What Are You Listening to XV: You can Destroy the Instrument, but not the Music

Sci-2

Last weekend was my annual festival trip, which these last few years that has meant Rock en Seine in Paris. Again a nice mix of acts I definitely wanted to see (Warpaint, Portishead), acts that I was somewhat familiar with or at least had heard of (St. Vincent, La Roux) and lots of acts that were completely unknown to me beforehand. Somehow the less familiar and unknown tend to be the most fun and I always end up buying some new records when I get home, which also helps keeping the good mood from the festival alive for a few more days.

In a strange twist, Queens of the Stone Age were rather disappointing despite putting on a good show. I think I expected them to finally wow me and enter the circle of my all-time favourites, but it just wasn't happening.

Biggest positive surprise was Janelle Monáe, of whom I had no expectations whatsoever. Excellent performance, and coming home I discovered her first three albums form a kind of multi-part concept album telling the story of an android falling in love and going on the run from bounty hunters. Yeah, yeah, it's, like, metaphorical and stuff, but the surface reading alone is enough to amuse me.

In a strange twist, Queens of the Stone Age were rather disappointing despite putting on a good show. I think I expected them to finally wow me and enter the circle of my all-time favourites, but it just wasn't happening.

Biggest positive surprise was Janelle Monáe, of whom I had no expectations whatsoever. Excellent performance, and coming home I discovered her first three albums form a kind of multi-part concept album telling the story of an android falling in love and going on the run from bounty hunters. Yeah, yeah, it's, like, metaphorical and stuff, but the surface reading alone is enough to amuse me.

Janelle Monae is sensational live and the ArchAndroid is a top, top album!

ETA: She's just brilliant on stage

Last weekend was my annual festival trip, which these last few years that has meant Rock en Seine in Paris. Again a nice mix of acts I definitely wanted to see (Warpaint, Portishead), acts that I was somewhat familiar with or at least had heard of (St. Vincent, La Roux) and lots of acts that were completely unknown to me beforehand. Somehow the less familiar and unknown tend to be the most fun and I always end up buying some new records when I get home, which also helps keeping the good mood from the festival alive for a few more days.

Saw QotSA last year at the Hurricane Festival and I think I saw 2-3 songs and went to the other stage. I really do like them, but I was disappointed. I am really jealous that you saw Portishead.

Janelle Monae is sensational live and the ArchAndroid is a top, top album!

ETA: She's just brilliant on stage

Yup, just by performance (and audience reaction) the best part of the weekend. A bit too much playing around with the audience towards the end (I would have preferred another song or two), but great, great fun.

Saw QotSA last year at the Hurricane Festival and I think I saw 2-3 songs and went to the other stage. I really do like them, but I was disappointed. I am really jealous that you saw Portishead.

Portishead were great, too. Saw them before at Southside a few years ago, and I think last weekends performance was better. Of course not standing in ankle-high mud and freezing rain helped (one of the main reasons why my friends and I switched to Rock en Seine for our go-to festival; yes, we're gettin old...).;)

that just sounds *beyond* cool. And ridiculously my cup of tea. I know what i'll be checking out.

Portishead were great, too. Saw them before at Southside a few years ago, and I think last weekends performance was better. Of course not standing in ankle-high mud and freezing rain helped (one of the main reasons why my friends and I switched to Rock en Seine for our go-to festival; yes, we're gettin old...). ;)

Hah, my friends and I switched from the Hurricane to the Southside, because we're all studying in Southern Germany (originally from the very north of Germany). :D

Cheers for mentioning; really loving what I'm hearing.

Will listen to the albums in order on Spotify; halfway through Metropolis - I fucking love it. ''Many Moons'' is great. If I was gonna make a concept album, it would totally be about androids falling in love and being chased by bounty hunters; in fact I had that story idea for my Gary Numan musical.

Listened to part of ArchAndroid; shall listen to the rest of the album later on after work.

Listening to a few of my favourite songs from the horror musical ''The Devils Carnival'' (the same makers as Repo)

Didn't realise Ivan Moody was the lead singer of Five Finger Death Punch; never listened to them myself, but his song in The Devil's Carnival is one of my favourites from the musical.

''A Penny For a Tale'' I just really like his voice.

Another favourite is ''Trust Me''

and Emilie Autumn is in the musical too, with the song "Prick! Goes the Scorpion's Tale''

which reminds me to listen to some songs from Repo!

The first time I watched Repo, I kind of liked it but didn't love it, the second time I watched it with friends all singing along I thoroughly enjoyed it and now I really like it.

The best songs from Repo in my opinion:

I love "Night Surgeon" best to throw your arms around in the air wailing ''I REEEEEEEEMEMBERRRRRRRRR" when singing along to this song. :P

"Infected" This song is so much fun to sing along to, especially with friends. "Oh tell me why, oh why, are my genetics such a bitch"

and OF COURSE "Zydrate Anatomy" which is just helluva catchy + I fancy the Gravedigger from the movie, lol. ((Just ignore Paris Hilton's part hahaha))

and ''Seventeen'' is so much fun lol. So pop-punky; it's great.

LOL, I think everyone did! hahaha. So catchy.

OMG. Can't believe I forgot ''Legal Assasin'' which is awesome because it's Giles, lol.

These songs are just so much fun to really get all silly and sing along with. Which is all you want from a musical really isn't it hahaha.

Yup way too damn catchy! Used to just find myself singing lines from that song randomly.

Can't disagree with that though I have never watched it with a group of people.

Archived