Why have there only been six Aegon Targaryens?

Dead Wolf

There is a seventh, but he was before Aegon the Conqueror and was never king.

He was the son of Gaemon and Daenys Targaryen and great-great-grandfather to Aegon I. He was part of the generations of Targaryens that lived post-doom but pre-conquest.

So this supposed Aegon VI is actually the seventh Aegon that we know about.

There was six royal Aegons, the sixth was killed years before his rule. So I think in a very small way it could foreshadow another ruling Aegon. I don't think preconquest Aegon and Griff count (if he's fake) towards the total because they aren't royal.

There is a seventh, but he was before Aegon the Conqueror and was never king.

He was the son of Gaemon and Daenys Targaryen and great-great-grandfather to Aegon I. He was part of the generations of Targaryens that lived post-doom but pre-conquest.

So this supposed Aegon VI is actually the seventh Aegon that we know about.

There was six royal Aegons, the sixth was killed years before his rule. So I think in a very small way it could foreshadow another ruling Aegon. I don't think preconquest Aegon and Griff count (if he's fake) towards the total because they aren't royal.

^ This. You only get numbers tacked onto your name if you're the king. I wouldn't doubt if there have been several non-ruling Aegons since the Conquest.

---

Also, in reply to the OP, a few days ago someone mentioned that the Elder Brother on the Quiet Isle was foreshadowing a seventh King Aegon during this exchange:

We have found silver cups and iron pots, sacks of wool and bolts of silk, rusted helms and shining swords... aye, and rubies.”

That interested Ser Hyle. “Rhaegar’s rubies?”

“It may be. Who can say? The battle was long leagues from here, but the river is tireless and patient. Six have been found. We are all waiting for the seventh.”

Though I favor a different interpretation of that passage, I could see Jon taking the name Aegon VII Targaryen. It's at least a reasonable alternative to the "Rhaegar Ruby Theory" as it stands.

Maybe Jon"s real name is Aegon?

I do believe Jon's real name will be a Targaryen name.

But Lyanna would have had to give him a name not Rhaegar because fans assume that he wanted a girl. It would have been a girl name picked out by him. If R+L is true, Its also possible that Lyanna hadnt given him a name yet because she didn't know if they would get out alive until Ned showed up. So if jon did have another name, the likelihood of it coming up is zilch. No Jon isn't gonna change his name, the name that Ned Stark his father gave him.

Archived