Which actor/actress portrays the most accurate depiction of their character?

The Man from Nowhere

Sophie Turner is doing  a great job.  She consistently manages to convey emotion despite having to keep Sansa's guarded expression . She's had a passive storyline with not much scope for making her mark but we can see her developing and gaining strength.  That's because when Turner has a decent line ('I am Sansa Stark of Winterfell...' or  'kill me now while there's still some of me left..') she hits it out of the park.

Maisie is great.  But I thought she was best as the fierce little wolf girl and I'm not sure if I like where her story is going - I don't want to lose Arya Stark to see her as No-one.

Jaime is such a nuanced character, brilliantly portrayed by Nikolaj. (I'm deliberately forgetting Season 5 which was so horribly written for him and Bronn).

Charles Dance was perfect as Tywin, Sean Bean was perfect as Ned. John Bradley is great as Samwell, very close to book Sam but with more charm. 

Welcome to the boards! :cheers:

Oh I'll also add Robert Baratheon, I just couldn't see past him being Fred flintstone or out of The Full Monty. I know he's just short and fat, couldn't really ever picture him as a great warrior

Well I thought he was very good in A Knight’s Tale, he did not remind me as FF.

Sophie Turner is doing  a great job.  She consistently manages to convey emotion despite having to keep Sansa's guarded expression .  She's had a passive storyline with not much scope for making her mark but we can see her developing and gaining strength.  That's because when Turner has a decent line ('I am Sansa Stark of Winterfell...' or  'kill me now while there's still some of me left..') she hits it out of the park. 

Maisie is great.  But I thought she was best as the fierce little wolf girl and I'm not sure if I like where her story is going - I don't want to lose Arya Stark to see her as No-one.

Jaime is such a nuanced character, brilliantly portrayed by Nikolaj. (I'm deliberately forgetting Season 5 which was so horribly written for him and Bronn).

Charles Dance was perfect as Tywin, Sean Bean was perfect as Ned. John Bradley is great as Samwell, very close to book Sam but with more charm. 

Why I really think her career could go far, esp. if she avoids the Lohan / Bynes issues.

Almost everything she does is mostly conveyed by body language, facial expressions and tone.

Why I really think her career could go far, esp. if she avoids the Lohan / Bynes issues.

Almost everything she does is mostly conveyed by body language, facial expressions and tone.

She's going to have Jennifer Lawrence's popularity, most definitely, but with more talent to back it up. X-Men will be her break-out role and she'll be in many blockbusters.

When I first heard the casting list for GOT (the unaired pilot) My reactions were

Sean Bean - of course, he's been getting ready to play that part his whole career.

Lena Heady - as slutty voluptuous Cersei? Would have made a better Catelyn

Jennifer Ehle - probably a decent Catelyn 

Peter Dinklage - omg, they are actually taking the source material seriously. It's like they waited until there was actually a midget that was a good actor and then and only then decided to make the show. 

So, yeah, Sean Bean most accurately portrays his book character. 

Sophie Turner is a good actress, though like a lot of child actors / actresses, it's just hard for me to envision her in other roles much different than the one she grow up on. Will be really interested to see how she does as Jean Grey in X-men next year, Famke Janssen was perfectly cast and will be a hard act to follow.

I think Emilia Clarke has the most range of any of the actors / actresses on the show. When you see her in interviews you see how different her personality is than Dany's and you can see her playing softer / sweeter female characters as well as hardened / tougher ones.

Honestly it would be far easier to name actors and actresses that didn't give a fantastic performance.

I would say 99% of the actors and actresses have been spot on.

Two actor/actresses that have given great performances but have diverged from their book characters a lot, would be

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion and Lena Headey as Cersei. I wouldn't say its their fault they were probably told by D&D to seperate their characters from their book counterparts.

In the first few seasons both were great and accurate but Tyrion never really got as bitter and dark in the show as his book counterpart. And Cersei acts like a misguided fool that is trying to protect her family rather than someone who is insane and is so paranoid and delusional that she is destroying her family. Cersei came off as a victim last season rather than recieving part of her just deserts.

I wouldn't say its their fault or that it has any bearing on their acting ability but they certainly are not the mose accurate depiction of their book characters.

