How do you rate Jorah as a fighter?

I think Jorah is probably one of the smarter warriors, as far as assessment of situations go and has strong abilities to match this. He has obviously seen much combat in his life and lived, so that tells you much. I wouldn't rate him in the tradition of Dayne, Selmy, Ned, or Jaime. More on the level of Bronn or the Clegane boys.

Would you consider Ned up there with any of them? I think he was always decribes as an average fighter.

Clegane on the other hand might be on the level of Jaime or even Selmy and Dayne. Jaime considers him a threat at least.

Would you consider Ned up there with any of them? I think he was always decribes as an average fighter.

Clegane on the other hand might be on the level of Jaime or even Selmy and Dayne. Jaime considers him a threat at least.

He survived the Battle of the Trident, where Selmy nearly died and Darry did? In the dream at the TOJ, the KG spoke quite confidently about beating Robert, meaning the man and his army. This representation of the KG are badasses, Selmy cutting a swath through the Golden Company ending the War of the Ninepenny Kings? These guys beat armies when they go into battle, yet Ned Stark showed up with only six guys and going against arguably, the very best of them in Dayne? Yeah, I think Ned killed Darry and injured Selmy at the Trident, where Robert was so injured he couldn't continue to KL, but sent Ned in his stead. Ned who was sent to lift the siege against Robert's home. Ned who along with only six northerners beat three of the elite KG and survived. Ned who was holding his own just fine against Jaime Lannister before being stabbed in the leg, from behind. Ned was one BAMF!

He survived the Battle of the Trident, where Selmy nearly died and Darry did? In the dream at the TOJ, the KG spoke quite confidently about beating Robert, meaning the man and his army. This representation of the KG are badasses, Selmy cutting a swath through the Golden Company ending the War of the Ninepenny Kings? These guys beat armies when they go into battle, yet Ned Stark showed up with only six guys and going against arguably, the very best of them in Dayne? Yeah, I think Ned killed Darry and injured Selmy at the Trident, where Robert was so injured he couldn't continue to KL, but sent Ned in his stead. Ned who was sent to lift the siege against Robert's home. Ned who along with only six northerners beat three of the elite KG and survived. Ned who was holding his own just fine against Jaime Lannister before being stabbed in the leg, from behind. Ned was one BAMF!

All that depends where Ned was located in comparison to Selmy, Darry, and Robert. Most likely Ned was further in the back, while those three were more forward in the vanguard. Simply, Ned was an average fighter and nothing more.

edit: Ned only duels Jaime in the show not in the books.

Middle of the road, not really good but not terrible either. I'm only saying this cause we don't really have a fair assesment since he had a advantage in t he one fight we saw him in in the books. Unless you want to count the scene in the show from the taking of yunkai, but i think that was different fromthe books.

Middle of the road, not really good but not terrible either. I'm only saying this cause we don't really have a fair assesment since he had a advantage in t he one fight we saw him in in the books. Unless you want to count the scene in the show from the taking of yunkai, but i think that was different fromthe books.

In the show Jorah is a better fighter, just like Tyrion is more likeable, Cersei is more sympathetic, Bronn is more skilled and Daenerys is less slutty.

Jorah probably, but Garlan? He's apparently better than Loras, who even Jaime regards very highly.

Jaime also respects Sandor and thinks how he would have been one of the few people to challenge him when he still had two hands. Simply, Sandor is likely at the same, if not greater, skill level of Garlan while being both stronger and larger.

Daenerys is less slutty

Having two sexual partners isn't slutty.

I don't think he's that gifted and being in his middle age he is on the wrong side agewise compared to the "greats" outside of the one and only Barry Bold, but he is smart and is a tough mother. I know people don't see his victory against the bloodrider as impressive because he barely escaped it, but that is his only option, in armor he is slower than him and needs to rely on the protection, Drogo's bloodriders and Kos were seasoned killers themselves.

