why did Stannis mock Maester Cressen?

im317

I wonder if anyone has considered the possibility that Sannis may have been trying to save Cressen's life. There is a later scene where he mentions to Davos that Melisadre had seen Cressen's death at that party in the flames. This indicates that Stannis had also known Cressen was about to die. Combine this with the unusual circumstances of Cressen not being awoken for the feast and I think its possible Stannis was trying to forestall the prophecy by allowing the Maester to sleep through the would be fatal event. Later when Cressen came anyway Stannis participated in his humiliation so he would leave.

in aCoK prologue Lady Selyse suggests Cressen should wear Parchface's crown and Stannis more or less commands Cressen to wear it. why does Stannis do this? it goes against his character and everything he stands for.

Selyse didn't suggest it, she orders it. Stannis tells Patchface to do as he is ordered by his Queen. As soon as Selyse makes only a suggestion to mock him even more Stannis immediately tells her she's going to far and that Cressen has served him well. To me it feels a bit as how he deals with the R'hllor followers in general. He gives them some room to do their things (because he needs them), but also sets limits to how far they can go.

The Baratheons are spineless? Robert charging into a battle with a fucking warhammer, Renly putting together an almost flawless plan(only magic can stop him) to become king, and Stannis holding Storms End are all activities that need a "spine" Yes they have issues (less then most) but spineless is one thing the Baratheons are not.

spineless may not be the right word, but that seem to be easily cowed by the almighty "V" at least thats the public perception. Robert and Stan both have shown weakness for women, not that other characters haven't. But no one would say that Rob or Stan were bitches in the field, only in the "home".

spineless may not be the right word, but that seem to be easily cowed by the almighty "V" at least thats the public perception. Robert and Stan both have shown weakness for women, not that other characters haven't. But no one would say that Rob or Stan were bitches in the field, only in the "home".

Okay, first off - Stannis isn't "cowed" my Melisandre. He listens to her, because she has shown herself to know things, but he still very much follows his own mind when he disagrees with Melisandre. Secondly, any power or influence she has over him doesn't come from her being a woman, but from being a Red Priestess / Shadowbinder, her sex is secondary to her power here. So yeah, she's a woman, but that's not why Stannis keeps her around. If you're referring to Selyse, then it's fairly evident that Stannis is the King, and she's the Queen - and their relative power is ranked like that.

Robert wasn't cowed so much as he had a weakness for women, that's true, but again it's not Cersei's sex or womanhood that keeps him in check (somewhat) in their marriage, it's Tywin's goodwill (well, gold) and the Iron Throne's dependence on it.

So yeah, they both have issues with women, I'll give you that - Stannis seems uncomfortable in their company, and Robert... well, yeah, that argument speaks for itself.

Stannis' wife is an extension of him, if people dont do what she says in his presence it makes him look weak. I bet if no one was around Stannis would not have cared much.

What if Stannis just tells her to shut her mouth? Does that make him look weak too?

I really like Stannis, he's one of my favourite characters. But I mislike that he didn't intervene when Cressen was mocked in the first place. Not because it's dickish, but because It's out of character for him. He never does something like that again.

If it's really about showing how Stannis always tries to uphold the law, George could have thought of a much better way of conveying that. The "make it Ser Jaime, the Kingslayer" is a perfect example of showing how Stannis thinks in a very clever way.

Cressen himself even thinks that it's out of character for Stannis. That's why the theory makes sense that he was, as it turns out in a blunt and counterproductive way, trying to protect Cressen. First by keeping him away from the feast, by trying to lower the value of Cressens words by saying he's ill and confused, and by trying to shut him up by allowing Selyse's mockery.Or maybe he just got tired of Cressen continuing to disagree while Stannis has already decided which course they would follow. One of my bosses once told me that is was good to give input and advise in the process of decision making, but once the decision is made you go with it. I think that's how it works with Stannis too.

It's not beyond Stannis to tell Selyse to shut up. I think he does it several times, so that would also suggest he has deeper motives for grudgingly allowing the mockery until he feels it goes to far. So i believe it's more than just not looking weak, pleasing the Queen and Mel or upholding laws.

Even though Stannis is awesome, he can be a real prick at times. I don't buy that he didn't want to disrespect his Queen amoungst his men, because he really never cared if men chose to respect him, he demanded it. Stannis took up foreign gods, took up a crazy mistress and almost fought an unwinnable battle. The Mannis doesn't care what other's think. On one hand it can make him a real ass because he can be heartless, but what makes him so respectable is he also doesn't care what the others think when he knows what's right.

Archived