Season 5 Casting v.2

Chebyshov

Jason Isaacs definitely looks like he could be related to Patrick Malahide (Balon). Good eye.

Wrong ethnicity, apparently. They're looking for someone Latino.

I really like Siddig for Doran, but as you said he is not Latino and maybe too slender to play a guy who is basically immobilised in his chair.

I saw someone mention Joaquim de Almeida (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0021835/) in another topic, and I think he might be great. He's the greatest living Portuguese movie actor and in most of his Hollywood movies he played Latino roles so I gather he can do the accent right.

I do think Penny will make it in, although there will be no dog and pig to ride (animal cruelty laws being what they are). I guess they could still do the "jousting" bit the way the performing dwarfs did at the PW, though.

To be fair, the season 1 wasn't nearly as hard to adapt. The problem began in season 2 and now it's going to be bigger than ever in season 5. These are complex books, it's nearly impossible to get them into ten satisfying episodes of television and not cut a lot of material. Also there's the fact that it's becoming increasingly apparent GRRM is boning them and that they have to start to make things up on their own after season 5... It's hard to blame them for loosening up the adaption.

If they're cutting stuff to save time, why have all the fan-fiction? That 5 minute beetle conversation is probably the best example of something unnecessarily added.

The problem is they've expanded the amount of directors and writers per season, many of whom have not read the books. They get a synopsis of what has to happen in it's most basic form (ie Jaime frees Tyrion). I find it very obvious from episode to episode whether or not the writer(s) are actually familiar with the source material.

EDIT: I can see them cutting the Greyjoy arc for more Bronn and Jaime time in Dorne. #Balonwinnerbydefault

The problem is they've expanded the amount of directors and writers per season, many of whom have not read the books.

Um, no. The show's writing staff has shrunk by either a third or two-fifths over the course of the first four seasons, depending on whether you count D&D as individuals or as a writing team. Season 1 had D&D, GRRM, Cogman, Vanessa Taylor and Jane Espenson. Seasons 2-3 had D&D, GRRM, Cogman and Taylor. Seasons 4-5 have D&D, GRRM and Cogman.

The number of directors has increased somewhat. Season 1 had four; Season 2 had 5; Season 3 had 6; Season 4 had 5 again.

All the writers for Season 4 have read the books.

Um, no. The show's writing staff has shrunk by either a third or two-fifths over the course of the first four seasons, depending on whether you count D&D as individuals or as a writing team. Season 1 had D&D, GRRM, Cogman, Vanessa Taylor and Jane Espenson. Seasons 2-3 had D&D, GRRM, Cogman and Taylor. Seasons 4-5 have D&D, GRRM and Cogman.

The number of directors has increased somewhat. Season 1 had four; Season 2 had 5; Season 3 had 6; Season 4 had 5 again.

My bad. I should have double checked before posting :bang:

I guess D&D are overdue a reread.

To be fair, the writing crew is slightly expanded for Season 5, as Dave Hill, who acted as assistant to D&D since 2012, is now a staff writer. He was responsible for writing the histories and lore material for the Season 2 Blu-Ray, though, and I can't see how he could do that without being intimately familiar with the source material.

Also, to be fair, I have no idea whether Vanessa Taylor or Jane Espenson read the books.

Also, to be fair, I have no idea whether Vanessa Taylor or Jane Espenson read the books.

I still remember Taylor's audio commentary for The Old Gods and the New, during Sansa's attempted gang-rape, where she remarked that this scene was an example of how far GRRM was willing to go, apparently unaware that that scene was not from the books.

Obviously Vanessa Taylor read the books. Where else would she have lifted book dialogue from? That would be a helluva coincidence, her just making up lines that happen to have also been ones from the books. I know for example her scene of Sansa dining with Marge and the Q of T was very close to its book incarnation. I mean, I never much liked her writing, but we ought to at least give her credit for that. It's not that hard to read the chapters you're adapting after all.

Obviously Vanessa Taylor read the books. Where else would she have lifted book dialogue from? That would be a helluva coincidence, her just making up lines that happen to have also been ones from the books. I know for example her scene of Sansa dining with Marge and the Q of T was very close to its book incarnation.

Butterbumps was the only thing missing from that scene right?

Coldhands the Just, on 21 Jun 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

They'll certainly use Black Walder and Lame Lothar from season 3, and we might get some features extras on top of that, nothing special though.

I really hope they keep the manderley freys in as well as the winterfell ones. As it stands, it doesn't look like we are going to guet the people who interact with jaime.

so i guess we could have lother at white harbor and black walder at winterfell. not ideal, but could work. I hope they either reuse the established ones, or do a solid job of establishing new ones. the audience really needs to hate them. It could be just walder and lother and some extras, but i hope they have the roles that the other guys had in the books (especially lother's new role as a pie).

Archived