The enigma of Hoster Tully, what's your take?

Actually I think Tywin would have arranged for LF's accident without talking to him first. He also would have forced Brynden's marriage or laid some kind of severe punishement on him for his refusal. Though it's possible that if Hoster had been as bad as Tywin, Lysa would never have dared to sleep with LF, and Brynden would never have refused to wed.

Yeah all true

lysa would have been refused by jamie and prob married to willas or someone , blackfish would have already been married to a redwyne by that point (hosters first choice for him if i recall)

My mistake. But how is killing a whole village who have done nothing to him justified.

It sends a message to House Goodbrook that that's what happens when you betray the Tullys. Justified? Probably not, but definitely logical.

Less effective Tywin, putting the village to the sword isn't going to terrify most of your lords, only the ones who care about their smallfolk. He should of put Goodbrook to the sword if he wanted to send a message.

It sends a message to House Goodbrook that that's what happens when you betray the Tullys. Justified? Probably not, but definitely logical.

I don't even see how it's even logical those people in Goodbrook's village is still under Tully protection and Hoster had a duty to them as their liege lord to do right by them, they shouldn't have had to suffer for Goodbrook's decisions.

My mistake. But how is killing a whole village who have done nothing to him justified.

I agree, Lord Goodbrook was the one who deserved punishment, not his townsfolk. And yet, it is as Varys said - the smallfolk are those who suffer when the high lords play their game of thrones. It may seem cold, but in the eyes of a High lord like Hoster Tully (or Tywin Lannister) those villagers were little more than Lord Goodbrook's property.

A similar thing happens in battles - when two armies meet, the noblemen aim to capture each other while the common soldiers are arrow fodder.

It's not fair, it's not justified - it's just how it is in a medieval society.

I agree, Lord Goodbrook was the one who deserved punishment, not his townsfolk. And yet, it is as Varys said - the smallfolk are those who suffer when the high lords play their game of thrones. It may seem cold, but in the eyes of a High lord like Hoster Tully (or Tywin Lannister) those villagers were little more than Lord Goodbrook's property.

A similar thing happens in battles - when two armies meet, the noblemen aim to capture each other while the common soldiers are arrow fodder.

It's not fair, it's not justified - it's just how it is in a medieval society.

My point was that he killed them and that is what makes him Tywinlike.

Tywin wouldn't of bothered with the village, he would of gone straight for Goodbrook and his family. Not that he would have the guts to rebel if it were Tywin as his liege lord.

Maybe you are right. Or maybe they fought him and that is why he killed them.

At any rate, I don't think this makes him Tywinlike - Tywin's lack of empathy and emotion puts him in a category of himself. Lord Goodbrook's town just makes Hoster a colder man than his son Edmure, and a lord with the typical mindset of one.

Tywin wouldn't of bothered with the village, he would of gone straight for Goodbrook and his family. Not that he would have the guts to rebel if it were Tywin as his liege lord.

Yeah, Tywin never destroyed villages and murdered peasants, when he was mad at their lords...Oh, wait, that's what he did all the time.

Then he is worst than Tywin. Tywin would punish the guilty parts when Hoster punished the innocents.

Maybe you are right. Or maybe they fought him and that is why he killed them.

At any rate, I don't think this makes him Tywinlike - Tywin's lack of empathy and emotion puts him in a category of himself. Lord Goodbrook's town just makes Hoster a colder man than his son Edmure, and a lord with the typical mindset of one.

That makes him worst than Tywin. As I said above Tywin would had punished the Lord not the innocent smallfolk. I don't even mention the fact that he killed Lysa's child.

Then he is worst than Tywin. Tywin would punish the guilty parts when Hoster punished the innocents.

That makes him worst than Tywin. As I said above Tywin would had punished the Lord not the innocent smallfolk. I don't even mention the fact that he killed Lysa's child.

“Unleash Ser Gregor and send him before us with his reavers. Send forth Vargo Hoat and his freeriders as well, and Ser Amory Lorch. Each is to have three hundred horse. Tell them I want to see the riverlands afire from the Gods Eye to the Red Fork.”

“They will burn, my lord,” Ser Kevan said, rising. “I shall give the commands.” He bowed and made for the door.

When they were alone, Lord Tywin glanced at Tyrion. “Your savages might relish a bit of rapine. Tell them they may ride with Vargo Hoat and plunder as they like—goods, stock, women, they may take what they want and burn the rest.”

Tywin Lannister, the humanist.

Edit: And not for nothing, but do you think Tywin just let the Reyne and Tarbeck smallfolk go when he put their castles to the torch? I seriously doubt that.

Comparing Tywin and Hoster in terms of ruthlessness is ridiculous. His children love him, and most lords and folk alike. Everyone either fears or hates Tywin, even his children...People who say they are similar are not reading right.

Comparing Tywin and Hoster in terms of ruthlessness is ridiculous. His children love him, and most lords and folk alike. Everyone either fears or hates Tywin, even his children...People who say they are similar are not reading right.

Lysa must adore him. Especially since he killed her child.

Lysa must adore him. Especially since he killed her child.

True, Hoster might've been too hard on her - but let's remember what Tywin did in a similar "young, foolish love" situation. Or have you forgotten Tysha?

Again, Hoster wasn't the best guy - but he was far from Tywin.

Ok, my bad...But do you really think Lysa is capable of truly loving anybody? She's psycho, and I don't blame her insanity on Hoster. Cat remembers she was happy when Robb was born.

Lysa's psychosis later in life is to a large extent the result of that abortion.

Then again, she did bring it on herself. Call it what you want, but she was obsessed with LF - and not for nothing, but he was high when she slept with him. How is that not a rape?

He put Goodbrock's villages to the sword.

where does it say he put the village to the sword?

I thought he put the village to the torch which means he burned it down but doesn't necessarily meant he killed anybody. here's the entry in the wiki. note that Lord Goodbrook's son made peace with Hoster after the war.

Archived