Favorite Fantasy Characters

starving snowman

I feel like there is a certain type of character embodied by Camaris of "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" and possibly Garet Jax from The Wishsong of Shannara" that i really enjoy. That character with nearly divine skill at arms attempting to deal with the issues this brings.

I guess its kinda childish to like these characters so much, but anybody else have some favorites to throw out there?

Theoden - nobility and bravery in the face of terrible odds, while still having a heart full of love.

Granny Weatherwax - anyone who has spent time in Lancashire will recognise soo much of this character - the embodiment of Tough Northern Grannies!

My namesake is definitely up there. I love the timelessness of Roland, and the incredible scope of his journey. Alos I love the idea of the journey encompassing the redemption of the universe and of Roland both. Paksenarrion has to be another. The Deed of Paksenarion trilogy is imho the best paladin story ever. There are countless others I'm sure, but those two come immediatly to mind.

I like intelligent bad guys. Can't immediately think of any fantasy ones, but Archie out of The Chocolate War is a good example from mainstream literature. I also like cold-blooded killers on the side of justice, particularly if they are female, but that's a bit more embarrassing.

I feel like there is a certain type of character embodied by Camaris of "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" and possibly Garet Jax from The Wishsong of Shannara" that i really enjoy. That character with nearly divine skill at arms attempting to deal with the issues this brings.

I guess its kinda childish to like these characters so much, but anybody else have some favorites to throw out there?

I read the title of your thread and thought "I'll put Garet Jax for a good laugh." But I guess now I'll have to go with that mean old Obi Wan Kenobi guy from Eragon.

Edit: But you know who I really like? Mark from Bernard Cornwell's Arthur Trilogy. He had a truly great story arc. A lot of those characters were good and had much more book time than Mark, but his story really made the series for me.

When I was much younger, in fact pretty much when I first started reading fantasy books, I did like Raistlin Majere a lot. Amongst a bunch of cookie cutter characters in those books he stood out.

Elric of Melnibone from Moorcock's books is another favourite.

I like almost all of the characters in ASOIAF. I may not like them as people, but I find pretty much all of them fascinating. Especially ones like Jaime and the Red Viper of course.

I totally agree about Ser Camaris from Memory, Sorrow and Thorn.

I like many of the characters in Hobb's books (basically Fitz, Burrich, Chade and the Fool) that I could pretty much read about them not actually doing very much, just living, and it would still be interesting to me.

Edit: But you know who I really like? Mark from Bernard Cornwell's Arthur Trilogy. He had a truly great story arc. A lot of those characters were good and had much more book time than Mark, but his story really made the series for me.
Who was Mark? I loved those books (should have added Derfel to my list and I loved his portrayal of Lancelot) but I don't recall Mark.

Garret Jax was da bomb in 86 when i read wish song. :P

Corwin of Amber

Randyll Tarly

Doc Hallownight

Sir Neil from Keyes

Eddard Stark

Matrim Cauthon

Am I the only one who hates Mat? I just don't get all the Mat-love. I struggle through his chapters. The same one-dimensional wise-cracking jokester crap for 11 books. Blegh.

I suppose i should throw in Mat Cauthon from wheel of time even though i've lost most of my faith in the series itself.

ya, there are just too many cool characters in ASOIAF so i didnt single any out. To list a few though:

Qhorin halfand

Yoren

Red Viper

Arthur Dayne

Hotah

Jon Snow

eh, i have stuff i should do, help me make a better list

Oh, and my favorites....hmm..

Aragorn and Gandalf (LOTR)

Ged Sparrowhawk (Earthsea)

Thomas Covenant (Go ahead, shoot me... But it's not so much him as much as his characterization that I like)

Saltheart Foamfollower

Corwin of Amber

Vlad Taltos

(Love all kinds of characters - but well-written first person narrarators with wit get me every damn time)

I have to "ditto" that Blaine. Vlad is one of the most memorable characters along with Loiosh (sp?)

And what was the name of his assistant? Krager? Scenes between he and Vlad were hysterical.

Jadawin and Kickaha from the Tiers series rank right up there with Corwin and Merlin.

I was always kind of partial to Menion Leah also.

Yoren and Littlefinger are my favorite ASOIAF characters.

I should probably throw Thomas Covenant in there as well. Unforgettable.

Well, my list would have about 10 ASOIAF characters before any other characters from any other series, so we'll ignore those.

Cnaiur urs Skiotha, the Most Violent of All Men

Inigo Montoya (it was a book before it was a movie!)

Silk from the Belgariad. Yeah, I know, it's Eddings. Still love Silk.

Pretty much all of the Rohirrim (Eomer, Theoden...)

And a SciFi shoutout to Duncan Idaho

Archived