Lysono Marr the real Varys?

Clariana

I was just re-reading the Jon Con chapter in ADWD when this thought leapt out at me. JC and fAegon have just arrived at the port of Volantis and their barge the Shy Maid, is anchored right next to a mummers' barge. Since Illyrio told Tyrion that he and Varys started life as mummers, is this too much of a coincidence?

Then when JC a fA are met in the encampment of the Golden Company there is the mercenaries' master of spies:

"... with lilac eyes and white-gold hair and lips that would have been the envy of a whore... His fingernails were painted purple, and his earlobes dripped with pearls and amethysts."

This really strikes me as overkill, the equivalent of a drama queen stage act, or a pantomime dame. We know that Varys prefers the extreme when it comes to disguises, as Rugen, the black cells turnkey he is portly, smelly, unshaven and gruff... quite unlike the bald beardless perfumed master of spiders.

We also know that Varys in disguise tends to adopt schticks that will put off his expected interlocutors. Rugen, for example, has an extremely tiresome repartee about being related to the Targayens... Jaime, for one, gets heartily sick of this act (without becoming aware that he is being played). What more offputting in an encampment filled with hypermasculine (insecure?) mercenaries than a queen?

The effect on Jon Con (repressed, gay) is clear, at first he believes Lysono to be a woman, when he discovers he is not, he is not inclined to take a closer look.

Is Varys hiding in plain sight here? It has been speculated that Varys is a dragon, Rugen boasts about being a dragon and Lysono, in fact, actually looks like a dragon.

So Varys went on a diet, grew his hair and painted his fingernails... What if Varys is the act and Lysono actually the real man behind it all?

“The first Aegon took Westeros without eunuchs,” said Lysono Maar. “Why shouldn’t the sixth Aegon do the same?”

Possible hint.

And like most hints, extremely ambiguous...

If Lysono is Varys perhaps he is being ironic? Or perhaps he is saying he isn't a eunuch or just a eunuch???

So Varys goes to Essos after helping Tyrion escape, and manages to super quickly become spy-master for the Golden Company (or do they know that it's Varys?), then he travels back to Westeros with Aegon, but sneaks away after they land, going back to King's Landing to kill Kevan?
I'm not as knowledgeable on Westeros/Essos as many of the people on this forum, so I have no idea how long it would take for him to travel:
a) to meet with the GC after leaving King's Landing
and
b ) back to King's Landing from Griffin's Roost
but, it seems like a lot of travelling for no reason to me (of course, there could be some incredible reason that I'm completely unaware of lol... you never know with Varys)

Editted: because the b ) always turns into b) if I don't put a space and it bothers me!

Hasn't Lysono been with the GC for some time though? I'm not syaing it couldn't be Varys, or someone connected to Varys. But I don't remember any mention that Lysono is new, meaning he has been with the GC for quite a while, presumably.

Also, if he's Varys, does this mean Varys and Illyrio are not working together anymore? Since Illyrio plotted to get Aegon to Mereen, while Lysono definitely tries to get him to Westeros.

Hasn't Lysono been with the GC for some time though? I'm not syaing it couldn't be Varys, or someone connected to Varys. But I don't remember any mention that Lysono is new, meaning he has been with the GC for quite a while, presumably.

Also, if he's Varys, does this mean Varys and Illyrio are not working together anymore? Since Illyrio plotted to get Aegon to Mereen, while Lysono definitely tries to get him to Westeros.

Lysono is new.

Lysono is new.

So it might fit.

Either Varys himself or one of Varys' spies. Varys does make an appearance in KL later though.

This of course bring back the question if there has been a bad breakup between Varys and Illyrio, since Varys in this case is steering Aegon in the completely different direction than what Illyrio want him to go.

Yes, your first point is well made...

As to the second, there has been some speculation that Varys is double crossing/using Illyrio...

As Varys isn't seen between when he helps Tyrion escape and when he kills Kevan there would be plenty of time for something like this.

Tyrion goes all the way from King's Landing/Pentos to Volantis which must take a couple of weeks maybe at least?

Plenty of time for Varys to go to Volantis directly then meet the GC and follow them to Westeros.

It's not too far from the Stormlands to the capital really. A few days at most?

The original plan for the GC was to get slaves and go to Mereen to meet Danny. When they found none they turned west to attack Westeros with Aegon. Could it be that if this is really Varys he is still with Ilyrio but is just taking the chance to cause chaos in Westeros ready for her arrival later. Sacrifice Aegon to make the seven kingdoms easier to capture, possibly showing he is fake anyway?

