The Maester's Conspiracy

Felipe Orletti Penedo

First things first: I am not a native english speaker, so please, be gentle and forgive any misspells in advance. Also, i'm new to the Forum, but after an afternoon searching, I did not find anything like what i'll start here.

Ok, here it goes: in the fourth book of the series, we are really introduced do Oldtown and the Maester's way of life and organization. What i'm proposing is: the Maester's are the great power and the greatest players in Westeros and not for now, but for a long long time.

Every great lord has a Maester. They are beside the lords offering counsel, advising, healing. Most important of all: they write the letters, read the ones that arrive and are in charge of the courier. We have at least one character who expressly tells that he have discovered this awful thuth:

• "They heal, yes. I never said they were not subtle. They tend to us when we are sick and injured, or distraught over the illness of a parent or a child. Whenever we are weakest and most vulnerable, there they are. Sometimes they heal us, and we are duly grateful. When they fail, they console us in our grief, and we are grateful for that as well. Out of gratitude we give them a place beneath our roof and make them privy to all our shames and secrets, a part of every council. And before too long, the ruler has become the ruled" (Barbrey Dustin - The Prince of Winterfell - A dance with Dragons).

But how is that possible? They have no lands, they have no army and they aren't rich. Well, it's quite simple: the maesters are selected for their firstly for their intelligence. Only the brightest are sent to the Citadel and only though intense dedication a puppil gets a chain. As a consequence, they are usually smarter and far more knowledgeable than the men they serve. As Lady Barbrey noted, they enjoy a strategic position by taking care of all communications, and they are always at their lords' side.

We can see that they are always keen for great minds (even if with some good intentions):

• “I don’t want to be broken,” he (Bran) whispered fiercely to Maester Luwin, who’d been seated to his right. “I want to be a knight.”
  • “There are some who call my order the knights of the mind,” Luwin replied. “You are a surpassing clever boy when you work at it, Bran. Have you ever thought that you might wear a maester’s chain? There is no limit to what you might learn.”

This way, they can decisely influence in all of the matters of a lord, and, in scale, of the Realm. We have confirmation of this by one of their own:

• “Who do you think killed all the dragons the last time around? Gallant dragonslayers armed with swords?” He spat. “The world the Citadel is building has no place in it for sorcery or prophecy or glass candles, much less for dragons. Ask yourself why Aemon Targaryen was allowed to waste his life upon the Wall, when by rights he should have been raised to archmaester. His blood was why. He could not be trusted. No more than I can.” (Marwyn, the Mage - Samwell, A Feast for Crows).

Here we can see Archmaester Marwyn telling indirectly that the Citatel is responsible for the death of the dragons. How is that? We know that most of the dragons were killed in the Dance of the Dragons, when a civil war ocurred. It seens that the maesters may have more guilt in preparation of the war that is may apear at first glance.

Agains, quoting Barbrey Disting:

• “That was how it was with Lord Rickard Stark. Maester Walys was his grey rat’s name. And isn’t it clever how the maesters go by only one name, even those who had two when they first arrived at the Citadel? That way we cannot know who they truly are or where they come from ... but if you are dogged enough, you can still find out. Before he forged his chain, Maester Walys had been known as Walys Flowers. Flowers, Hill, Rivers, Snow ... we give such names to baseborn children to mark them for what they are, but they are always quick to shed them. Walys Flowers had a Hightower girl for a mother ... and an archmaester of the Citadel for a father, it was rumored. The grey rats are not as chaste as they would have us believe. Oldtown maesters are the worst of all. Once he forged his chain, his secret father and his friends wasted no time dispatching him to Winterfell to fill Lord Rickard’s ears with poisoned words as sweet as honey. The Tully marriage was his notion, never doubt it, he—”

But theres more! In the first book, during Ned's investigation of the circunstances of Arryn's death, one of his first suspects is Grand Maester Pycelle. And why is that? Because Maesters have knowledge of poison. Therefore, they can be discreet and effective murderers. Since they treat the wounded, who would unsay a Maester if he says that a little wound was worse than it appeared? A Maester could say that a weapon was poisoned when he himself poisoned the victim. A child newborn that didn't make it? The Maester could have given a hand... There are a lot of possibilities.

