Dragon foreshadowing at the wall?

CassBlackfyre

This has probably been posted before, but i've just caught this on my re-read a few minutes ago

We should have twenty trebuchets, not two, and they should be mounted on turntables so we could move them. It was a futile thought, he might as well wish for another thousand men, and maybe a dragon or three.

and

The ice pressed close around them and he could feel the cold seeping into his bones, the weight of the wall above his head, it felt like walking down the gullet of an Ice Dragon.

foreshadowing? or just wishful thinking?

But there already is a dragon at the Wall. ;)

I guess Jon Snow would be the Ice Dragon "the wall is yours" so the gullet of the ice dragon, the tunnels in the wall. probably means him.

wishful thinking

im 50/50, i feel like why bother the "and a dragon, or three" if it was just a random thought that Jon was having

There is something of a concept that has been around for awhile about ice dragons and the like. It ranges from there being ice dragons in the Lands of Always Winter, to the idea that the Wall is not natural and there is ice dragons beneath it. The latter example somewhat goes with the idea that the Horn of Winter is capable of waking the "Sleepers".

There is something of a concept that has been around for awhile about ice dragons and the like. It ranges from there being ice dragons in the Lands of Always Winter, to the idea that the Wall is not natural and there is ice dragons beneath it. The latter example somewhat goes with the idea that the Horn of Winter is capable of waking the "Sleepers".

So, hypothetically, if there are *ice* dragons under the wall, would any one besides the White Walkers want to release them? If they were to awaken then you would need a dragon or three at the wall to counter their threat.

So, hypothetically, if there are *ice* dragons under the wall, would any one besides the White Walkers want to release them? If they were to awaken then you would need a dragon or three at the wall to counter their threat.

Remember the NW oath?

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all nights to come."

They don't need to be evil dragons... nor does it mean that we fully understand what the others are, or if they are truly a threat (they probably are).

Remember the NW oath?

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all nights to come."

They don't need to be evil dragons... nor does it mean that we fully understand what the others are, or if they are truly a threat (they probably are).

Good points. It just seemed to me that ice dragons wouldn't be much help against creatures tied in with elemental ice.

Remember the NW oath?

Is there a thread about this?

I'm pretty sure that its covered in the Heresy threads... but there are dozens of those (I'm not even sure if they are updated anymore).

I'm rereading ASOS and right before the wildlings attack the wall with their Turtle, Jon commands they 'blown the horn to wake the sleepers' for the fight, literally meaning Grenn and others that hed sent to off for a nap.

I'm rereading ASOS and right before the wildlings attack the wall with their Turtle, Jon commands they 'blown the horn to wake the sleepers' for the fight, literally meaning Grenn and others that hed sent to off for a nap.

That's what I always thought the meaning of the horn that wakes the sleepers is. Simply alerting everyone that danger is near and waking up those who maybe asleep.

There is something else that could be hinted there though. Mance was banking on the Horn of Winter being able to destroy the Wall (well he wanted to fool them), and it is the same Horn of Winter that was able to wake the giants in legends. The two powers of the horn could be separate, but as I recall they were interpreted by a number to be one and the same. That is that when the horn is blown it would literally wake what is beneath the wall and sunder it.

It is implied in The Ice Dragon that when the Ice Dragon died, it melted and transformed into an extremely cold pond. So maybe some Ice Dragons transformed into ice blocks at the foundation of the Wall. The Horn of Winter made them sleep and can make them wake up again. This process brings down the Wall as expected.

It is implied in The Ice Dragon that when the Ice Dragon died, it melted and transformed into an extremely cold pond. So maybe some Ice Dragons transformed into ice blocks at the foundation of the Wall. The Horn of Winter made them sleep and can make them wake up again. This process brings down the Wall as expected.

You mean that children's book that GRRM wrote that may or may not be connected to the main storyline? I haven't read it, but I don't know if I would make a connection between the two.

Archived