Lysono is new.

So we have... In Essos new spymaster appears and attaches himself to the Westrosi Golden Company, his appearance is so over the top it looks like a disguise... He actually does a lot of his own legwork... In disguise... He directs fAegon towards Westeros ...

Meanwhile... In Westeros following Tywin's assassination in which he may have been indirectly involved, Varys, master of spies, former mummer, who often did his own legwork in disguise, disappears...

Then... The Gold Company land in Westeros and begin what appears to be a successful campaign to gain a foothold for their cause...

Meanwhile... In KL Varys re-appears and murders Kevan Lannister... Specifically telling him it is because he was too good at holding things together after the death of his brother.

Hmmmmmmm... Is that a plot thickening?

Varys was pressing Illyrio to hurry up and invade back in AGOT so Lysono encouraging Aegon to invade is in line with that. I don't think these means they disagree or are working against each other. It may just mean that Illyrio has told Varys "if you want it done differently, then do it yourself".

Lysono Maar comes over to Westeros with the first wave of the CG and Varys turns up in KL a short while after but more than a few days as the small council are talking about the invaders and Jon Con is moving on Storm's End.

It could also explain why Tyrion had to be separated from the GC before Volantis. Tyrion has seen Varys in disguises so many times now, he probably wouldn't be fooled (unless he was drunk like a fish... yeah, nevermind, he wouldn't have seen through anything).

Varys was pressing Illyrio to hurry up and invade back in AGOT so Lysono encouraging Aegon to invade is in line with that. I don't think these means they disagree or are working against each other. It may just mean that Illyrio has told Varys "if you want it done differently, then do it yourself".

Lysono Maar comes over to Westeros with the first wave of the CG and Varys turns up in KL a short while after but more than a few days as the small council are talking about the invaders and Jon Con is moving on Storm's End.

It works doesn't it?

Then there's his name Lys-sono... "sono" means "I am" in Italian... "I am Lys" "Maar" means "sea"...

After seeing so many bs and troll theories for so long, it's refreshing to see one that might have some legitimacy. It's an interesting theory, and it seems to fit into the story pretty well. I still don't quite believe, I need to look more into it. But at the very least it's possible and a good theory, regardless of whether it's true or false.

I was just re-reading the Jon Con chapter in ADWD when this thought leapt out at me. JC and fAegon have just arrived at the port of Volantis and their barge the Shy Maid, is anchored right next to a mummers' barge. Since Illyrio told Tyrion that he and Varys started life as mummers, is this too much of a coincidence?

Then when JC a fA are met in the encampment of the Golden Company there is the mercenaries' master of spies:

"... with lilac eyes and white-gold hair and lips that would have been the envy of a whore... His fingernails were painted purple, and his earlobes dripped with pearls and amethysts."

This really strikes me as overkill, the equivalent of a drama queen stage act, or a pantomime dame. We know that Varys prefers the extreme when it comes to disguises, as Rugen, the black cells turnkey he is portly, smelly, unshaven and gruff... quite unlike the bald beardless perfumed master of spiders.

We also know that Varys in disguise tends to adopt schticks that will put off his expected interlocutors. Rugen, for example, has an extremely tiresome repartee about being related to the Targayens... Jaime, for one, gets heartily sick of this act (without becoming aware that he is being played). What more offputting in an encampment filled with hypermasculine (insecure?) mercenaries than a queen?

The effect on Jon Con (repressed, gay) is clear, at first he believes Lysono to be a woman, when he discovers he is not, he is not inclined to take a closer look.

He's not the only one he describes. Their first meeting with the GC serves to prove that he's a very judgemental man. Except Rhaegar, Blackheart and Aegon, he finds something to put down everybody else: Varys, Elia, Strickland, Lemore.

He's not the only one he describes. Their first meeting with the GC serves to prove that he's a very judgemental man. Except Rhaegar, Blackheart and Aegon, he finds something to put down everybody else: Varys, Elia, Strickland, Lemore.

Oh no, that wasn't the point I was making, I know he describes other characters... and dismisses them... but Lysono seems particularly... extravagant and may, I think, make JC rather uncomfortable, as he would the other macho mercenaries... They wouldn't want to be seen speaking to Lysono for too long because that might impair their reputation, which might suit Lysono very well.

That is Rennifer Longwaters, not Rugen. Jaime figures out that Varys=Rugen.

Also, if your theory was correct then Varys would still be in King's Landing as of the Winds of Winter. However:

Lysono Maar is still in the Stormlands. He meets Arianne at...Griffin's Roost I think.

Archived