The best? (*spoiler's on all content.*)

The silver dragon

Eddard Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North.

His people thrived and seemed happy. He was a just and wise Lord and he made sure he knew his people. If I had to live under a liege, I'd rather have Ned than Tywin or just about anyone else, especially the vapid queen of meereen.

Eddard Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North.

His people thrived and seemed happy. He was a just and wise Lord and he made sure he knew his people. If I had to live under a liege, I'd rather have Ned than Tywin or just about anyone else, especially the vapid queen of meereen.

i totality agree with the first one.

The second is a bit more arguable.

I agree with Firespider above. If, in this scenario, I am some random peasant type then I think Ned would be a great Lord to have. No random violence, just rule etc.

If I'm a soldier then I think I would most like to follow Barristan into battle because he's awesome.

I also think Mance was a pretty great leader, not sure of anyone else who could unite as disparate a people as the wildlings...

i totality agree with the first one.

The second is a bit more arguable.

You agree that Eddard is a good liege lord but you disagree with it also? Can you be a bit more specific about how you would argue that point? I am not sure I understand the argument. Its very clear in the books that his people loved him and even in his death they are rallying the North to take Winterfell back for the Starks. A man who inspires that kind of loyalty has to be very well respected, but also very well loved by his people.

I agree with Firespider above. If, in this scenario, I am some random peasant type then I think Ned would be a great Lord to have. No random violence, just rule etc.

If I'm a soldier then I think I would most like to follow Barristan into battle because he's awesome.

I also think Mance was a pretty great leader, not sure of anyone else who could unite as disparate a people as the wildlings...

Thank you. I truly admire Barristan Selmy. Mance is clearly a leader, even a good one, unfortunately, he's also a deserter.......

You agree that Eddard is a good liege lord but you disagree with it also? Can you be a bit more specific about how you would argue that point? I am not sure I understand the argument. Its very clear in the books that his people loved him and even in his death they are rallying the North to take Winterfell back for the Starks. A man who inspires that kind of loyalty has to be very well respected, but also very well loved by his people.

by "second one" i meant what i highlighted. ​(the part about him being wise.)

The best leaders have been Dany (yes she is a very inspirational leader) and Jon. Being a good leader isn't the same thing as being a good ruler. We haven't really seen any particularly great rulers in the main story so far.

The best historical rulers are by far Jaehaerys and Alysanne.

The best leaders have been Dany (yes she is a very inspirational leader) and Jon. Being a good leader isn't the same thing as being a good ruler. We haven't really seen any particularly great rulers in the main story so far.

This.

I would also add (about Dany) that even though her people are uncertain of whether she is dead or alive they are still fighting for her cause in her name. She also inspires a great deal of loyalty.

I think the people of Astapor would disagree with that. She left them to die. She knew the situation there was bad that the government she set up had failed and she did nothing. I am waiting to see how her character develops when she returns. I give her some license because she is very young, but I do not call her an inspiration. The slaves in Volantis are hoping she's going to free them as well. Maybe that is what will happen. Dany will live happily ever after as the Dragon Lady that abolished slavery and never returns to Westeros and settles down and raises a family with Daario in Braavos in a house with a red door and a lemon tree.

I think the people of Astapor would disagree with that. She left them to die. She knew the situation there was bad that the government she set up had failed and she did nothing. I am waiting to see how her character develops when she returns. I give her some license because she is very young, but I do not call her an inspiration. The slaves in Volantis are hoping she's going to free them as well. Maybe that is what will happen. Dany will live happily ever after as the Dragon Lady that abolished slavery and never returns to Westeros and settles down and raises a family with Daario in Braavos in a house with a red door and a lemon tree.

The former slaves of Astapor still saw Dany as their mother. Those who fled went to her in Meereen still called her mother and believed in her. Sadly, they were all sick with the pale mare and Dany had to shut them from her city. But nonetheless, they still believed in her to the very end.

You don't call her inspirational and yet in your very next sentence you mention Volantis. How is she not inspirational when men and women who have never met her but only heard of her deeds are begging for her to come and help their revolution, if that's not inspiration, then I don't know what is.

How is she not inspirational when her own people who are unsure whether she's dead or alive are still fighting for her cause? Just the belief that she might be alive is enough to inspire them to continue to fight in her name.

Shoot, her little khalasar followed her through the Red Waste because they believed in her and although many die, the survivors still follow her to this day. She got the Dothraki to sail in open water, the same water they call poison. She inspires people to go against their own fears.

I can go on and on about how strong and inspirational of a leader she is but I won't bother.

Archived