Season 5 casting - v. 4 [Spoilers]

Arkash

I also agree with JonCon's Red Beard that we should have a thread that's just for spoiler info and filming pics without discussion and speculation. Where would that be located?

I agree and yet I disagree. I think that if you want straight up casting / filming info Watchersonthewall is definitely the go to site. They have been amazing at getting all the scoops and pics. What is nice on this thread is that when there is a dearth of info coming through, those of us who choose to can speculate about anything vaguely relating to that info. :dunno:

Dalpha, on 05 Aug 2014 - 4:37 PM, said:Dalpha, on 05 Aug 2014 - 4:37 PM, said:

Ah yes, I responded too fast without reading your full quote. Yeah, it could mean she's doing the killing. I would imagine they would say Snake death if one of them had died.

Or there are some actual snakes that get killed. Doesn't Arianne talk about how Oberyn showed her how to catch snakes or something? Maybe the sand snakes are doing this when Jaime arrives.

Random question: Are the rest of the dornish going to have the same accent as Oberyn? I think all or most of the actors for next season have british accents. For some reason I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't consistent with the accents. *cough* stark family *cough*

It's just something I notice because I have a good ear for that kind of thing.

I agree and yet I disagree. I think that if you want straight up casting / filming info Watchersonthewall is definitely the go to site. They have been amazing at getting all the scoops and pics. What is nice on this thread is that when there is a dearth of info coming through, those of us who choose to can speculate about anything vaguely relating to that info. :dunno:

Yeah, I check Watchersonthewall at least once a day right now because we are getting bits and pieces coming out. I am not expecting anything too significant until we get closer to autumn shooting.

I sort of feel sad though.. I actually like the Greyjoy's..

Cutting Arianne, morphing/cutting Quentyn, cutting Vic? What? Arianne's just a sexbomb, and Quentyn and Vic are just dragonfodder? Only meant to make their contemporary's look better? To a degree I agree to that notion.. GRRM is a king in giving us the viewpoints of characters that aren't the real players.. Case and point: Getting Areo, but not Doran. Reek, but not Ramsay. Stuff like that.. But in all honesty, I would wager that Vic is more important than Areo when comparing the two, considering Vic's new found twofold religiousness. Coincidentally, both are axeswingers.. xD

I always feel like the Greyjoy's are like the Lannisters people didn't care to hate.. Aside from the Starks, the Greyjoy's actually have the second highest amount of POV's in their family. It just feels as if we really are still underestimating them..

Greyjoys:

- Theon

- Asha

- Aeron

- Vic

- Missing: Balon, Euron.

Starks:

- Ned

- Cat

- Jon

- Sansa

- Arya

- Bran

- Missing: Benjen, Robb, Rickon

Me, too :( (Look at my avatar)

I see the point of cutting so many POVs; as you said, the POV characters aren't the most time really the real players, kings never get a POV; and that's something I love about GRRM's books. Characters who would actually get lost in the "shuffle" and wouldn't get much attention, are the guys in ASOIAF whose thoughts and feelings we get, and at the same time they're our window/eyes to the kings/players.

The show doesn't work with such a POV structure, and they want to concentrate of course on the most important persons.

Areo is the Driss to Doran's Philippe (that's why he's black now, IMO); Vic... well, they probably just see him as "supplier" of ships for Dany, and who may die early(?) in TWOW :(

His chapters are funny as hell for me and I like Vic, but the show presumably don't want to waste screentime with his fights and his sea journey, where he doesn't interact with other already known, major characters (and has a dragon horn, which could be a red herring), although he'll hopefully meet Dany, Tyrion, Barristan, aso. in TWOW.

But honestly, this omitting affects me more than Arianne's or LS's.

Yes, and if we wouldn't count Jon Snow as a Stark (just hypothetically), they would be even after Ned's death the family with the most POV members. Okay, not the most chapters of course, but beside their kings, the whole family has his/her own chapters (and I'm a fan of these).

Still, sadness and understanding at the same time...

(... and a bit angriness about the show's bias/partiality, since I think D&D already fell in love with the Dornish and may not care about the Ironborn. Might fit to many readers' opinion, mine not.)