I don't see what problem people have with Maise can someone explain to me specific reasons they don't like her performance?

EDIT:

Oh and Show Ramsay is completely different from book Ramsay. In one sense I prefer show Ramsay to the brutish book Ramsay but Show Ramsay is just too competent. I wonder if show Ramsay was raised in a castle in the show otherwise I don't understand how he is such a competent fighter and strategist.

I think Emilia Clarke has the most range of any of the actors / actresses on the show. When you see her in interviews you see how different her personality is than Dany's and you can see her playing softer / sweeter female characters as well as hardened / tougher ones.

For me her range is cringe worthy to bad

She was really good in season 1, and she nailed the Dracarys scene. But for the past 2 seasons she's been annoying to the point that I really wouldn't care if she got killed off.

To be fair she can be pretty annoying in the books as well. Just get the hell out of Mereen and arrive in Westeros already! I also hear Roy Doultrice's Daenarys duck voice when I read her POV. I love the audiobooks but seriously Roy's Dany voice is like nails on a chalkboard!

I hear people rip on Emilia a lot by people who've read the books. What is the problem with her? How should she play Dany differently?

The problem a lot of people have with Dany is that she says everything in this deadpan, monotone, I guess you could say Queenly voice. It gets dull after a while. We rarely get to see any emotion out of Dany any more.

Emilia nailed it in season 1 when Dany was a softer, more vulnerable character but I don't really buy her as a stone cold badass. 

I hear people rip on Emilia a lot by people who've read the books. What is the problem with her? How should she play Dany differently?

More emotion, basically. Daenerys in the books is very driven by her emotions - which can be both a positive thing (e.g. Heartwarming sisterly/motherly scenes with Missandei, bathing and feeding the plague victims) and a negative thing (The 163, Question his daughters sharply etc.). In the show, whether it's just her acting, or the way she is directed to do these scenes, that emotional element is missing. The times when she does show emotion though (e.g. Chainin the dragons in 410) she does very well at it. She also does her dramatic "badass" scenes like "Dracarys" very well too. So I don't know, either she is a very hit-and-miss actress, or the directing with her is hit-and-miss. Or both, I suppose. But that is what I feel is wrong with her performance anyway. She can be really good, but she can also deliver some poor performances too.
Agree with he consensus that she was great in Season 1 though.

Daenerys in the books obviously has her inner dialogue helping to flesh out her personality. In the tv show the character reacts to situations rather than establish them she receives cues to situations rather than delivers them thus making Emilia's work thankless. Like Jim Caviezel in Person Of Interest, his role is thankless. Stuff happens she reacts. For an an actor it can be boring work. Like a defender in football (soccer for you crazy people) where all the action is going on down the other side of the pitch and you just wait and wait for your big moment which doesn't come that often because all the action is going on down the other side of the pitch. (Westeros) But when it does come...... "Dracarys."

Emilia for what she has to work with is just fine.

Maybe next season she'll get to push the story rather than receive it, what little of it occurs in the Dothraki sea. But I fear the the non book audience will grow frustrated at non Westeros story arcs, like they did Dorne. Personally can't stand the Dothraki. I must know what's happening in the north asap.

I don't see what problem people have with Maise can someone explain to me specific reasons they don't like her performance?

Well, since you asked, I'll answer.

I think she's phoned it in since season 2. She was only acceptable in season 1 because she was a young child and not much could be expected of her. But now she gives dull delivery of her lines and awkwardly tries to emote. It's like watching a robot attempt to act.

Also, she looks nothing like the character is supposed to look. Arya is said to resemble Lyanna, who was a very beautiful woman. Maisie's Arya does not fit that image. Also, she looks too old to be Arya's age.

Well, since you asked, I'll answer.

I think she's phoned it in since season 2. She was only acceptable in season 1 because she was a young child and not much could be expected of her. But now she gives dull delivery of her lines and awkwardly tries to emote. It's like watching a robot attempt to act.

Also, she looks nothing like the character is supposed to look. Arya is said to resemble Lyanna, who was a very beautiful woman. Maisie's Arya does not fit that image. Also, she looks too old to be Arya's age.

One thing to not like her as Arya, but how could you possibly get the impression that she isn't trying?

Archived