How Much Does Benjen Know?

FranklynFowler

In Jon's first POV chapter when he's talking to Benjen, Jon said "I'm not your son!" and Benjen said "More's the pity"

This got me thinking, When Ned returned to the North to Rule Winterfell with his Sister's bones and a Bastard son, would he have lied to his brother and told some fake story about both of them. Or would he have told Benjen the truth about either Jon or Lyanna.

If he told him the truth (depending on which theory you subscribe to) would that have contributed to Benjen joining the Night's Watch as way to keep Ned's secret and therefore making sure someone knows the truth who's not in a dangerous position aka, warden of the north or hand of king and someone who isn't too far away like Howland Reed to tell Jon in case something goes wrong (like ned losing his head).

If this is true, i'm hoping that means Benjen will return in shape or form to tell Jon in the next 2 books.

In Jon's first POV chapter when he's talking to Benjen, Jon said "I'm not your son!" and Benjen said "More's the pity"

This got me thinking, When Ned returned to the North to Rule Winterfell with his Sister's bones and a Bastard son, would he have lied to his brother and told some fake story about both of them. Or would he have told Benjen the truth about either Jon or Lyanna.

If he told him the truth (depending on which theory you subscribe to) would that have contributed to Benjen joining the Night's Watch as way to keep Ned's secret and therefore making sure someone knows the truth who's not in a dangerous position aka, warden of the north or hand of king and someone who isn't too far away like Howland Reed to tell Jon in case something goes wrong (like ned losing his head).

If this is true, i'm hoping that means Benjen will return in shape or form to tell Jon in the next 2 books.

I've always assumed Benjen knew from the time Lyanna disappeared that it was a consensual choice with Rhaegar and his inability to prevent Brandon from charging off after her or something along those lines is why he ultimately joined the NW.

But I had noticed that line and I figured it was Benjen perhaps wishing he had been with The Ned in the south so he could have claimed Jon as his bastard instead of Ned. In a way that would have been his own way of redeeming himself perhaps.

I've always theorised that Benjen knew before Ned. In fact, he and Lyanna were close enough that he may have been her confidant or at least turned a blind eye when she ran off. If that is so, he must bear a great burden because it not only led to Rickon and Brandon's death, and ruined Ned's life and peace of mind, but also caused a war. If any of this is true, then it is no wonder that Benjen went into the NW. He probably could not face Ned or Jon without expiating himself.

I hope Benjen is alive and has been off doing something brave, interesting, and helpful to the effort beyond the wall. But I wish it were him who was gone and Ned was alive. Oh well.

That's a great catch.

It does sound believable that Ned told Benjen.

I always wondered why Benjen decided to join the Night's Watch especially when he knows all that he would be giving up.

It's not as if he was a bastard like Jon. He was born from the same mother and father as Ned.

This could lead to the reason why he went.

Also, aside from Howland Reed, I am quite sure Ned had to tell someone from within the family just in case if something ever happened to him.

The more I think about it, the more it sounds like it's possible.

I don't think Ned told Benjen for the same reason hen never told he Cat what he was doing was treason, and if Benjen was in on it, it would mean his head along with Ned's.

However, I think Benjen is shrewd enough to know that if his brother was too shy to ask a girl to dance at Harrenhal then it would be unlikely that he fathered a bastard, along with that he knew his brother to be an honorable man, and not like to dishonor his wife just for a quick fling. He was likely charged by Lyanna to tell everyone what happened when she ran off with Rhaegar, but when Brandon did come by, Benjen was drunk for the first time, an experience he mentions to Jon in this same scene, and Brandon only got some garbled info that led him to go to KL. He also knew Ned came back with Jon from Dorne right after his journey to Lyanna.

I think Ned didn't tell him, Benjen just figured it out for himself.

Benjen knew the Rhaegar & Lyanna story from the start; he may well have been involved in Lyanna's disappearance.

I take it he had some questions when Ned returned with Jon and Lyanna's bones, and he was 2nd in line of succession at that time, so Ned couldn't turn him down "That's all you need to know!" style.

I believe 100% Ned told Benjen.

As it's been pointed out, Benjen and Lyanna were apparently very close. When Ned rocked back up to Winterfell, I'm sure the first thing Ben would have asked is "WTF happened down there, where's Lyanna?". He had every right to know the truth, and every reason to keep the secret just like Ned, as they are family. I think it's very likely that secret is his reason for joining the NW, and the "more's the pity" comment we get in GoT is a nice hint that he does know.

Archived