Khal Jhaqo - Danaerys standoff

adiman83

OK, so at the end of ADWD Dany and Drogon are found by Jhaqo'a khalasar (spelled correctly?).

IMO they don't stand a chance in front of Dany and her dragon. They would clearly loose. Even the highly trained and armored armies of Westeros can't handle a dragon, so how could the Dothraki have a chance of winning?

Anyway ... I don't think she would kill them all, most likely just Jhaqo and them assume control over the entire horde. This time I think they would obey her. We know the Dothraki follow power and not bloodlines. And as far as I'm concerned nothing screams of power more like having a very dangerous dragon as Drogon on your side.

There is even a quote somewhere that seems to support the idea of Dany going back to rule the Dothraki before trying to achieve her final goals. It's something Quaithe said to her in a vision:

"To go north yo must journey south, to reach the west you must go east. To go forward you must go back and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow"

It also kind of points to the fact that in order to take the IT, if she ever does that, Dany needs to be ruthless and not weak as she was in Mereen.

Any theories on this?

Im not sure what dannys next move is but the current situation its pretty epic, From her chancing upon a whole kalasar to take over. To her seeming to be able to take control of Drogon

To the armies fighting for her at mereen. But mostly she has decided to stop playing house wife at Mereen and she is ready to take her rabbit ears off and move forward with her life. And start Dance 2.0

It's not a given that they're going to go over her just because. Could Dany even control Drogon enough to burn them?

The Dothraki are great archers as well as riders and if the full khalasar was there when Dany ran into them they could probably get at least one arrow in a weak spot on Drogon.

It's not a given that they're going to go over her just because. Could Dany even control Drogon enough to burn them?

The Dothraki are great archers as well as riders and if the full khalasar was there when Dany ran into them they could probably get at least one arrow in a weak spot on Drogon.

50 men on horse back stands no chance vs a dragon, Look at mereen as an example in the fighting pits.

. From below a spear came flying, followed by a flight of crossbow bolts. One passed so close that Dany felt it brush her cheek. Others skittered off Drogon’s scales, lodged between them, or tore through the membrane of his wings. She remembered the dragon twisting beneath her, shuddering at the impacts, as she tried desperately to cling to his scaled back. The wounds were smoking. Dany saw one of the bolts burst into sudden flame. Another fell away, shaken loose by the beating of his wings.

He was pierced by crossbow bolts which hit harder then bows, And he was fine, the ones that did hit him just burned up or were dislodged before the could burn. Drogon can easily handle the 50 Dorth.

That was how Khal Jhaqo found her, when half a hundred mounted warriors emerged from the drifting smoke.

Almost all the warriors in Jhaqo's force were once Khal Drogo's There going to recognize Dany. If Dany kills Jhaqo and the simple fact that her "stallion" is a dragon, Its not hard for he to take control of the thousands of riders. She is a in prime chance here. All she needs to do is kill Jhaqo when he is only with 50 men. instead of his full force. Then ride south to Meeren Deal with the war there make her army even bigger from the left over forces of the battle. then ride across the Dorth Sea and grow her force from the other khalasar she chances across. Until she ends up at a free city on the west coast. Tale that city grow her army bigger then sail over the narrow sea.

I forget, was Dany actually riding Drogon when Jhaqo's khalasar encounters her or just standing next to him? Because if she's actually riding a dragon I could see a good deal of the Dothraki kneeling down immediately because so much of their society is based around the power of 'riders'.

I have a hunch this particular encounter is going to resolve itself in a way nobody is expecting. Maybe Drogon will abandon her at the wrong moment and she'll spend part of the next book a prisoner. Maybe the Horde isn't alone out there. Who knows.

After all, what are the odds that she'll kill him, claim his horde, go back to Meereen, defeat Volantis and Yunkai there, meet up with Tyrion and Victarion, disentangle her forces from the city, load everyone onto boats and then set sail for Westeros without anything else going wrong?

I forget, was Dany actually riding Drogon when Jhaqo's khalasar encounters her or just standing next to him? Because if she's actually riding a dragon I could see a good deal of the Dothraki kneeling down immediately because so much of their society is based around the power of 'riders'.

She was standing beside Drogon.

Dany rose, wiped her hands on her ragged undertunic, and went to stand beside her dragon. That was how Khal Jhaqo found her, when half a hundred mounted warriors emerged from the drifting smoke.

I have a hunch this particular encounter is going to resolve itself in a way nobody is expecting. Maybe Drogon will abandon her at the wrong moment and she'll spend part of the next book a prisoner. Maybe the Horde isn't alone out there. Who knows.

