(Book and Show spoilers) Which characters will die in Season 5?

larastone

Just curious to hear others' opinions on which characters may bite it in Season 5 of the show.

I am going to repeat something from THAT interview which does not seem to sink in around here:

“I have a large number of important characters who I switch between to tell the entirety of

the story, and that limits who I can kill.”

-George R.R. Martin

So far, as I can remember, D&D have not 'killed off' any major POV characters, before their time, on the show, a number of 2nd stringers , some of whom seem to be a mistake, but no major one's who are on the page.

So far, at least, D&D have been faithful to the page on this score.

I don't know what George has in mind, but I guess the show runners do.

For instance , is Jon going to be eliminated as a POV? Then the Black Watch's POV falls to who?

Stannis or Melisandre or Mance ? Davos will be somewhere else.

I know the show does not tell the story POV style, still it takes its narrative thread from that.

From a story perspective , be it the novels, or the show, my interest in the story would be seriously impaired if most of the major characters, alive now, don't make it to the end of the story.

If the show plans only 3 more seasons and GRRM only two more books no real space left to introduce major new characters ... unless George is shooting for a shaggy-dog story.

So I think it has to be secondary characters , even tho I don't like how it has influenced the show story. The elimination of the 'silent' presence of Dany's Dothraki has blunted the atmosphere about her , even if I had not read the books.

We will see:

- the burning of Mance (though we know that it was fake),
- intriguing death of Balon Greyjoy (one of the 5 kings, so his death too can be considered a big event),
- Janos Slynt's execution by Jon (a truly epic scene),
- the death of Aemon Targ. (which i find pretty sad scene),
- Jon's assasination (though he may survive) (i think this will be one of the season 5's final scenes).

Bonus: many dead dwarfes (fake tyrions) brought to Cersei.

I find this a pretty good death list. Also, we dont know how Sansa's and Bran's storylines will evolve, those also can give us some (and possibly major) deaths.

- Well we know the high septon will die and be replaced by the high sparrow

- we will probably get cersei ordering the death of someone else, i think it might be lollys/handmaiden equivalent being sent to qyburn

- Kevan

- Pycelle

- Maester Aemon :bawl:

- Mance burning (might actually die in the show)

- Slynt

- Lots of Stannis men on the way to winterfell

- Hopefully myranda/ramsays men

- I think someone close to Dany will die, perhaps Missandei. And unsullied person will be murdered by the sons of the harpy

- Balon

- Possible death of Podrick

- Arya's targets; the bank guy, possible NW man

- Loras ?

- Probably sweetrobin with how much they are fast-tracking Sansa's storyline

- Hopefully some Freys make ingredients to a pie

- Hopefully nothing happens to Shireen but i feel like it might, if not in this season, the next season

- Well we know the high septon will die and be replaced by the high sparrow

- we will probably get cersei ordering the death of someone else, i think it might be lollys/handmaiden equivalent being sent to qyburn

- Kevan

- Pycelle

- Maester Aemon :bawl:

- Mance burning (might actually die in the show)

- Slynt

- Lots of Stannis men on the way to winterfell

- Hopefully myranda/ramsays men

- I think someone close to Dany will die, perhaps Missandei. And unsullied person will be murdered by the sons of the harpy

- Balon

- Possible death of Podrick

- Arya's targets; the bank guy, possible NW man

- Loras ?

- Probably sweetrobin with how much they are fast-tracking Sansa's storyline

- Hopefully some Freys make ingredients to a pie

- Hopefully nothing happens to Shireen but i feel like it might, if not in this season, the next season

Maybe Grey Worm will die in stead of Missandei's brother considering how they built these two's relationship in the show.

Maybe Grey Worm will die in stead of Missandei's brother considering how they built these two's relationship in the show.

Yeh i was thinking this could be a possibility. They've really built up Grey Worm as a person when in the book he doesn't really have a personality.

I guess me thinking they'll kill Missandei is because Grey Worm is the leader of the unsullied and presumably hard to kill.

Well, there will be a Stalwart Shield equivalent (we know that from the casting calls leaked) so I dont think Grey Worm will die in his place... he still may die later in the season though but I doubt it.

I don't think they will include Mance's "burning". They could simply make it where Stannis gives Mance to Jon in the same way he gives Rattleshirt to Jon in the books. Mance owes Jon his life because Jon vouched for him to Stannis.

Yeh i was thinking this could be a possibility. They've really built up Grey Worm as a person when in the book he doesn't really have a personality.

I guess me thinking they'll kill Missandei is because Grey Worm is the leader of the unsullied and presumably hard to kill.

That seems hinted at, but does that mean a new Unsullied 'captain' has to be brought forward?

Dany's story , even in the Dance, seems not to not have enough supporting characters , maybe some are coming.

Apparently in WoW Dany and Tyrion meet, but GRRM , I think, said that would not be lasting, or maybe they will come together again?

After Dany 'fly's away' there seems only Barristan Selmy and Missandei , unless the show has Daario stick around?

Daario is a possibility too , since I can't exactly tell where his story is going... there is just not an excess of characters at Merreen.

I can't see it being Dany , cause that just kills one of the trunk story lines.

Well, if the first scene of episode 1 is him falling off the bridge that would be enough for me.