Is he a Sandor/Garlan what have you? Not likely. Is he one of the most battle hardened warriors in the entire series surviving and thriving from battle to battle, war to war non-stop for 20 some odd years? You bet he is. He's dangerous and I love him.

I think Jorah is probably one of the smarter warriors, as far as assessment of situations go and has strong abilities to match this. He has obviously seen much combat in his life and lived, so that tells you much. I wouldn't rate him in the tradition of Dayne, Selmy, Ned, or Jaime. More on the level of Bronn or the Clegane boys.

Wouldn't rate him in the upper tier aka the legendaries such as Dayne, Selmy, Jaime, Aemon the Dragonknight, Daemon Blackfyre, Cregan Stark, Gwayne Corbray, etc.

Personally i consider him in tier 2 with the likes of Sandor, Gregor, Garlan, etc simply because he's one of the most battle-hardened and intelligent. But until we get a fair assessment i guess this can't be confirmed.

At the very least he's in tier 3 with the likes of Bronze Yohn, Lyn Corbray, Balon Swann, Jason Mallister, etc. This group i'd consider well above average.

When i consider average knights i think of Ser Vardis Egan

Jorah distinguished himself during the Greyjoy Rebellion, champion of the Tourney at Lannisport, sold his sword while in the Free Cities, fought against Bravos on the Rhoyne, rode with a khalasar, slays Qoho, infiltrated Meereen through the sewers and survived being enslaved by the Yunkai. Garlan Tyrell killed Guyard Morrigen and was seen training in the yard against more than one man at a time. That's all. I choose Jorah over Garlan easy.

I think the fact that the second sons welcomed him back so easily, and he was in known company in the tent with all the leaders means he is fairly bad-ass. Barristan never says anything about Jorahs abilities, but I wonder how well another knight would do against a bloodrider? His size (and by proxy strength) is used to describe him almost every time. People stay out of his way, even in bad situations, like on the ship to Mereen. His accomplishments stack up higher than alot of other knights we hear about, barring the mountain, and Ser Barristan. However, as we have learned with Tywin, a guy with intelligence over actual fighting prowess will come out the victor more often, so perhaps Jorah is more a chess player? i doubt it, given his tendencies and overall attitude, I would assume he was out fighting, not sitting in a nice tent moving pieces on a map. So I say probably an 8 of 10, giving a 10 to Ser Arthur Dayne, and Syrio Forrel. and a 1 to Joffrey, and LF(unless he suprises us in the upcoming books).

On a side note How come no one brought up Darkstar as the top dawg?

I think the fact that the second sons welcomed him back so easily, and he was in known company in the tent with all the leaders means he is fairly bad-ass. Barristan never says anything about Jorahs abilities, but I wonder how well another knight would do against a bloodrider? His size (and by proxy strength) is used to describe him almost every time. People stay out of his way, even in bad situations, like on the ship to Mereen. His accomplishments stack up higher than alot of other knights we hear about, barring the mountain, and Ser Barristan. However, as we have learned with Tywin, a guy with intelligence over actual fighting prowess will come out the victor more often, so perhaps Jorah is more a chess player? i doubt it, given his tendencies and overall attitude, I would assume he was out fighting, not sitting in a nice tent moving pieces on a map. So I say probably an 8 of 10, giving a 10 to Ser Arthur Dayne, and Syrio Forrel. and a 1 to Joffrey, and LF(unless he suprises us in the upcoming books).

On a side note How come no one brought up Darkstar as the top dawg?

Darkstar is one of those characters who gets talked up a lot in the text and what exactly did he do? Try to kill an 11 year old girl and still failed. The real badass characters in the text are the ones whose efforts speak for themselves or where we only get subtle hints of their badassery. I.e. Jorah, Jason Mallister, Ser Rolland Storm, Galbart Glover, etc. The likes of Dorkstar and Obara Sand are not badass and i do not for a second believe they can kill Areo Hotah and Balon Swann in a fair fight

Archived