Rickon's Role

.Scream

Where is Robb's will? Does anyone know? And who all is aware of its contents? I don't know about Westeros, but in the real world the will has to be brought forth to be executed, or there might as well not even be one. Maybe that's where Howland will come in, will in hand and ready to tell everyone how it's going to be.

I doubt he had a Last Will and Testament, considering how he was murdered, but if his decree legitimizing Jon Snow survived then the 2 he sent off would have it, a Mormont and and Glover, as well as Holland Reed. But the more I reread ADWD, I am not sure Jon would leave the wall even under those circumstances.

More to the point, if either Rickon or Bran live, then any action by Robb legitimizing Jon would be viewed - by many, not least Jon himself - in the light of the fact that Robb made his will believing Bran and Rickon to be dead.

In other words, if either is alive, Jon would almost certainly recognise their claim to the North as superior to his.

I agree, but I just don't think Bran will really factor into it, I doubt he will leave the caves anytime soon. How could he in any case, unless the cave connects to the ones by The Wall. The Others are surrounding the main enterance.

I think that Jon would abstain for Rickon. But he would have to step aside if Robb's will is commonly known and recognized. But then who would rule until Rickon comes of age?

More to the point, if either Rickon or Bran live, then any action by Robb legitimizing Jon would be viewed - by many, not least Jon himself - in the light of the fact that Robb made his will believing Bran and Rickon to be dead.

In other words, if either is alive, Jon would almost certainly recognise their claim to the North as superior to his.

I disagree, this is not a peace time where a bastard comes after a trueborn, this is winter and war, and a 6 year old does not get crowned over a 16 year old who is experienced.

I disagree, this is not a peace time where a bastard comes after a trueborn, this is winter and war, and a 6 year old does not get crowned over a 16 year old who is experienced.

No one is gonna get crowned anyway, but even so, it's not true. It's winter and war, and everyone will be trying to take advantage of this, which is a lot easier with a 6 year old than a 16 year old. The North is not gonna be served to Jon on a platter.

Robb, assuming he did, legitimized Jon on the assumption Bran and Rickon were dead. Being that they are alive, why would Jon superseed them in succession?

Robb named Jon as his heir. He may have assumed that Rickon was dead, but that doesn't invalidate the will. Robb also assumed that Jon was Ned's bastard, that might not be true. Rickon has a stronger claim by intestate succession, but Robb left a will.

I have a theory for little Rickon: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/98515-queen-shireen-and-the-shaggydog/ .

Bran is the rightful Lord of Winterfell. Jon is sworn to the Watch and isn't going to leave it.

However, Rickon is close to the same age as Shireen... and it would be a very pleasing compromise to the North to have half the Iron Throne for giving up their dreams of Northern independence.

Robb named Jon as his heir. He may have assumed that Rickon was dead, but that doesn't invalidate the will. Robb also assumed that Jon was Ned's bastard, that might not be true. Rickon has a stronger claim by intestate succession, but Robb left a will.

Except Jon can do little right now. He went down in Ceasar style and even if he isn't dead in TWOW he it will take a very long time before he is up to his feet, besides it is obvious that his role in the upcoming two books is about fighting against the others. Plus there is a possibility that Robb's will won't be found. What the North needs right now is someone coming to help them to get on it's feet soon before the invasion of the others.

I doubt Rickon remembers who Jon is. He's what? three? four? Kids forget people who aren't close often when they're that young.

Even if Jon is legitimised, he's going to favour Rickon no matter what. He loves his brothers and sisters that much.

Kids at that age can remember things. I remember stuff from when I was three and four. You're not likely to forget your parents and siblings, and Osha's there to remind him, anyway. Plus his magic warg-wolf is keeping him connected.

I predict he won't be separated from his family much longer than it takes to oust the pretenders out of Winterfell. Davos has probably found him and is pulling strings with Manderly, who'll probably serve as regent until Rickon comes of age and becomes King of the North or Lord of Winterfell. Jon, should he happen to survive his stabbing, has a claim to the Iron Throne, or leadership of Westeros once everyone realizes they need to band together to stop the Others.

Personally I don't want any Northern Lord to be a regent for Rickon. These men were the ones who pushed Robb to declare himself King in the North. Major stupid idea. In my opinion they are a bunch of fools. The perfect Lord/Lady protector for Rickon would be Catelyn. She would have been a phenomenal ruler if she had the chance. Unfortunately she is dead. Sansa would be a decent lady protector/queen regent for Rickon.

Archived