They are trusted, they are wise, seem fragile, and are positioned everywhere there's power. They have the the power of life and death. An individual maester has the means to do so much. In a Feast of Crows, we discover the Maesters hierarchy and how the archmaesters work. Of course there's no way that a counsel could command every maester out there, but they can watch, get constantly informed and once in a while, when required, they can send a word to a specific Maester to advide certain lord in a way, slowly shaping the world as they see fit.

Why would the Maester obey a Citatel's command? Well, simply because the Citadel has the privilege of the assignations. Hence, a maester not well trusted wouldn't be assigned to an important lord. The Maesters at the side of the lords and the proeminent family's are the most trusted and subtle ones.

We know that there is communication internal to the order, at least for the calculation required for the change of seasons. Therefore, it isn't impossible that they could use a similar system to watch over the Realm, choosing carefully when to intervene.

I think there is a conspiracy of sorts, but not to the scope you seem to be suggesting. Maester Marwyn is proof if that. But I would not take anything Lady Barbary says about the Maester's order to seriously. She was bitter about not being able to marry into the Stark family and blamed that on the Maester without real proof. An order like the Maester's it is easy to see conspiracies behind everything they do. Could some Maesters kill certain Lords, Ladies, children, babies, maybe, but it is more likely they are playing their own individual "game of thrones" like the Lord Commander of the King's Guard did once a pone a time. All we can really confirm is that they are a powerful order, they had a hand in the killing of the dragons, they do not want dragons and magic to return, and that many Lords do not trust their Maesters.

Very good analysis.

I wouldn't believe everything Barbrey Dustin says, as she is nursing a grudge but there is something going on with the Citadel.

The very last dragons, if I remember correctly (and I may not), were slain after the people stormed the dragon pits demanding their deaths. The maesters could certainly start rumors that would work up the lords, and travel downwards to cause fear among the common folk. However, the Dance of the Dragons did a lot of damage so it would not require much in the way of convincing to get the people to cry out for the end of all dragons.

There are some interesting theories about various groups in the thread called A Compendium of Theories, including one about the Faceless Men running everything. I could certainly see the Citadel Maesters working against another group in a larger struggle that echoes the game of thrones that is distracting most of Westeros from the coming threats.

Very good analysis.

I wouldn't believe everything Barbrey Dustin says, as she is nursing a grudge but there is something going on with the Citadel.

The very last dragons, if I remember correctly (and I may not), were slain after the people stormed the dragon pits demanding their deaths. The maesters could certainly start rumors that would work up the lords, and travel downwards to cause fear among the common folk. However, the Dance of the Dragons did a lot of damage so it would not require much in the way of convincing to get the people to cry out for the end of all dragons.

There are some interesting theories about various groups in the thread called A Compendium of Theories, including one about the Faceless Men running everything. I could certainly see the Citadel Maesters working against another group in a larger struggle that echoes the game of thrones that is distracting most of Westeros from the coming threats.

I don't recall anything about people storming the dragon pits. I recall Marwyn(?) saying that maesters held that dragons shouldn't be cooped up in it. The finals dragons were tiny and couldn't even fly, so I doubt that the peasants needed to kill them. The maesters may well have done something to ensure that the dragons didn't grow properly, but inbreeding (stock from only 3 dragons) and a civil war of dragon deaths kind of play into that as well.

I'll have to check out the compendium of theories though. That sounds pretty cool.

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

Yeah, I think the conspiracy really goes all the way to the top. I mean, the maesters really played a huge part in the Targ downfall, not only Maester Walys, but Pycelle himself, by telling Aerys to open the gates to Tywin. I don't think he was just a Lannister creature, I think the Citadel supported the Lannisters/Tyrells as the opposition to other more magical faction like Stannis and the Targs. Have you noticed how many maesters have, in one way or another, done something against Stannis/Mel? Cressen, Pylos by helping to smuggle Edric, Manderly's maester at White Harbor, etc. They're after everyone related to magic, I think, and that's why Euron is targeting Oldtown

I've never heard this theory before. After studying the text to death I didn't expect I could discover a new theory this interesting and plausible.

