Why is Tyrion everybody's favorite?

Onime

He's witty, honorable and one of the best characters imo. He's the only main Lannister not to have his ass kissed their entire lives he however must endure different struggles constantly, not that any of them have it easy but he's got it bad. Plus you have Peter Dinklage killing it as Tyrion and he's the only person who stands up against Joffrey's bullshit.

Agree with first half of your post. I don't think his underlying personality or his actions are loathsome loathsome - he's a product of his environment and of the dynastic real politik of the times and the family he was born in. He tries to exercise compassion, reason and - yes - self-restraint throughout the first 3 books but for various reasons he makes choices that don't look great in the cold light of day. I don't believe he's a cruel, or vindictive man. He tried to rule diligently as Hand and to date has shown more concern for the smallfolk and middle-ranking citizens of KL than any ruler/ Hand we've yet seen close quarter or heard about. His murder of Shae - and yes that is unequivocally what that is in the book and for me even in the TV series - damns him in the sight of many readers. I think it's going to be interesting to see what Unsullied are saying and writing about him come Season 5. I think he'll have enduring popularity in the series because D&D are wise to the backlash connected to his wallowing "where do whores go" persona across ADWD. We're not going to have quite such a "pathetic" TV Tyrion on our hands, and that's no bad thing.

To each her own :dunno: . I have my own reasons for feeling the way I do, which I've articulated a few times (those were just yesterday, here's a couple more), but that's beyond the scope of this thread. He is very complex and well-written, as well as realistic/witty. So it's not shocking a lot of people like him. And as I said, I like him as a literary character and what he brings to the story. But I don't like him.

He is one of my fav's. He got a bad lot in life and was still caring and understanding. And I can even understand his character falling down into the gutter as he did. I think, that it wasnt the whole being blamed for joffs murder or killing shae and tywin that was driving him to drink. I think it was jamies lie. All his life tryion felt that not matter what "jamie would be there for him" and too finally find out that it wasnt true, well he must feel truly alone. So I feel so sorry for him. That has got to be a horrible feeling.

I like him because he's very human. Those who have never done or wished something bad upon those who had hurt them, then go ahead and throw the first stone at him.

This.

He is so very perfectly imperfect, in my humble opinion. He does some pretty awful things, I grant you, but underneath his waspish tongue, ruthlessness and sarcasm is someone who is compassionate, moral and incredibly intelligent. He knows exactly who he is, accepts it and uses it for the benefit of himself and others: he's a dwarf, and he uses this to stand up for all the cripples, bastards and broken things in the story (Jon, Bran, Penny, Sansa, Pod, even Jorah); he's incredibly clever, and uses this to play the game of thrones and ends up being of the few highborns other than Ned who we see actually cares about the smallfolk and fate of KL (everyone else seems to want to burn it down...).

One thing I love about him is that he has a weird but undeniable sense of justice: Janos Slynt, Joffrey, Shae (come on, we all know she DESERVED it) all show examples of this. I like that about him.

I pity him. He has to go through so many awful things with Tysha, Shae, Cersei, Sansa, the Blackwater, slavery, and while he doesn't always deal with these gracefully there is something easy to sympathise with about him. I just feel so sorry for him because he's so under-appreciated by everyone in the books (conversely some fans appreciate him too much), and at heart I just see him as some poor hopeless romantic constantly searching for Tysha (I know that's not at all the whole part of his character but to me it's an important part, if not the main one).

He's flawed, and is the greyest of all the grey characters in the book, but like JonCon^ said, he's incredibly human and that's why so many people are drawn to him. He's my favourite character, though not necessarily my favourite person, because he's so interesting.

I liked him at the beginning of GoT when he was at Winterfell and the Wall. He seemed a sincere and likeable fellow who had been dealt a bad hand. He got darker with every book. He's still well written and an interesting storyline, but his path is cringe-worthy now. I still like his POV's, but wouldn't want to have him over for dinner.

Stereotypical book-writing.