I'm really quite convinced that the opening scene will be Cersei's "Maggy The Frog" dream scene. We'll see the whole scene essentially and it will end with Cersei waking up startled, breathing hard and then a servant runs in to tell her "something". Then cut to theme song...

As for deaths, do you all think there's any chance of us getting Cersei's trial in Episode 10? I'm pretty convinced that her Episode 10 scene will be the Walk and simply the introduction of Robert Strong. But I've seen others speculating that the Walk will be in Episode 9.

As for deaths, do you all think there's any chance of us getting Cersei's trial in Episode 10? I'm pretty convinced that her Episode 10 scene will be the Walk and simply the introduction of Robert Strong. But I've seen others speculating that the Walk will be in Episode 9.

I think Cersei's storyline in last 2 books is enough for one great season and I think there is no reason to add the trial scene, especially when it is not yet released in books.

Let me see, first there are some certain deaths this season.

Some major characters:

• Balon Greyjoy
  • Janos Slynt
  • Maester Aemon
  • Grand Maester Pycelle

Some minor characters:

• Yezzan zo Qaggaz
  • Stalwart Shield

That's not a lot of deaths if you look at GoT standards, so I have some more theories of other characters that might bite it in season 5.

• Kevan Lannister or Queen of Thorns: Right now it doesn't look like Kevan will be back so they might give his role and death to Pycelle only, but I could also see them giving it to Queen of Thorns. She's capable enough to patch the kingdoms back together and she's a beloved characters, which would give her death some impact come the end of the season, both for us viewers, the Tyrells and the rest of the people in King's Landing.
  • Robin Arryn: What will happen in the Vale in season 5 is really anyone's guess, but I get the feeling that, in the books at least, Sweetrobin isn't long for this world. Depending on whether or not Harry Hardyng is gonna play a big role down the line, and if he's included in the show, they might kill Robin off in the upcoming season to move that arc forward.
  • Meryn Trant: There's some theories going around about Meryn Trant maybe going to Braavos and getting killed by Arya. I like this idea. Instead of introducing a Night's Watcher for her to kill, let her stick a sword in the guy actually on her list - and who she talked a lot about last season.
  • Lothar Frey and Black Walder Frey: Unless they introduce new Freys, they could always use the two already established. One could go to Winterfell and getting killed there, either by the killer within the walls or during the battle of ice, and the other could be part of the Lady Stoneheart storyline IF they chose to include it.
  • Varamyr: Apparently, he's only going to be in one episode. Let some White Walker kill him.
  • The people in and around Winterfell (Theon Greyjoy, Stannis Baratheon, Ramsay Bolton, Roose Bolton, Yara Greyjoy and/or Myranda): Hopefully, the show will move ahead in the Northern storyline next season and we'll actually be witnessing the battle of ice. And we have no idea how that battle will end. If they wanna kill of a major character, this would be the place to do it as anyone of the people above would make an impact (well, except for Myranda...)

Let me see, first there are some certain deaths this season.

Some major characters:

• Balon Greyjoy

Janos Slynt

Maester Aemon

Grand Maester Pycelle

Some minor characters:

• Yezzan zo Qaggaz

Stalwart Shield

That's not a lot of deaths if you look at GoT standards, so I have some more theories of other characters that might bite it in season 5.

• Kevan Lannister or Queen of Thorns:

Robin Arryn:

Meryn Trant:

Lothar Frey and Black Walder Frey:

Varamyr:

The people in and around Winterfell (Theon Greyjoy, Stannis Baratheon, Ramsay Bolton, Roose Bolton, Yara Greyjoy and/or Myranda):

I mostly agree with this list. A few other characters that might die:

-Fat Walda (the only established Frey in the North and a reasonable substitute for Little Walder)

-Mance (possibly during rescue mission, possibly Stannis kills him, possibly he dies to the White Walkers at Hardholme)

-Somebody around Dany, be it Missandei, Greyworm, Dario, or Barristan

-Loras

-Hot Pie (killing him would be a way to show how dark the BWB has gotten)

-Beric (probably offscreen if happens at all?)

-Obara (she might be the ambassador to Dany that dies releasing the dragons)

-Gendry (it isn't clear that either Gendry or Edric Storm have an important future in the books, so they might be able to do whatever they want with Gendry)

-Davos (probably not, but I doubt he's going to Skagos and he's supposed to be separated from Stannis)

-Hodor and Meera are both kind of disposable now

-Shireen is at the Wall for a reason, probably not a happy one. But I think she'll probably make it to Season 6.

They've already killed my hopes and dreams, so I don't care.

They will definitely kill Maester Aemon and Janos Slynt. They could of course kill the "Bowen Marsh" character they have recently cast and keep Janos as the main conspirator because of course, that plot should be carried off by the "omg, the evil coward villain!!" instead of being a less simple development of the whole thing. I wouldn't completely discard that, although I want to see the "Edd, fetch me a block scene".

But knowing HBO, it will be "Edd, provide me with tools to carry on this execution, if you please".

In Essos, we'll have Stalwart Shield dying, that's a given. They have already set up the Unsullied being able to "love" even though they're eunuchs and even though many complain about that, it does help to develop SS's death. In books, it looks like some isolated event, but due to the GW/Missandei (kinda) romance, we know the Unsullied are actually trying to have normal lives and they aren't robots. That I like.

Archived