The thorns beneath the roses?

Audrey Arryn

Dany sees a vision in the House of the Undying of a blue rose in a wall of ice. This seems to be indicating Jon. This could mean that Jon will create chaos, if he hadn't already is his last aDwD chapter.

The thorns could well be foreshadowing future chaos. However, that need not be the case as the symbolism can be explained by events that have already happened.

Robert had been jesting with Jon and old Lord Hunter as the prince circled the field after unhorsing Ser Barristan in the final tilt to claim the champion’s crown. Ned remembered the moment when all the smiles died, when Prince Rhaegar Targaryen urged his horse past his own wife, the Dornish princess Elia Martell, to lay the queen of beauty’s laurel in Lyanna’s lap. He could see it still: a crown of winter roses, blue as frost.

Ned Stark reached out his hand to grasp the flowery crown, but beneath the pale blue petals the thorns lay hidden. He felt them clawing at his skin, sharp and cruel, saw the slow trickle of blood run down his fingers, and woke, trembling, in the dark.

Promise me, Ned, his sister had whispered from her bed of blood. She had loved the scent of winter roses.

- Eddard XV

Rhaegar placing the crown of winter roses in Lyanna's lap symbolizes him impregnating her with Jon. Ned reaching out to grasp that same flowery crown symbolizes him taking Jon and raising him as his son. The thorns symbolize the negatives that are associated with Jon's very existence, not only to the realm, but to Ned personally.

The thorns could well be foreshadowing future chaos. However, that need not be the case as the symbolism can be explained by events that have already happened.

- Eddard XV

Rhaegar placing the crown of winter roses in Lyanna's lap symbolizes him impregnating her with Jon. Ned reaching out to grasp that same flowery crown symbolizes him taking Jon and raising him as his son. The thorns symbolize the negatives that are associated with Jon's very existence, not only to the realm, but to Ned personally.

I don't necessarily agree that placing the crown in her lap symbolizes impregnating her. This would mean that the blue roses are a symbol for Jon. I do agree it symbolizes the chaos that he will drag her into.

Ned trying to grasp the crown, but hurting himself in the process, could also indicate the war he fought to get her out of the chaos, and the fact that he hurts himself shows that he failed to do so in time, which caused him pain (the death of half his family).

The blue roses are connected to Rhaegar and Lyanna, and thus also Jon, but there's also the fact Lyanna died with many blue roses present in the room. What do they symbolize, you think? Because I have no idea about those. She did not die surrounded by Jon, so what do the roses symbolize here?

I don't necessarily agree that placing the crown in her lap symbolizes impregnating her. This would mean that the blue roses are a symbol for Jon. I do agree it symbolizes the chaos that he will drag her into.

Ned trying to grasp the crown, but hurting himself in the process, could also indicate the war he fought to get her out of the chaos, and the fact that he hurts himself shows that he failed to do so in time, which caused him pain (the death of half his family).

The blue roses are connected to Rhaegar and Lyanna, and thus also Jon, but there's also the fact Lyanna died with many blue roses present in the room. What do they symbolize, you think? Because I have no idea about those. She did not die surrounded by Jon, so what do the roses symbolize here?

I already linked this up thread, but: Jon Snow and the Blue Winter Rosetta Stone. The blue roses symbolize Jon Snow. There are explanations for all of the blue rose mentions in the OP.

OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE, Jon fans have hijacked this thread starting with the OP itself.

(yes, I thought this was about the Tyrells).

I suggest you take after the words on your avatar and "keep calm." If this thread was started by Jon fan than how could it be hijacked by Jon fans?

Archived