After all, what are the odds that she'll kill him, claim his horde, go back to Meereen, defeat Volantis and Yunkai there, meet up with Tyrion and Victarion, disentangle her forces from the city, load everyone onto boats and then set sail for Westeros without anything else going wrong?

I think you miss understand the chapter.

Dany goes threw a transformation on her walk. She becomes the dragon. She experienced several visions all telling her the same thing. Be who your meant to be. Also she has a change of heart on how she views politics and war. Mainly the killing of innocents. She forgets the name of the girl that Drogon killed in Mereen, Where has that girl's name haunted her threw out all of her arcs. Danny is reborn and as soon as her rebirth is complete she screams for Drogon. He comes to her she jumps on his back and she guides him and controls him in flight. Dany's Character has taken a turn in a darker nature. She is no longer the beacon of pure justice a moral high ground. She is the dragon and she is going to do what she wants and not care so much about the aftermath. She even relates her actions in Mereen which were a moral standing. As the actions of a young girl. Further showing the fact she is finally going to accept her family words fire and blood. Thus unchaining her self and her dragons. Dany is going to be fun to read from this point.

Its safe to assume Drogon is under Dany's Control. Esp when they eat together as one.

She called until her voice was hoarse … and Drogon came, snorting plumes of smoke. The grass bowed down before him. Dany leapt onto his back. She stank of blood and sweat and fear, but none of that mattered. “To go forward I must go back,” she said. Her bare legs tightened around the dragon’s neck. She kicked him, and Drogon threw himself into the sky. Her whip was gone, so she used her hands and feet and turned him north by east, the way the scout had gone. Drogon went willingly enough; perhaps he smelled the rider’s fear. In a dozen heartbeats they were past the Dothraki, as he galloped far below. To the right and left, Dany glimpsed places where the grass was burned and ashen. Drogon has come this way before , she realized. Like a chain of grey islands, the marks of his hunting dotted the green grass sea. A vast herd of horses appeared below them. There were riders too, a score or more , but they turned and fled at the first sight of the dragon. The horses broke and ran when the shadow fell upon them, racing through the grass until their sides were white with foam, tearing the ground with their hooves … but as swift as they were, they could not fly. Soon one horse began to lag behind the others. The dragon descended on him, roaring, and all at once the poor beast was aflame, yet somehow he kept on running, screaming with every step, until Drogon landed on him and broke his back. Dany clutched the dragon’s neck with all her strength to keep from sliding off. The carcass was too heavy for him to bear back to his lair, so Drogon consumed his kill there, tearing at the charred flesh as the grasses burned around them, the air thick with drifting smoke and the smell of burnt horsehair. Dany, starved, slid off his back and ate with him, ripping chunks of smoking meat from the dead horse with bare, burned hands

LOL, the Dothraki are going to bow to the woman riding Drogon, not Drogon himself. That would be like a khalasar bowing to a horse.

Lol. So are you saying that if Dany didn't have Drogo and the Dothraki come upon here in that field, they bow to Dany????

Lol. So are you saying that if Dany didn't have Drogo and the Dothraki come upon here in that field, they bow to Dany????

Would be an ugly scene if she didn't have dragons.

Fuck that, without dragons or a powerful husband she wouldn't be alive right now lol.

I didn't say that - far from it. But Dany is the one who wields Drogon, so the Dothraki will bow to HER. This is a really simple idea; I'm surprised it needs explaining. The Dothraki do not bow to mounts.

Dany rose, wiped her hands on her ragged undertunic, and went to stand beside her dragon. That was how Khal Jhaqo found her, when half a hundred mounted warriors emerged from the drifting smoke.

Well then, I suppose her best bet is to jump on his back as soon as possible and demonstrate herself as a dragon rider. Like I said, that would probably win her more than a few Dothraki. Better in the long run than burning them imo.

I didn't say that - far from it. But Dany is the one who wields Drogon, so the Dothraki will bow to HER. This is a really simple idea; I'm surprised it needs explaining. The Dothraki do not bow to mounts.

Lol it isn't a simple idea, none of it is simple you are just trying to simplify it for your own sake. There are several different prophecies at work here, there isn't anything simple about it.

You don't agree with Drogon is the stallion that mounts the world and attempted to correct me saying that the Dothraki will bow to Dany, but Dany's only power is having Drogon on her side; the Dothraki believe that Dany's baby was the Stallion that Mounts the world and as Drogon is her baby that would make him a prime candidate in their minds which is why they are more apt to bow instead of fight in this situation.

But they saw her riding first then she stopped to eat the horse flesh, its pretty obvious they will know she was the one riding it.

Archived