Small Questions v 10091

Stubby

Here comes another, a little bit different in content from the other one.

From my admittedly cursory inspection it appears that there were no unsanswered questions from the last thread.

If someone cares to continue the previous list, please feel free to do so.

Finally, as usual, please report the thread when it reaches 400 posts.

Thanks all.

During one of Jon/Sams POVs, Sam is finding out about all the youngest lord commanders. and he says something like "but this blah blah says there was 674blahblah lord commanders, that means it was written during.." "Long ago interrupted Jon"... WHEN WAS IT WRITTEN DURING? Was Sam going to say the long night? the age of heroes? what?

In the last thread, about the people who know about the twincest, aryagonnakill#2 provided this list :

I don't think Bran really remembers yet, and the people who yelled brotherfucker certainly have no proof.

I think the list I gave was accurate

Varys

LF

UnCatlyn

Lancel

Tyrion

Brienne

During a re-read I fell yesterday on somebody else : Ilyn Payne. After Jaime has met Lancel in the sept at Darry, he trains with Ilyn and tells him how he fucked Cersei over Robert's body in Lord Darry's bed, when they returned from Winterfell to King's Landing.

Firefawkz, here's the relevant part of the quote:

The oldest histories we have were written after the Andals came to Westeros. The First Men only left us runes on rocks, so everything we think we know about the Age of Heroes and the Dawn Age and the Long Night comes from accounts set down by septons thousands of years later. There are archmaesters at the Citadel who question all of it. Those old histories are full of kings who reigned for hundreds of years, and knights riding around a thousand years before there were knights. You know the tales, Brandon the Builder, Symeon Star-Eyes, Night's King ... we say that you're the nine-hundred-and-ninety-eighth Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, but the oldest list I've found shows six hundred seventy-four commanders, which suggests that it was written during -

So, one on the points seems to be how ancient history is uncertain and murky (The Reader makes similar point in one of Asha's chapters), and how records written by people from thousands of years later can't be trusted. But for the sake of discussion - it can't be Long Night, since NW was founded at the end of it. If you want, do some math - NW is cca 8000 years old and has had 998 Lords Commanders. Assuming each of them ruled over a similar period of time, you can easily calculate where to place 674th LC.

Well, according to legend the Long Night was ~ 8300 years ago. Since then the NW had almost 1000 LC. Thus the average serving time of a LC is a bit more than 8 years. So if at least 674 LCs were known when we book was written, I'd guess it's less than 3000 years old.That might be around the time the first Andals joined the NW (the Andals invaded Westeros sometime between 6000 and 2000 years ago), which would make sense since it says in the same chapter that basically all records were written after the Andal invasion.

edit: Well, I got ninjaed...

In the last thread, about the people who know about the twincest, aryagonnakill#2 provided this list :

I don't think Bran really remembers yet, and the people who yelled brotherfucker certainly have no proof.

I think the list I gave was accurate

Varys

LF

UnCatlyn

Lancel

Tyrion

Brienne

During a re-read I fell yesterday on somebody else : Ilyn Payne. After Jaime has met Lancel in the sept at Darry, he trains with Ilyn and tells him how he fucked Cersei over Robert's body in Lord Darry's bed, when they returned from Winterfell to King's Landing.

Well, few others kno(e)w for certain - like Pycelle, Stannis, Jon Arryn, Ned, probably Illyrio and maybe Bloodraven - but I guess plenty of people strongly suspect it and almost treat is as fact. Kevan, for example, certainly seems to be on board.

Did tywin know about twincest?? Always confused me

I think he knew. I've always wondered about his quote from AGOT "I have felt from the beginning that Stannis was a greater danger than all the others combined." This was right after he got beat by Robb. I wonder when was the "beginning." Was it when Tywin realized the twincest or just at the onset of the War?

I think he knew. I've always wondered about his quote from AGOT "I have felt from the beginning that Stannis was a greater danger than all the others combined." This was right after he got beat by Robb. I wonder when was the "beginning." Was it when Tywin realized the twincest or just at the onset of the War?

This is a good thread...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/115737-tywins-plan/

The beginning for Tywin most likely would have been sometime before he sent Gregor into the Riverlands.

My first ever post (having been reading for a couple of months). Anyway ...

It is established in a Feast for Crows that in a trial by combat, the Royal family must be represented by a Kingsguard. Cersei goes on about this at length because she needs to ensure that Margaery will be defended by an incompetent. So, how is it that in Tyrion's trial by combat, Gregor Clegane is the Crown's champion. Maybe I have missed something, but I can't think what.

Hello, elkeigh, and welcome to the forum :cheers:

It's been established that Kingsguard must defend the honour of a member of royal family, meaning that if e.g. Cersei was defendant, she would have to choose member of KG as her champion. Since Cersei is the accuser in Tyrion's trial, she's free to choose woever she likes.

It is established in a Feast for Crows that in a trial by combat, the Royal family must be represented by a Kingsguard. Cersei goes on about this at length because she needs to ensure that Margaery will be defended by an incompetent. So, how is it that in Tyrion's trial by combat, Gregor Clegane is the Crown's champion. Maybe I have missed something, but I can't think what.

At Cersei's trial, and Margaery's, it is the royal family who stands accused, and thus needs a KG representative.

At Tyrions trial, it isn't a member of the royal family (King, Queen, Dowager Queen, Prince Consort, Prince, Princess) who stands accused. It is the royal family who is the accuser. So Tyrion didn't have the right to a KG representative of his own. Had he been able to convince a KG to represent him, a KG could have fought for him (there wouldn't have been any KG who would have said "yes", though).

Cersei, as the accuser in Tyrion's trial, was allowed to choose whoever she wanted. She only needed a KG representative in the case she was the accused.

Cersei was the accuser, not the accused. So no need for her to put forth a KG as champion. Barristan tells us that the King could extend KG protection to or withhold from anyone he wished. Presumably the King would never be accused. But his Queen might be, and Cersei tells us that she must be defended by KG when accused. Whether that would apply to a prince or princess and whether a brother-in-law or uncle would be a prince is debatable.

Just saw some pictures from the set of the show, Tyrion is sitting next to Hizdahr and Dany at the fighting pits, and Jorah is fighting in them. Very interesting, I wonder if that means no Aegon.

As much as I'd like to bite... this is the book forum :)

I'm working on a theory, that includes all Other/Ice/magic stems from First Men Blood.

The same concept applies to Targaryens, with Valyrian blood (Rh'llor/Dragons/Fire)

That it's the blood and it's potency without dilution that offers the possibility for magical prowess. Thus the reason for Craster's incest, and Targaryen incest, to promote and increase potency of their respective ingredient (first men/valyrian)

My question is, what ancient blood, would green fall under. Rhoyner/Andal, etc?

This blood, would more than likely make up Bloodraven's mother's side, as well as be included in the Reeds, etc. Is there any link where they may be descended from an ancient bloodline similar to First Men for Ice, and Valyrian for Fire?

P.S. it's also a possible, that Tully's descend from this same bloodline and would leak into Bran. It wouldn't effect Jon obviously if R/L/J, but the rest of the stark kids would maintain First Men blood & green blood

Archived