The First Law by Joe Abercrombie Vx (spoilers through LAOK for now)

Pilusmagnus

Ferro is boring however. She just hates everything.

I DID liked Ferro, although she isn't one of my favorites I still enjoyed her character in general. I remember liking the fact that at the start she is in a totally different enviroment than all the other ones, and that made me interested on her backstory and storyline in general.

The Heroes had by far the best POV's, in my opinion. Loved everyone of them

I won't deny the fact that The Heroes has one of the best PoVs in the series.

Couldn't make the spoiler code work, so I'll just say the only PoV I wasn't that fond of was the one that starts with G.

I pictured Pai Mei as Yulwei until I learnt that he was actually black.

Also, since the thread is now 3 pages long and since I have a question, let's try :

In the name of Bel, and his toad-lord Callych; in the name of Succellos, and his worm-master Horfael, I summon thee, Lord Grimdark, to this forum.

This is my question : Dear Lord Grimdark, do you consider yourself a gardener or an architect?

If you don't understand what I mean : http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/749309-i-think-there-are-two-types-of-writers-the-architects

Also, since the thread is now 3 pages long and since I have a question, let's try :

In the name of Bel, and his toad-lord Callych; in the name of Succellos, and his worm-master Horfael, I summon thee, Lord Grimdark, to this forum.

This is my question : Dear Lord Grimdark, do you consider yourself a gardener or an architect?

Did you remember to cut a hamster's throat, and drink its blood?

How about Iwan Rheon to play Glokta?

If you don't understand what I mean : http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/749309-i-think-there-are-two-types-of-writers-the-architects

You could always try his blog. He had a post on that very subject once and even mentions it in his most recent "writing update". To sum it up he was an architect who is gradually turning into a gardener. You shouldn't invoke authors for paltry matters for fear of their wrath.

Just a feeling that some chapters were just here because the author found they were fun and did not know what to do later with them. That's how I write and I felt Joe was taking the same kind of pleasure. (You mind if I call him Joe?)

You should probably stop making wrong assumptions and read the next books. No chapter is useless in the books.

Just a feeling that some chapters were just here because the author found they were fun and did not know what to do later with them. That's how I write and I felt Joe was taking the same kind of pleasure. (You mind if I call him Joe?)

And you don't think he did that on purpose? Architects don't plan every chapter and every detail beforehand.

From what I understand, if GRRM considers himself a gardener even if he has the ending in mind since the beginning, that means you can't consider an author who simply knows what happens next as an architect. An architect has his entire story planned before he writes. He doesn't add chapters because he finds it fun, which is what I felt Joe was doing. (But I can be totally wrong.)

From what I understand, if GRRM considers himself a gardener even if he has the ending in mind since the beginning, that means you can't consider an author who simply knows what happens next as an architect. An architect has his entire story planned before he writes. He doesn't add chapters because he finds it fun, which is what I felt Joe was doing. (But I can be totally wrong.)

Didn't GRRM invent this whole "gardener-architect"-thing? And even if what you say is true, I don't know even one author who fits in that "architect"-category. Do you? I think everyone is a little of both.

Gardeners should know some keyscenes of their story and even architects should be spontaneous.

Archived