Highly recommended for GoT TV fans: I, Claudius

rsngfrce

It suddenly occurred to me that last night how similar in "feeling" I find the Game of Thrones television show and the 1976 BBC 13 episode mini-series I, Claudius. Game of Thrones is a 'medieval' series and I, Claudius is set in the Roman empire, but I find both series to be amazingly similar in their intrigue, power struggles and "genre-breaking" style.

I've now searched the forums and found that I'm not the first person to draw this comparison, which doesn't surprise me, though I don't think this show has been recommended on its own as highly as it deserves. As others have pointed out here (I have learned), GRRM was a big fan of this television series himself and he has been quoted as saying that the character Stannis Baratheon was largely based off George Baker's portrayal of Tiberius in this series.

A SHORT SYNOPSIS:
The mini-series follows the history of the Roman Empire, from approximately the death of Marcellus (24/23 BC) to Claudius' own death in 54 AD. As Claudius narrates his life, we witness Augustus' attempts to find an heir, often foiled by his wife Livia who wants her son Tiberius to become emperor. We also see the conspiracy of Sejanus, the infamous reign of Caligula, and Claudius' own troubled period of rule.

STARRING:
Derek Jacobi as Claudius
George Baker as Tiberius
Margaret Tyzack as Antonia
Siân Phillips as Livia
Brian Blessed as Augustus
James Faulkner as Herod Agrippa
John Hurt as Caligula

and lessor appearances by recognizable names include:
Patrick Stewart as Sejanus
John Rhys-Davies as Macro
Bernard Hill as Gratus

AWARDS:
1978 Primetime Emmy Awards - WON - Outstanding Art Direction for a Drama Series
1978 Primetime Emmy Awards - Nominated - Outstanding Directing in a Drama Series
1978 Primetime Emmy Awards - Nominated - Outstanding Limited Series
1977 BAFT TV Awards - WON - Best Actor, Derek Jacobi
1977 BAFT TV Awards - WON - Best Actress, Siân Phillips
1977 BAFT TV Awards - WON - Best Design
1977 BAFT TV Awards - Nominated - Best Drama Series/Serial

I have a 5 DVD set of this series. This version is out of print and overly expensive.

I'm GLAD I looked into this, because I discovered that a new and improved 35th Anniversary Edition DVD set has been released that I was not aware of. I am going to have to purchase this myself!

I hope I'm able to turn some people on to this amazing show that they might well have been unaware of it... HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Love it. I particularly like the generational epic feel they achieved simply with makeup and acting. There are basically no battles or drama in the action-sense of modern cinema, and yet it's engrossing, thrilling, exciting. Really fine quality from the BBC here.

I always thought that King Robert's character was based on BRIAN BLESSED's Emperor Augustus. That Stannis is based on Baker's Tiberius is news to me, but not surprising.

Yes. Definitely NOT the epic that Game of Thrones is... others here have commented that it looks like it was filmed on a stage set, but that is not the point and doesn't diminish the show in the least.

Interesting that you mention thinking King Robert's character being based on BRIAN BLESSED's portrayal of Emperor Augustus, because I personally agree with you (he was also great in a very similar yet VERY different role in Black Adder and should also be familiar to fans of the CLASSIC Blake's 7 :bowdown: ... ack, I've fallen into geekdom...). Its been a while since the multiple times I've watched it (the first time or two being on TV), but to my memory I think parallels can also be drawn between numerous other characters, whether they influenced GRRM or not...

Claudius and Tyrion.

Livia and Cersei.

Caligula and Joffrey.

and likely others...

Probably the best acting ever on television. Every role is perfect IMO (except one - and that one isn't bad). The special effects could be done better today by almost any middle-school student with an iMac.

Let's just say that someday when a woman named Cat shows up and starts guiding me through Doorways to alternate universes, I will spend the remainder of my days searching for the universe in which Patrick Stewart was cast as Tiberius instead of George Baker.

The 35th Anniversary edition is fantastic. The subtitles even work! A great improvement over the 5 disc DVD version.

The 35th Anniversary edition is fantastic. The subtitles even work! A great improvement over the 5 disc DVD version.

Thanks for the mini-review, I'm definitely going to order it. I'm so glad the thought of posting this last night led me to find out about its existence!

Great show! Mad old, but fantastic.

Caligula, lol! That scene where he shows his triumph over his brother Poseidon, mad chests if sand and shells, and all the generals and nobleman start praising Caeser on the spot. Lmao. That scene stuck with me.

