why did Stannis mock Maester Cressen?

im317

I didn't take the quote as Stannis refering to Gilly, but more like the saying "better than a kick in the teeth". Like if you want coke and they only have Pepsi, well its still better than a kick in the teeth you might say.

I like this interpretation a lot :D , but I have my doubts that "whore's milk" is part of a common figure of speech.

I like this interpretation a lot :D , but I have my doubts that "whore's milk" is part of a common figure of speech.

Probably not, but perhaps he was just ad libbing.

Mothers milk would be better than goats milk, but thats still better than whores milk kind of thing.

Or he was calling Gilly a whore, because he probably didn't know any better

Renly was his sworn liege lord, thus Penrose owed loyalty to Renly equally.

King > Liege Lord, yes a man will more likely declare for his liege, since his liege will be the one with the closer army, but King should come first.

So why doesn't it pass to Joffrey as Robert's eldest trueborn son? I think Penrose will trust himself more then he will trust Stannis, furthermore he is actually correct.

Because Joffrey is King of the Iron Throne, not Lord Paramount of Storms End

Sure, they accepted a kinslayer who murdered their lord through black magic, obviously that's a wrong thing to do.

What is black magic, in ASOIAF? Renly was a traitor, Stannis isn't the first person in Westeros to kill his kin because of treason, Bloodraven being another living example.

Well this is Stannis. He can be an ass sometimes you know.

Exactly. This is Stannis, the man that went to the Wall, the man that intends to have justice for the murders of Eddard, Robert and Jon Arryn, the man who considers being a King a duty. Yeah, I'll let the occasional nasty comment slide, I think.

King > Liege Lord, yes a man will more likely declare for his liege, since his liege will be the one with the closer army, but King should come first.

Yet, everyone always goes on how Walder Frey should have let Robb though to assist Hoster and Edmure Tully. Similarly, by that logic the entire Stormlands and North should have handed Robert and Ned over to Aerys.

Because Joffrey is King of the Iron Throne, not Lord Paramount of Storms End

Joffrey being king doesn't negate his claim to the LP of Storm's End, furthermore IIRC Stannis also claims to be the King of the Iron Throne.

Which changes absolutely nothing. If you take the stance that a man's duty is to his king over his liege lord then it matters not who the liege lord and who the king are.

No, your assertion that it means absolutely nothing is categorically false. Blood is considered extremely important in westeros, indeed the whole society is based around it. As such, it changes everything.

No, your assertion that it means absolutely nothing is categorically false. Blood is considered extremely important in westeros, indeed the whole society is based around it. As such, it changes everything.

Which is why during the Dance of the Dragons the twin Kingsguard felt the obligation to both back the same ruler?

Blood is important, fealty is the entire basis of the system. Also, Areys was Stannis blood as well.

Hey, Aerys was family too and the rightful king. Mr "I am all about duty and keeping the law" should've obeyed him.

What is black magic, in ASOIAF? Renly was a traitor, Stannis isn't the first person in Westeros to kill his kin because of treason, Bloodraven being another living example.

Except for that Bloodraven who likely had access to black magic, didn't use it to kill his brother. He killed him on the battlefield where Daemon at least had a chance.

I remember when I was with Special Forces. Seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into a camp to inoculate some children. We'd left the camp after we had inoculated the children for polio. And this old man came running after us, and he was crying. He couldn't say. We went back there, and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. They they were in a pile. A pile of little arms. And, I remember, I cried, I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out. I didn't know what I wanted to do. And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it. I never want to forget it. And then I realized, like I was shot, like I was shot with a diamond bullet through my forehead. And I thought, My God, the genius of that! The genius. The will to do that. Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized, they were stronger than we. Because they could stand it. These were not monsters. These were men, strained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who have families, who have children, who are filled with love...that they had the strength, the strength to do that. If I had ten divisions of those men, then our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have men who are moral, and at the same time, who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling, without passion. Without judgment. Without Judgment. Because it's judgment that defeats us.

The above is in ref to Renly's assassination, an act which would not even make the top 10 most heinous crimes of the W5K. Honour in battle is complete bullshit. Battle is blood & death & shit & piss. Battle is grown men crying like babies & screaming for their mothers. Battle is the most inglorious thing that exists. All war is a crime.

The above is in ref to Renly's assassination, an act which would not even make the top 10 most heinous crimes of the W5K. Honour in battle is complete bullshit. Battle is blood & death & shit & piss. Battle is grown men crying like babies & screaming for their mothers. Battle is the most inglorious thing that exists. All war is a crime.

I take it you thought the Red Wedding was perfectly justified then?

Archived