Northern Independence and the Scottish Referendum

Salafi Stannis

Just a few odd similarities I picked up: The northern half (the North, Scotland) of an island nation (Westeros and Great Britain, which bear similar geographical and cultural traits) which used to be independent and ruled by it's own king, and has been united with several other countries for approx. 300 years (since appox. 0AL, 1707 AD) tries to reclaim independence in a campaign (Northern rebellion, Yes campaign) spearheaded by a person who is ruler of that region (Robb Stark, Alex Salmond), but is still a subordinate to the monarch of the country (The King of Westeros, the Queen of the UK). They are officially ruled by the monarch of the country, but are in reality ruled by people who are not the monarch, but still run the country (Tywin Lannister, David Cameron). They want to be independent because want more powers which they feel are deprived of them by the southerners who rule them (the King and Small Council, the Prime Minister and Westminster), whom some in the north (Northern lords, Scottish nationalists) feel that they are better than. The campaign fails, which results in the ruler of the region (Robb Stark, Alex Salmond) losing his position (Lord of Winterfell, First Minister of Scotland).

Well there u go folks ggrm knows how to look into the future and then base books around it for current day events he is totally mind blowing everyone i cant wait till i read about the similarties between Cersei and the new Madonna album

Aye, nice wee parallels there. (Sorry!)

Let's hope there'll be no Red Wedding for the SNP like there was for the Starks. I have a feeling that, with Salmond stepping aside, the petty lords in the SNP will descend into internal feuding and vying for positions. So it goes for Scotland... :-(

Of course, hasn't GRRM said Hadrian's Wall was the inspiration for The Wall? Which would make Lands Beyond the Wall = Caledonia, Picts = Freefolk.

I'm not saying that at all, but I just noticed a few odd similarities.

Oh, the similarities between democratic referendum where entire nation decides about their fate and the group of noblemen unilaterally pronouncing independence and the King? When you put that way... :)

I think the OP makes a good point. I think there are many parellels. A northern nation ruled from a capital in the south, where the people who rule may not always be working for what's in the best interests of the peope in the north. The thing I appreciated about the Scottish Independence campaign is that the Scottish people themselves had the chance to vote and they got to choose whether to be independent or not.

Obviously Britain is a democracy, Westeros is not, so the parallel stops there. Still, I can't help but think that if the IT simply accepted northern independence because it was the will of the northern lords (smallfolk's opinions don't really matter because it doesn't make much of a difference to them either way), there would be a lot less warring and a lot more peace. But this is Westeros where wars are fun and peace is boring.

Poor Scotland... now at the mercy of David Lannister ,Nigel Tyrell and Charles "Baratheon"...

There will no longer be a true Scot in Glasgow... and I shall die here at the Red Poll...

... Scotland needs a saviour... what are those banner in the distance? I see red an...

Archived