Livia and Cersei is good

Joffery, the worst, is somehow not as bad as Caligula

Stannis is like Tiberius, enemy of brother, ass hole who kills nobles, Yet rules a hell of a realm

Tyrion is no Claudius. One acts smarter then he is, the other dumber. One hides his deformity the other flaunts it

Ps. My friends invented an a word

Caligular- something Caligula would do.

The way Jaime thinks of Cersei is quite Caligular

Pps. Much better book, obviously.

Yet what's not obvious is Hercules My Shipmate (Graves) is even better. The perfect amount of history and myth rolled into one

Tyrion is no Claudius. One acts smarter then he is, the other dumber. One hides his deformity the other flaunts it

Hmm... interesting opinion! First of all, a disclaimer... I have read neither book series, so I base my opinion solely on the television series :blush: But I have to assume you are saying that Tyrion acts smarter than he is, because Claudius certainly doesn't and I have to assume you are saying that Tyrion hides his deformity because Claudius certainly doesn't, but neither of those seem to be true about Tyrion to ME (by the way, I'm including his drunkenness in with being a dwarf), which is exactly why I consider them very similar characters, apparently for exactly the reasons you don't, oddly enough!

Tyrion does talk of his deformity alot, but he also rides into battle and sits on the throne, claudius shys from battle and smallfolk.

Tyrion may not act smarter then he is, because he's just that smart :D but he certainly never shuts up, claudius hardly speaks.

Mark Antony is Rhaegar? but that makes Dany Caligula :( nevermind lol.

Read the book! :) there are 2, but I only read the 1st

Tyrion does talk of his deformity alot, but he also rides into battle and sits on the throne, claudius shys from battle and smallfolk.

Tyrion may not act smarter then he is, because he's just that smart :D but he certainly never shuts up, claudius hardly speaks.

Mark Antony is Rhaegar? but that makes Dany Caligula :( nevermind lol.

Read the book! :) there are 2, but I only read the 1st

Well, as I see it Claudius is certainly the MASTER of hiding his intelligence behind his deformity, certainly beyond what is required of Tyrion. But Tyrion will also 'play the fool' at times, depending on the circumstances. Granted, there are many more who know that Tyrion is NOT a fool, but because of his position, he is a little more able to due this, whereas Caludius is intelligent enough to know that he largely must play the fool to survive (with very few rare exceptions). So BOTH Tyrion and Claudius are smart enough to act to less intelliegent that they are, because they must!

Tyrion sits on the throne... HEY, thanks for the spoiler, you twat! I haven't even finished watching Season 4 yet! :spank: ;) I already accidentally discovered that he 'pays his dept' by accident... being a fan and running behind ISN'T easy!

And I DO plan to read the book!

Wow... just stumbled across this info... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10096739/I-Claudius-what-HBO-can-learn-from-the-BBC-classic.html "It has been announced that US TV network HBO has commissioned a new adaptation of I, Claudius". The referenced link is from June 2013, but from what I can determine, this show is NOT "ROME" and is still a possibility...

(Although, and I have yet to mention this, Derek Jacobi IS Claudius as far as I am concerned, just as Jeremy Brett IS Sherlock Holmes, so it will be difficult!)

Like Got, because I, Claudius too is all talking heads all the time.

But I, Claudius was confined to studio and talking because It Was Different in those days without Big Budgets, color photography and, especially, CGI.

Well, as I see it Claudius is certainly the MASTER of hiding his intelligence behind his deformity, certainly beyond what is required of Tyrion. But Tyrion will also 'play the fool' at times, depending on the circumstances. Granted, there are many more who know that Tyrion is NOT a fool, but because of his position, he is a little more able to due this, whereas Caludius is intelligent enough to know that he largely must play the fool to survive (with very few rare exceptions). So BOTH Tyrion and Claudius are smart enough to act to less intelliegent that they are, because they must!

Tyrion sits on the throne... HEY, thanks for the spoiler, you twat! I haven't even finished watching Season 4 yet! :spank: ;) I already accidentally discovered that he 'pays his dept' by accident... being a fan and running behind ISN'T easy!

And I DO plan to read the book!

Sorry! But no spoiler, though everything I guess is a spoiler, it happens in S2. Or at least book 2. Sorry though.

Hbo I claudius sounds good

Sorry! But no spoiler, though everything I guess is a spoiler, it happens in S2. Or at least book 2. Sorry though.

Hbo I claudius sounds good

I guess that's not a spoiler then! Actually, I found what I thought you were saying pretty difficult to accept... :lol:

Archived