Let us 'ship Bran and Danaerys!

Petyr Patter

DanBran? DanyBran?

First, disclosure. I often say “I don’t ship, I speculate.” Yet, if somebody is going to create a thread saying why two characters will end up married by serie's end, the distinction is probably not worth trying to maintain. Regardless, this is less an emotional fit for me and instead a literary and political speculation. For example, while I do like Bran, not so much Danaerys.

So, let us start off with some quotes.

“Who would ever dare to love a dragon?” –Danaerys II, A Dance of Dragons.

“Bran did want to be married to a tree … but who else would wed a broken boy like him?” –Bran III, A Dance of Dragons.

“The maegi Mirri Maz Duur had sworn she should never bear a living child, and what man would want a barren wife?” – Danaerys II, A Clash of Kings

Here we have two characters who both feel they could never be loved. And from the two or three romantic comedies I have watched, there is no greater recipe for true love. Still, they have a lot else in common.

1. Both are orphaned.
  2. Both have reasons to believe themselves infertile.
  3. Both are heirs to a dispossessed crown.
  4. Both are on a path to (lowercase) godhood.
  5. Both have crossed a wasteland.
  6. Both received magic pets/guardians.
  7. Both have survived multiple assassination attempts.
  8. Both have had prophetic dreams.
  9. Both have “flown.”

Then, there is literary analysis.

The events in the novels began when a Targaryen loved a Stark (Rhaeghar and Lyanna), it would be especially poetic for them to end the same way. The oldest Great House wed to the youngest Great House. Bran and Danaerys would be the Song of Ice and Fire. Of course, “ice endure,” but “fire consumes utterly leaving nothing.” Hence, House Stark continues on while House Targaryen fades to memory despite its many great accomplishments.

There is also the fact to consider that every initial POV from A Game of Thrones is either a Stark, married to a Stark, or a son of a Stark… except Danaerys. If the Starks are the true protagonists, than Danaerys needs to get hitched or she will end up dead. Which still might happen. Alternatively, they are both protagonists, then it still makes sense to “join sides” before serie's end. However, there are only three male Starks still known to be alive. Rickon is just flat out too young. Jon is sworn to the Wall, a vow he intends to keep. That leaves Bran. While Danaerys is somewhat awkwardly older, it isn’t so old as to be a deal breaker. About 5 years.

Next, let us look at the political situation. Assume that either the North declares independence again, or choses to declare for Stannis or Shireen. Also assume Danaerys invades Westeros. Are these two things compatible? No. So, a conflict would be inevitable, such as Danaerys invading the North with a vast army. During Winter. Does this end well for her? I suspect not. Yet, it need not end her. Because with the Others soon to attack, turning her army into a usable force to man the Wall becomes a vital objective.

Hence, a marriage between the Lord of Winterfell and this foreign invader whose followers see her as more goddess than queen. It binds the two sides together, in a way that failed to work in Mereen. Mostly because Danaerys vanished. In such a union, Bran’s infertility (if true, it isn’t 100%) would be an actual asset for stability. No kids for Danaerys means the Iron Throne is secured for Stannis and Shireen’s line. Which I also theorize will be half Stark. Obviously, this theory works best if Bran becomes Lord of Winterfell, which is his birthright and foreshadowed: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/103504-bran-will-be-lord-of-winterfell/ .

You know, I was going to make a longer post, but I think I got the major points across. Who else wants to go sailing on the SS DanaerBrand? Umm, BrandonDan? Stargaryan? Vanialla Ice and Fire? I’m not good at this.

:ack: I can't see it.

There is also the fact to consider that every initial POV from A Game of Thrones is either a Stark, married to a Stark, or a son of a Stark… except Danaerys.

Tyrion too. Unless you're counting his marriage to Sansa way later which you shouldn't

Archived