ETA: Although I know they love Theon/Reek, so I hope they won't fuck up his arc next season (and whose ADWD chapters are easily my favourites of the whole series).

I'm also looking forward to when Stannis, Asha/Yara and Theon are all together!

I'm still holding out that we'll see Vic take the Iron Fleet to Meereen, but it seems that's almost impossible now. It'll make the show version of The Battle Of Meereen so much less interesting, it seems that the Dragonhorn will play quite a significant role in the overall story. If omly giving Daenerys a means to tame her dragons, the show has established that she can't control them, so cutting the horn would seem foolish.

Watch them give Trystane the horn. :p

I'm still holding out that we'll see Vic take the Iron Fleet to Meereen, but it seems that's almost impossible now. It'll make the show version of The Battle Of Meereen so much less interesting, it seems that the Dragonhorn will play quite a significant role in the overall story. If omly giving Daenerys a means to tame her dragons, the show has established that she can't control them, so cutting the horn would seem foolish.

Battle of Meereen already <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Battle of Winterfell

Battle of Meereen without Vic, the horn and other Ironborn <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Battle of Winterfell

At least, for me.

Maybe Marwyn will bring her the horn in season 6 - I doubt he will appear in season 5 even if the show does give us Marwyn eventually.

Battle of Meereen already <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Battle of Winterfell

Battle of Meereen without Vic, the horn and other Ironborn <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Battle of Winterfell

At least, for me.

Exactly, the only interesting thing is how the Ironborn will come into play and how the horn will be utilised.

Now it's just gonna be Dany vs Slavers Mk.4.

Exactly, the only interesting thing is how the Ironborn will come into play and how the horn will be utilised.

Now it's just gonna be Dany vs Slavers Mk.4.

It'll be a big climactic battle though. The dragons will be huge and will roam about roasting things, there's the gigantic Yunkish army filled with sellswords and we have Barristan leading the Unsullied against them. Then there's Tyrion in the thick of it. It'll be very good, even if not as good as the book version. They could never pull off the book version anyway, ship battles are expensive.

Maybe not Dany personally but all of Dany's major allies will be fighting for Meereen. And although the battle itself will be epic it won't have the same weight to it. During the BoB if Stannis won he'd be King, and the Lannisters would fall from grace. The Battle At The Wall, had the NW had failed it would have equalled a wildling invasion, and undefended Wall, and the certain death of Jon. If the Slavers win this battle (which they almost certainly won't) a few secondary characters will die and Meereen will permit slavery again. If Meereen succeeds things continue as normal.

This battle makes no real difference to the landscape of the world.

Even the Battle Of Winterfell has the near certainty that Stannis' war is over if he loses. Whereas a Stannis victory will mean a significant blow to the Iron Throne.

...that is blatantly wrong. No. They are not "creating their own story" and making a different ending. Reading interviews with them should have let the author know he's wrong. They had GRRM tell them the ending and the arcs of all major characters, they think the ending is completely satisfying, and they're working to bring that ending to the show.

My problem with the article is that the author wants the showrunners to make changes so as to not spoil the books. The showrunners should follow the story when necessary and make changes when necessary, but there shouldn't be any 'obligation' on the showrunners' part to change the story so as to not spoil Martin's ending for him. If Martin gets usurped by the show, that's his own fault.

The articel is pure filler/linkbait. The author doesn't have any special insight or information, it's just a more elborate version of a forum post here, except it gets more attention. Unfortunately.

My problem with the article is that the author wants the showrunners to make changes so as to not spoil the books. The showrunners should follow the story when necessary and make changes when necessary, but there shouldn't be any 'obligation' on the showrunners' part to change the story so as to not spoil Martin's ending for him. If Martin gets usurped by the show, that's his own fault.

Absolutely, Martin alone is to blame if the show spoils the end before the book's ending.

Still, don't you think it is at least plausible that the showrunners are taking diverging paths deliberately, to give us a different version of the same story? That would be a bad choice IMHO, as I agree with you when you say that they "should follow the story when necessary and make changes when necessary"

Archived