TWOW prologue?

If The Winds of Winter confirms to the Others/Maesters pattern, it should definitely be Marwyn.

Although it would suck if he dies just like all the other prologue characters do (even though Chett didn't die in his prologue; he died later on the Fist) because we hardly knew him!

It might be very abstract, but what about Maester Colemon? We haven't heard about the Vale-arc for quite a while and this might also include the death of Robert Arryn. Maybe he finds out about Petyr killing Robert by poison or something, so Baelish needs to get him out of his way.

Btw, I'm new to the forums, but I've been reading them for quite a while now. Please excuse, if I'm doing any grammatical or vocabulary mistakes, but English is not my mother tongue. :$

I think it's gotta be a maester that's kinda how it's been played out the last 5 books. IIRC, GRRM said we'll be seeing The Rock and Highgarden from a POV. With the past prologues working the way they have been, and what GRRM said, it's gotta be a maester at CR or HG. Two more possibilities: maester at storm's end or maester at Eastwatch w Cotter Pyke. I wouldn't be totally upset w a Pyat Pree prologue either

Just a random thought, but in Kevan's last chapter, Tommen was complaining about the bad cat at KL & Kevan said he would have a trap set. Since Arya can warg into Nymeria from such a distance, I would love the prologue to be from the black cat with Arya warging the cat and getting out right before cat bites it. She could get all sorts of info on the plotting going on in in KL and use it to her advantage when she returns. Just a thought.

I agree with a marwyn prologue rendering him useless to the story. he seems too important of a character to ax in that he could serve to give dany a ton of know-how she will desperately need once the mureenese knot is resolved.

i'm hoping for a maester prologue in Oldtown. Whether it is the Hightower maester lomys, archmaester vaellyn, or another, who knows. It couldl be set during the next conclave to pick a new grand maester since pycelle is dead, then I'd bet on Arch-M Vaellyn's the pov. It might talk about how long ago Marwyn left, how they're glad he isn't their for conclave, how the knowledge he possesses is dangerous to the realm. Maybe add in the confusion of an Ironborn attack on Oldtown. Maybe a little advancement for Samwell, as in, he earned a bunch of links faster than anyone or something. Also, I could see it being a minor maester who FM-Pate throttles when he goes to use his key.

It seems like an Oldtown maester would be one of the best POVs to advance the story and tie a bunch of stuff together. Oldtown might not have a bunch of news from the North or from Essos (and thus not spoiling the battles of winterfell and mureen), but as a setting for a prologue it could update the reader significantly on the going-ons in the south, then aDwD-dropped POVs for the Battle of Winterfell and Mureen, then throw us into the thick of everything about roughly the same time the whole world over, depending on what GRRM decides will happen on and off-screen [like the aegon's siege of storm's end and the inevitable kerfuffle coming in KL after pycelle and kevan die ...]

Where do prologues fall within the timelines of where one book ends and the next begins? Can/do they go beyond where the first POVs of a book are? Last time we were in Oldtown it was the end of aFfC so there is some timeline down there to catch up on towards the end of aDwD, right?

I want a Jon Arryn chapter from before Game of Thrones even started. Dealing with Jamie and Stannis, talking aout Gendry and Maya Stone and Edric Storm. Revealing more about Stannis and Renly and Littlefinger and Varys. All revealing some enormous plot twist we'd never guess at.. And ending with Lysa making him a cup of Dream Wine because he looks tired.

I know its unlikely but i would love a Howland Reed prololgue, it could give us an idea of where he has been and his plans for the future, and maybe even a hint or two on the true parents of Jon Snow.

Please not, I want Howland to live longer than the prologue and I still think the only fact, we can be sure about, is: PROLOGUE CHARAKTERS ALWAYS DIE

It might be very abstract, but what about Maester Colemon? We haven't heard about the Vale-arc for quite a while and this might also include the death of Robert Arryn. Maybe he finds out about Petyr killing Robert by poison or something, so Baelish needs to get him out of his way.