Do you remember that movie about that Centurion in the Roman army who defeated a bunch of German wildlings who tried to break/escape the Roman power ? What was its name ? Oh wait, that movie was never made. Because all American movies are about the lone anti-hero who takes on the establishment, and wins, against all odds.

Modern heroes need to be:

- a loner

- anti-establishment

- underdog

- having everyone and everything against them ....

- even though the hero did nothing wrong (quite the opposite).

Tyrion has all those qualities. He's the perfect All-American Hero. You might think he's not, but then you live pre-WWII. Nowadays, this is what heroes in the movies look like. Maybe the viewer's perspective will change when Tyrion is in Essos, you never know.

Tyrion is an amazing character, extremely well-written. That a reader can completely understand why he is the person he is while still disliking the things he does, can feel so sympathetic to him while simultaneously being really repulsed by him, is quite a creative accomplishment.

That doesn't necessarily equate to favorite character. though. Just as acknowledging his (sometimes grievous) faults doesn't necessarily mean that he is hated.

Let's ask Bran who his favorite Lannister is.

Guy who threw him out a window? Probably not coming in first.

Guy who sent an assassin after him and later had his father's head chopped off and was absolutely beastly to his oldest sister?

Don't see him getting the blue ribbon either.

And then there's the guy who owed him nothing but designed a saddle just for him so that even if he couldn't walk he could still ride.

Or does being misshapen and unattractive outweigh that?

He is? That's new to me.

He plays in the same league as Varys or LF? Most definitely not, otherwise he wouldn't have spent pretty much the entire series being played by the one or the other.

And he's a traitor, mass murderer, rapist and a couple other morally rather repugnant names. Jaime is morally better, and they deserve to hang from the same branch.

Who are these masses he's supposed to have murdered?

And to whom is he a traitor?

Let's ask Bran who his favorite Lannister is.

Guy who threw him out a window? Probably not coming in first.

Guy who sent an assassin after him and later had his father's head chopped off and was absolutely beastly to his oldest sister?

Don't see him getting the blue ribbon either.

And then there's the guy who owed him nothing but designed a saddle just for him so that even if he couldn't walk he could still ride.

Or does being misshapen and unattractive outweigh that?

After finding out he argeed to forcefully marry his sister Sansa? Probably would pick Tommen.

Who are these masses he's supposed to have murdered?

And to whom is he a traitor?

Apart from the people in the Vale, the smallfolk around KL, that bard, the guys in Riverrun (breaking guest right no less!)?

King Robert, King Stannis, King Tommen.

After finding out he argeed to forcefully marry his sister Sansa? Probably would pick Tommen.

Maybe Myrcella. And that's the extent of it.

So Bran wanted Sansa to marry Lancel?

'Cause she was getting a Lannister husband, regardless, and there was no way for Tyrion to stop that unless he killed her.

If he killed Lancel and then himself, Tywin would have dug up somebody else in the family to marry Sansa and her inheritance.

Apart from the people in the Vale, the smallfolk around KL, that bard, the guys in Riverrun (breaking guest right no less!)?

King Robert, King Stannis, King Tommen.

Maybe Myrcella. And that's the extent of it.

How was he a traitor to Robert?

And how does one go about being loyal to both Stannis and Tommen simultaneously?

The only killing Tyrion personally did in the Vale was in defense of himself, Lady Stark, and the rest of their party.

After Lysa forces him out where he's bound to be set upon by the same barbarians or someone just like them, he does what he has to to keep from being killed (which was what she had in mind, she who accused him of the murder she herself committed) and keeps the promise of weapons and armor he made. If those barbarians return to the Vale better equipped to do what they'd been doing all along, they aren't acting on his orders--at that point he's injured and Tywin has taken over and fired them from their previous military duties in defense of Kings Landing.

Tyrion had no part in the planning or carrying out of the Red Wedding, nor advance knowledge of it.

The singer was blackmailing him, and by doing so, liable to get Shae hanged.

As for "the smallfolk around KL", I can't figure out to whom you refer.

Archived