What would have happened to Theon if Balon died before GoT?

Berelyn

Uhm, selling Arya as a deal sweetener for the right to use a bridge is probably some indication that Arya's happiness wasn't Cat's priority...

Not really. Without that bridge and the Frey's army the chances of the Starks winning this war would getmuch, much lower, which would be bad for Arya too obviously.

I think it likely that Theon would initially be warily accepted as Lord, but after a short time his poor leadership and general character would have soured the Islanders to him. It wouldn't surprise me if an unfortunate accident ended up putting Victarian in charge.

Uhm, selling Arya as a deal sweetener for the right to use a bridge is probably some indication that Arya's happiness wasn't Cat's priority...

Was Cat offering her as a deal sweetner, or did Frey demand a second marriage for his grandson? Or was it his son? I can never keep track. Point is, Walder Frey knew he has the Starks in a bind, and was going to extract every last advantage he could before taking a gamble on them.

I sure Arya would rather preserve the lives and safety of her family over remaining unmarried in the future.

I think it likely that Theon would initially be warily accepted as Lord, but after a short time his poor leadership and general character would have soured the Islanders to him.

I doubt that the Ironborn would care about Theon's more unlikable personality traits(if not respect them) nor do I think he would be that overly terrible of leader. His problems at Winterfell dealt more about the issue of how only a Stark can control the castle and how he just turned on their lord.

Archived