Btw, I'm new to the forums, but I've been reading them for quite a while now. Please excuse, if I'm doing any grammatical or vocabulary mistakes, but English is not my mother tongue. :$

Yes, Maester Colemon would be interesting. He may not witness the death of Robert Arryn though - he may get killed by Petyr because he refused to give Sweetrobin more of that medicine that was harmful in big doses ( I don't remember the name, sorry) and Petyr may decide to kill him because the maester may have become suspicious of his intentions. And the refusal to cooperate would add to this too.

I was just thinking, and forgive me if this has been said before. What if the prologue for TWOW is Pycelle's death? We know it will be a maester, and the awesome thread from about a week ago re the telling of Kevan's story made me think. It could tell the readers, if not the book characters, if he knows what the real Aegon would look like before he dies, not to mention the real reason for his death.

Where did you hear/read/learn this? It hasn't been confirmed the prologue character is a maester, now is it?

My guess is a Nights Watch brother at Eastwatch describing the dead rising from the sea to attack.

That is a good possibility. A lot of things are going to happen up north, and Eastwatch is currently trying to safe the wildlings at Hardhome, and trying to get the mammots on their side of the Wall. Things could go wrong there.

Possible prologue musings:

1) Darkstar: assassination of a Tyrell, thoughts of Myrcella incident

2) Benjen way up north (with the Thenns or CotF)

3) Nymeria and her wolves in the riverlands or up north

Darkstar being the prologue could give us inside in his thought as to why he attacked Myrcella. I read a theory once that he was working for Doran, but obviously Doran did not want Myrcella harmed, so perhaps he went rogue later on. If Darkstar was indeed working for Doran and Oberyn at one point, it could give us more insight on Doran's plans, it would tells us what happened to Ser Balon Swann, and it could end with Areo and Obara killing him - but it would make Obara's mission a relatively short one

Benjen would be another possibility, since I have the feeling he's very far up north now, if he's still alive, and GRRM did say we would see a lot more of what really lies north - Benjen could provide us that inside, and his thoughts as to why he joined the NW (I'm guessing it has something to do with Lyanna-Rhaegar-Roberts Rebellion, with Benjen blaming himself for a part of it, perhaps helping Lyanna get south. That's a whole other theory though). The only bad thing about Benjen being the prologue POV is that it would end with his death. Finally finding him after four books, only to die at the end of the chapter would be rather disappointing.

Nymeria and her wolves - that would require us getting a POV of anything other than a human, and we've only gotten human POVs before. Or it would require Arya warging into Nymeria - which would mean Arya dies somehow at the end of the POV, since warging into an animal makes it your thoughts as well as the animals. I think this one is the less likely one.

It could also be Brienne, since she and Jaime are together now, and her story arc seems about to end, since Jaime is capable of going out and trying to find Sansa himself now, and he still has a lot of redeeming to do. Brienne's death could give him another reason to get more honourable than he ever was.

Pycelle being the POV seems unlikely to me as well. He died in the last chapter. I know several chapters happen simultaneously, but it would be highly unlogical to show Pycelle death in one POV, and showing him alive in the next.

I think it would be cool if we had a Bran prologue where he is having a weirwood dream of something in the past, maybe its something that plays an insight into something thats happened thats vital to the futre plot, its highly unlikely i suppose, but i sure would enjoy to see it!

I think it would be cool if we had a Bran prologue where he is having a weirwood dream of something in the past, maybe its something that plays an insight into something thats happened thats vital to the futre plot, its highly unlikely i suppose, but i sure would enjoy to see it!

That would suck tho if Bran died in the prologue after all he went through to find Bloodraven.. but GRRM does seem to love killing Starks when we least expect it

That would suck tho if Bran died in the prologue after all he went through to find Bloodraven.. but GRRM does seem to love killing Starks when we least expect it

Was thinking more along the lines of Bran possibly witnessing a sacrifice of somesort himself, maybe something that the CoTF where apart of, and that he could gleam some sort of info that would help for whats to come, but yea, your right, it would suck very much if he where to die. TWoW better get a move on!

We don't know it will be a Maester. There's been one Maester POV; Cressen.

The prologues and epilogues follow no real pattern besides Beyond the Wall, and in the south. It could be anyone. Literally anyone, alive that is.

My guesses are Howland and Wylla. because why not?

Archived