Lord Too Fat didn't trust his maester. Maybe sending Davos after little Rickon will be the thing that undoes all their careful plans.

Oh, those Maesters are tricksy indeed. Walys Flowers is enough to give me a headache, then add in Marwyn, Pycelle, Qyburn... every major house of course has a Maester who educates the next generation in all matters.

Even Luwin is a mystery. He's one of the very few who earned a Valerian link (for the study of magic, which means he mastered it - a very rare feat), but insists he doesn't believe in stories of magic, and specifically educates Bran that magical stories are just fairy tales.

I am not sure how many more serious players in the game I can handle, but I do think it would be tough for the maesters to actually be as neutral as they pretend and completely forget all personal history. Some are probably more honourable than others, just like the Night's Watch. But also like the Watch they have their own prejudices of education and tradition we will call them. Basically they have been trained to stamp out hints of magic.

Meanwhile individual maesters here and there are very likely coopted by the other players and taking part in each of the plots we already know of.

I am not sure how many more serious players in the game I can handle, but I do think it would be tough for the maesters to actually be as neutral as they pretend and completely forget all personal history. Some are probably more honourable than others, just like the Night's Watch. But also like the Watch they have their own prejudices of education and tradition we will call them. Basically they have been trained to stamp out hints of magic.

Meanwhile individual maesters here and there are very likely coopted by the other players and taking part in each of the plots we already know of.

They wouldn't necessarily be playing the Game of Thrones though. They could have another game entirely. I think you're right that each of them decides where their loyalty will lie.

@Fool of a Book, interesting point about Maester Luwin's Valyrian steel link. I suppose he approached that particular study as more history and mythology than anything else. Or he believes magic used to exist but doesn't anymore. But now I'm wondering...the process for making Valyrian steel was supposedly lost with the doom. How do the maester's get a link made of it? Do they have a Valyrian sword at the Citadel that they've been melting down bit by bit for the last few centuries? Or do they know how it's done? Maybe that's why Sam needs to be there.

I am a little confused right now on the relationship between the Citadel and the maesters, and the Septons. Both are branches of the Faith of the Seven correct? Would the recent coup by the Sparrows have any impact on the Citadel or has history put distance between these branches?

The hightowers have been instrumental in the creation of the citadel, it is quite possible that they have a big hand in it, and might be using it for their own advantage.

alys Flowers had a Hightower girl for a mother ... and an archmaester of the Citadel for a father, it was rumored.

They are in charge of writting and keeping history. There´s huge strategic value in that.

The best essay i found on the Grand Citadel Conspiracy is:

http://branvras.free.fr/HuisClos/Ruled.html

outstanding finding clues about how the Maesters manipulated the Dance of dragons. Clearly very effective since they managed to take out most Targaryens and dragons.

After that, probably poisoning the rest of the eggs did the job.

They wouldn't necessarily be playing the Game of Thrones though. They could have another game entirely.

They are not "playing the game" to "Sit" on the throne. They do, however, present us, with three additional types of "players."

The archmaesters. I think we have seen there is some element of a NWO "wolrd without magic" conspiracy. The AMs want to rid the world of magic because they believe it is a destabilizing force and one they cannot control. I think there is a major ideological "we know best" attitude present here. Also, the Maesters existed before the Targs showed up, so they are, in essence, trying to return westeros to a pre-targ society (although, ironically, Westeros pre-Targ was just as bloody and butral as after they arrived, if not more). So, yes, I do think there are some elements of a "grand conspiracy" up high.

House loyalists. You then have maesters, such as Prycelle, that are inherently loyal to one particular house and do everything in their power to "set the pieces" in favor of their house.

Do Gooders. Finally, I think you have an element of "do gooders", that try and manipulate events "for the good of the realm" and manipulate events independently from any orders from the Archmaesters. Most are acting with honorable intentions, but they are influencing events and not just acting as servants.

Agreed. My hunch is that part of the story will have something to do with Euron Greyjoy.

I got an absurd image in my mind of Euron studying to become a maester all the years he was away. I'm sure that's not what you meant though.

What do you think Euron's involvement is, or do you just expect him to sack Oldtown?

Archived