Season 5 indirectly spoiling books? [book spoilers]

reddy95

tbh I never thought the Grejoy uncles or the various Dorne characters were going to play such a major role in the endgame in the books either. I expect most of them to die in TWOW. ultimately even with the influx of characters in AFFC and ADWD......I think that if you're not a Stark, Targaryen or Lannister you're just not that important.

I think the ending for all the Starks, Lannisters and Targaryens will remain the same on the show and thats what D&D mean by "same ending" imo

I don't see how Jaime and Cersei can last much longer, in all honesty. I can see them making it to ADoS just because there's so much left to cover in TWoW, but there's no way they survive till the "end game". The Lannisters are old news, with the exception of Tyrion. There's just no way they can feasibly survive two different Targaryen invasions.

Similarly, I don't think the characters who have only just been introduced are too likely to die just yet... They still have to impact the plot first. Dany's visions in the House of the Undying are perhaps the best indication of where the story might be heading. We know she has to be the "slayer of lies" for Stannis, Aegon, and whoever represents the vision of a stone beast breathing shadow fire (my guess: fake Azor Ahai, fake Targaryen, fake dragon). I wouldn't be surprised if the third vision is about Euron and he outlives most of the other new characters introduced in AFfC/ADwD.

I used to think they picked the title Game of Thrones because it was the most catching, I think, out of the books, but I am beginning to wonder about that. Sometimes I wonder if they did get the Old Bear's message about when some things are so bad.........it matters not a whit who sits the Iron Throne. Granted, that is big question, or should I say, how the Kingdoms are ruled is a big question for the end, but it's not the be all and end all, I don't think, anyway. I'm not so sure they get that. Time will tell, and it's thoughts like this that will help me as I try and watch for a bit of actor and scenery enjoyment, as I'm taking 'new' material to necessarily mean the future books are being spoiled.

Sometimes I wonder, too. The journey matters, and I'm not so sure the showrunners see the journey the same way GRRM sees the journey, or if they do, if they are going to show it that way (and we've certainly seen a lot of changes with respect to this so far).

What GRRM is talking about here is the journey, not just the ending:

"I've always agreed with William Faulkner -- he said that the human heart in conflict with itself is the only thing worth writing about. I've always taken that as my guiding principle, and the rest is just set dressing. I mean, you can have a dragon, you can have a science fiction story set on a distant planet with aliens and starships, you can have a western about a gunslinger, or a mystery novel about a private eye, or even literary fiction -- and ultimately you're still writing about the human heart in conflict with itself. So that's the way I try to approach this thing."

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2011/07/george-rr-martin-on-sex-fantasy-and-a-dance-with-dragons/241738/

Honestly, so will I. I am interested to see what end, or endings (depending how one wants to look at it, character and separate story line wise), the show comes up with. I'm just not banking on a lot of it having much meaning, spoilerwise.

I just need closure one way or another.

I think they chose Game of Thrones because it was the catchiest, really.

I don't see how Jaime and Cersei can last much longer, in all honesty. I can see them making it to ADoS just because there's so much left to cover in TWoW, but there's no way they survive till the "end game". The Lannisters are old news, with the exception of Tyrion. There's just no way they can feasibly survive two different Targaryen invasions.

Similarly, I don't think the characters who have only just been introduced are too likely to die just yet... They still have to impact the plot first. Dany's visions in the House of the Undying are perhaps the best indication of where the story might be heading. We know she has to be the "slayer of lies" for Stannis, Aegon, and whoever represents the vision of a stone beast breathing shadow fire (my guess: fake Azor Ahai, fake Targaryen, fake dragon). I wouldn't be surprised if the third vision is about Euron and he outlives most of the other new characters introduced in AFfC/ADwD.

Well Cersei is pretty much the central character in KL and I do think Jaime and Cersei will survive TWOW. Obviously Tyrion is more important than Jaime and Cersei but I still think Jaime and Cersei are much more important than the any of the other characters that aren't Starks or Dany.

Plus the three heads of the dragons is Stark (Jon is 50% stark no matter what), Lannister and Targaryen. and no I don't believe the Tyrion is a targaryen theories

Therefore my conclusion that the Starks, Targaryens and Lannisters are most important characters

Robert, Renly, Viserys, Ned, Oberyn and Robb all died before the end game, and yet it would be ridiculous to say that it's "as if they had never been".

The plot strands and characters introduced in AFfC/ADwD are important for setting up the end game. Westeros and the main characters aren't yet in the position GRRM wants them to be during the war against the Others, hence the importance of the new plot strands.

But what they did impacted on the key characters in very important ways.

Many suspect that Victorian is toast in WOW how is he having a key impact on the story if that is the case.

The best example is Quentyn, aside from releasing the dragons (which a forgetful maid could have accomplished as easily), he has vanished from the scene with barely a ripple. I very much suspect this is a harbinger of how many of the new characters and plots introduced in AFFC/ADWD will be resolved.

Honestly, so will I. I am interested to see what end, or endings (depending how one wants to look at it, character and separate story line wise), the show comes up with. I'm just not banking on a lot of it having much meaning, spoilerwise.

Pretty much sums up my stance. I'm kind of excited to be going into uncharted waters, because at least this will give us new material about which to theorize, lol. But yeah, any "new material" will be taken with a skeptical eye.

Do they have a history of strategically withholding casting information?

Ramsay. He was never in any press releases and was only found due to fans digging into casting agency's websites, and even there he was only ever referred to there as 'Boy.' If Aegon is in, I would expect D&D to treat him the same way.

Ramsay. He was never in any press releases and was only found due to fans digging into casting agency's websites, and even there he was only ever referred to there as 'Boy.' If Aegon is in, I would expect D&D to treat him the same way.

There was a leaked pic of him along with other cast members, too. I think that was more telling than any of the other information.

Archived