*SPOILERS* The Rogue Prince, or, a King's Brother Discussion

HexMachina

I haven't noticed any threads on this since the official release so thought I would open one. If the Mods are unhappy with this I apologise and feel free to close it, but I think today is the official release (I downloaded my copy today from Kobo).

So, simply put: discuss.

First Impressions from my rushed reading.

Daemon is not a badass - he is a creepy, power hungry asshole.

Viserys is an inept ruler. Probably one of the dumbest in Targ history and the blame for the war lies squarely at his feet.

Rhaenyra is a typical spoiled child and its very clear that her children are bastards which means that the Greens had good cause to rebel.

I'm firmly in camp Green after reading this(Though Aegon and Aemond aren't saints by any standard).

This book makes you sympathize with the Greens during the Dance of Dragons. Daemon is a great warrior but would make a poor ruler, I think. He could be even worse than Robert. Rhaenyra's three elder children are bastards, definitely. The two of them gave all the reasons to Alicent, ser Otto and Criston Cole to contest Viserys's will at his death

I have liked it a lot. Perhaps not as much as the Princess and the Queen, but a lot. It certainly puts Daemon and the entire Dance of Dragons in a whole new perspective. I loved the irony that Ser Otto Hightawer was the one who convinced the king to name Rhaenyra as the heir in order to prevent Daemon for ascending to the throne.

While tPat starts just after tRP, I think I've liked to experience them out of order.

Also, it has been a treat for the amateur Westerosi historian: plenty of dates and data for speculation to work with.

Question: Who killed Lord Lyonel and Ser Harwin during that fire? Viserys? Daemon? Corlys? or Larys Strong?

I'm gonna go with Viserys - he seems to go mad everytime someone suggests his grandchildren are bastards(probably because he knows its true but cant confront and humiliate his daughter).

I'm gonna go with Viserys - he seems to go mad everytime someone suggests his grandchildren are bastards(probably because he knows its true but cant confront and humiliate his daughter).

I'd go with him too. I bet they all knew and Viserys didn't want to compromise Rhaenyra or her children's chances to rule. So he took out Ser Harwin and hoped for the best.

Corlys must have known also. Probably why Jacaerys and Lucaerys were betrothed to his grandchildren by Laena and Daemon.

I'd go with him too. I bet they all knew and Viserys didn't want to compromise Rhaenyra or her children's chances to rule. So he took out Ser Harwin and hoped for the best.

Corlys must have known also. Probably why Jacaerys and Lucaerys were betrothed to his grandchildren by Laena and Daemon.

The idiot should have listened to Alicent from the start and married Rhaenyra to Aegon.

Also some more interesting tidbits - Jaehaerys fought a wildling invasion in the North?? Kings have the power to set aside marriages(Daemon asked Viserys to set aside his marriage to the bronze bitch)?

The idiot should have listened to Alicent from the start and married Rhaenyra to Aegon.

Also some more interesting tidbits - Jaehaerys fought a wildling invasion in the North?? Kings have the power to set aside marriages(Daemon asked Viserys to set aside his marriage to the bronze bitch)?

Viserys wasn't the sharpest tool in the box for sure. Stucking with Rhaenyra then marrying Alicent was a wrong move. Jaehaerys fighting wildlings and giants was interesting. It must have been quite serious for the king and queen to come with their dragons. Which King beyond the Wall was it? Bael the Bard?

I loved it. It's full of interesting new details, clearing up some doubts and giving way to new ones LOL

As for Daemon, he is quite the controversial character but that is exactly what makes him so narratively compelling ;)

The difference with Rhaenyra's bastards as opposed to say Cersei's is that they are still the children of the chosen heir to the Throne, and as I read it there was a degree of understanding and consent from Laenor on the matter. Its almost (not quite but almost) like a woman becoming impregnated by another mans sperm because her husband is infertile in the modern day. Though in this case Rhaenyra went...shall we say direct to the donor. Whereas with Cersei, she cuckolded the King, and thus the Children lacked any legitinate claim to the Throne, in addition to the element of deception involved in her case. I still believe that the fact her children were bastards was just a thin pretext the Greens used, their real reasons being:

a) To seat Aegon (or any of Alicent's brood) on the Throne

and

b ) To avoid being ruled by Daemon, which is of course understandable.

ETA: Just want to point out that I think this novelette fits the anthology much better than tPatQ fit into Dangerous Women. :)

I was impressed by the amount of salacious detail. The passages detailing Rhaenyra's sexual education, as told by the fool Mushroom, were particularly impressive in that regard.

Actually, anything told using Mushroom as a source is very very salacious. I like think that's what Tyrion would have become, if he didn't have the good fortune of having been born a Lannister.

Then again, imagine how Moon Boy's memoirs would read...

ETA: Also, my impression was that the good Maester delighted in including those details. It becomes even clearer now that he really doesn't like Rhaenyra. It's the oldest way of denigrating a woman: slut-shaming.

Viserys wasn't the sharpest tool in the box for sure. Stucking with Rhaenyra then marrying Alicent was a wrong move. Jaehaerys fighting wildlings and giants was interesting. It must have been quite serious for the king and queen to come with their dragons. Which King beyond the Wall was it? Bael the Bard?

Cant be Bael - there are no records of him in the south(which there would be if Jaehaerys had fought him) also Bael's son Brandon was skinned alive by some Bolton and the last Bolton rebellion was a thousand years ago. The army also supposedly had wargs - wonder if any tried to take over the dragons.

I loved it.

I maybe didn't enjoy it as much as I did the Princess and the Queen, but it was certainly interesting. When I read tP&tQ I was in the Black camp, but now I'm certainly sympathising with the Greens. There are two sides to every story- and we've seen more than once that just because some one is a badass on the battlefield doesn't mean they will be a good ruler.

Another interesting aspect is how Aemond tamed came to ride Vhagar. It is particularly interesting that others seemed to have feared that something bad might happen to him, that being burned and eaten by the dragon was still considered a possibility. This might mean that, even for a Targaryen, trying to ride a dragon with whom you haven't bonded since its birth was a risky adventure.

Archived