Why have there only been six Aegon Targaryens?

Dead Wolf

There have been more Aegon Targaryens that we know of (and probably more that we don't), but only five king Aegons.

And it took time and circumstances before there were any additional king Aegons after the first. There were four kings between the first and second king Aegon, including the extremely long reign of Jaehaerys (who was succeeded by his grandson). The second and third king Aegons did not emerge until the Dance of the Dragons nearly 130 years after Aegon I landed in Westeros. The fourth king Aegon was the son of the brother of the third king Aegon. The fifth king Aegon was the fourth son of the fourth son of the son of the fourth king Aegon.

Aegon I (reigned 1-37) conquered Westeros

Aegon II (reigned 129-131) was the son of Viserys I and Alicent Hightower

Aegon III (reigned 131-157) was the son of Viserys I's daughter and heir Rhaenyra

Aegon IV (reigned 172-184) was the son of Viserys II, son of Rhaenyra and brother of Aegon III

Aegon V (reigned 233-259) was the son of Maekar I, son of Daeron II, son of Aegon IV

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Viserys I's father was named Aegon. But perhaps the first Targaryen kings did not name their sons (or older sons with a chance to become king after them) Aegon?

It is interesting that the next king Aegons come from two competing branches trying to stake their claim to the throne. And Maekar I almost certainly never imagined his son would ever be king when he named him Aegon (who was the fifth king Aegon).

As for non-kings, Aegon I's great great grandfather appears to have been named Aegon. Daemon "Blackfyre" Targaryen's oldest son was named Aegon. I think it is likely some of the thus far unnamed Targaryen sons were named Aegon.

1 - Aegon the Conqueror

2 - Aegon - fought his sister in the Dance of Dragons

3 - Aegon the Dragonbane - the last dragons died when he was king

4 - Aegon the Unworthy - Aemon the Dragonknight was his brother

5 - Aegon the Unlikely - fourth son of a fourth son, Maester Aemon was his brother

6 - Baby Aegon - Rhaegars son. Was the Mad King killed before him? If he was then I guess he was king, if not then there has only been 5 Aegons

1 - Aegon the Conqueror

2 - Aegon - fought his sister in the Dance of Dragons

3 - Aegon the Dragonbane - the last dragons died when he was king

4 - Aegon the Unworthy - Aemon the Dragonknight was his brother

5 - Aegon the Unlikely - fourth son of a fourth son, Maester Aemon was his brother

6 - Baby Aegon - Rhaegars son. Was the Mad King killed before him? If he was then I guess he was king, if not then there has only been 5 Aegons

I believe technically Aegon (Rhaegar's son) died slightly after the Mad King so hence for a short window of time he was king. This also goes into the timeline of Jon being amidst two kings dying.

Although it probably happened pretty smoothly in most cases when there was stability, I haven't seen any proof or indication in the books that the heir to the king automatically becomes the king when the previous king dies, especially amidst conflict. Even though he died after Aerys I, without anyone to proclaim or fight for his cause, I doubt Aegon became king in any way, shape, or form before he was killed. If anyone were to argue this I would expect it to be Viserys and or Dany, who would have been his heirs, but I see no indication they thought Aegon was ever king even for a moment.

The rule of seven doesn't apply to the Starks, it's just strange that with so many groups of seven, there have only been 6 King Aegon Targaryens

Why? Because they follow the Old Gods?

Ned was "The Father" of Seven:

1-Robb

2-"Jon"

3-"Theon"

4-Sansa

5-Arya

6-Bran

7-Rickon

I really don't see what the problem is. You only get a number tacked to your name (1st, 2nd, 3rd etc) if you ascend to kingship. It's likely that there were numerous Aegons throughout history. Aegon seems to be a common name amongst the Targs like Brandon is to the Starks. However, only five Aegons have been king and should YG ascend to the throne then he will be Aegon VI. So tell me OP, what is the problem?

1) How "fashionable" the name Aegon also might a factor. There might have been fewer Aegon's in the family after Aegon the Unworthy. Hence how far down Egg is named as such, running out of 'Targaryen' names.

2) There is also the odd custom that Aemon mentions in AGoT p. 664

"My grandfather named me for Prince Aemon the Dragonknight, who was his uncle, or his father, depending on which tale you believe. Aemon, he called me …”

Aemon was not named by his father, but his grandfather. So it might be the case that the highest/ruling member of the family names children born further down the line of succession/family tree.

Archived