Dunk the Talls descendants (All three of them)

Starkside of the Force

I just skimmed through ASOS for a quick re-read and noticed that another character is referred too as being "thick as a castle wall." I think I remember Brienne and Dunk both being described this way at various points in the books. Just randomly during a Samwell chapter he talks about Pyp describing Grenn as "thick as a castle wall." I know it's heavy speculation on my part, but Grenn's a pretty big guy, and by Sam and Jon's descriptions, he's still getting bigger and taller.

He could be another one of the Dunk descendants GRRM has alluded to. It would be even more interesting since he's such good friends with Jon, just like Dunk was with Jon's possible ancestor Aegon V.

• 3 months later...

Brienne is the descendant of Duncan as GRRM told us. Old Nan's true name is a mystery but i dont buy it being Nymeria. She is most likely a wildling woman. Ygritte told Jon that they remember so many things are forgotten at the south of the wall. Old Nan's stories are unique and all of them are of the North. And the woman kissing Duncan in Bran's vision could be any. There are numereous Stark daughters, aunts and widows at that time. The upcoming D%E story is called The Sheowolves of Winterfell.

In short, your theory is most likely wrong.

She told Arya and Sansa that the Titan of Braavos feasts on the flesh of highborn girls and that certainly isn't a story of the North.

• 1 month later...

How bout this, eh...

"Robert was the true steel." Clash

"I am no mean judge of men, and you [Dunk] are the true steel." TSS

Robert Baratheon is a descendant of Dunk the lunk! (Just kidding ... right?)

And this...

"Of these seven, only Ser Barristan Selmy is made of the true steel, and Selmy is old."

So Robert & Barristan are distant cousins and descendants of Dunk the Lunk, thick as a castle wall :D

Tanselle:

The puppeteer who worked the dragon was good to watch too; a tall drink of water, with the olive skin and black hair of Dorne.

“Tanselle Too-Tall, the boys used to call me.” - “You’re not too tall,” Dunk blurted out. “You’re just right for. . .“ (The Hedge Knight)

Nan:

Then there came a brown-haired girl slender as a spear who stood on the tips of her toes to kiss the lips of a young knight as tall as Hodor. (ADWD)

Two different persons.

Brienne seems likely personality-wise and appearance-wise, but it does not make much logical sense. Dunk was of the Kingsguard, he couldn't marry, I don't think the lord of Tarth would be likely to marry his children to some knight's bastards.

A hedge knight or indeed a KG can get a bastard on a highborn unmarried lady. I don't think a highborn female bastard would impossible for a Tarth to marry, they are not that rich or powerful, it would depend on the lady's particular situation. She might come with a dowry and the support of her family.

Likewise Dunk could have placed a cuckoo in the nest of a highborn married lady e.g. the wife of the Lord of Tarth.

Or, if the only Tarth offspring in a particular generation was a Tarth unmarried lady's bastard, they might be legitimised and get the title.

It seemed possible until The Princess and the Queen that Tarth could have been a recently created house, for the purpose of doing something for Dunk's bastard, but we know now that Tarth is older at least than Dunk's era.

I don't care how it happened it clearly happened. There is the giant clue of the shield and all her character traits and strength.

Tanselle:

The puppeteer who worked the dragon was good to watch too; a tall drink of water, with the olive skin and black hair of Dorne.

“Tanselle Too-Tall, the boys used to call me.” - “You’re not too tall,” Dunk blurted out. “You’re just right for. . .“ (The Hedge Knight)

Nan:

Then there came a brown-haired girl slender as a spear who stood on the tips of her toes to kiss the lips of a young knight as tall as Hodor. (ADWD)

Two different persons.

A tall woman could definitely still need to stand on her tip toes to kiss (on the lips) a knight as tall as Hodor. In fact, she'd probably have to be tall to manage it.

Black v Brown hair is a bigger distinction...

A hedge knight or indeed a KG can get a bastard on a highborn unmarried lady.

A Kingsguard can't, they're sworn to celibacy.

"I have heard in the Sunset Kingdoms men take solemn vows to keep chaste ..."

"It is," Arstan said, when the question was put. "There are many such orders. The maesters ... The septons ... The Kingsguard and the Night's Watch."

Nope. Reason number one: Old Nan isn't exactly "too tall", quite the opposite. Some of it may be due to age, but not all. Reason number two: Wrong faith. Reason number three: Very north-centric stories. Reason number four: physical distance to Dorne. Reason number five: Why would Tanselle stay in Winterfell, far away from any friends (and Dunk)? Reason number six: How would she get there in the first place?

Not a complete list.

Lady Tarth wouldn't be the only (soon to be) married woman Dunk tumbled. It's implied that he had a one night stand with Lady Rohanne Webber shortly before she married.

Nope, he says very clearly she never came to his sickbed. Made it sound like the scene in the stable was their first moment together since the fight in the stream.

My theory is that Ser eustace is too old to father a child, without a male heir they would lose the hunting/foresting rights to Wats Wood given to Lord Webber by King Daeron after the redgrass field. Chances are it was all Egg's idea. He gets Dunk to go back and "visit".

Their child(ren)would have the Osgrey name and assumed true born. Free to marry into other noble houses. Maybe they had twins and the girl married into Tarth.

That would explain Brienne's freckles, inherited from her webber genes. The freakish tall thing can skip generations just like the freckles.

Lewyn Martell, Lucamore Strong, Terrence Toyne, Arys Oakheart, Boros Blount, Preston Greenfield, Sandor Clegane, Osmund Kettleblack and Jaime Lannister want to argue with that.

They did, doesn't mean they can. A Kingsguard is also sworn to protect his king, yet Jaime did just the opposite.

A tall woman could definitely still need to stand on her tip toes to kiss (on the lips) a knight as tall as Hodor. In fact, she'd probably have to be tall to manage it.

Black v Brown hair is a bigger distinction...

If someone is the right height to kiss, then the definitely do not need to stand on the tips of their toes. Tanselle is too tall, taller than the average populace but she's the right height for Dunk. THe girl in Bran's vision is not the right height.

If someone is the right height to kiss, then the definitely do not need to stand on the tips of their toes. Tanselle is too tall, taller than the average populace but she's the right height for Dunk. THe girl in Bran's vision is not the right height.

It's never said that she is the same height as Dunk, just that he wouldn't have to kneel to kiss her.

A pretty girl, and tall. I would not have to kneel to kiss that one. He knew how to kiss.

A tavern girl had showed him one night in Lannisport, a year ago, but she’d been so short she had to sit

on the table to reach his lips.

Dunk is 6'11" according to Aemon when he measured him at the Citadel. Even a woman who is six feet tall would still have to stand on her toes to kiss someone that tall. :)

Archived