Buzzfeed's Laughable List of the 51 "Best" Fantasy Series

Jerol

Brooks, Goodkind, and Paolini are ranked ahead of Bakker, Donaldson, and Peake.

To be fair, I had just read their top 10 when posting.

Yup, half the list is meh or just "nope" from me. But then I wouldn't even begin a "top 50" list, that's too big.

And they should've stopped embarrassing themselves and said it was a "best ever" - Narnia, LOTR and Gormenghast are all1940/50s series, so more than 50 years old. Heck, as weird as it seems, Dune is now more than 50 years old.

You're talking about it, therefore Buzzfeed succeeded. I would they roughly ranked things in order of total sales, but they didn't include Dresden files.

I'm wondering if archiving articles from that kind of clickbaity sites shouldn't be mandatory behaviour when posting them on forums - assuming said forums' rules are ok with it.

Lists like this, you expect to be a representation of the opinions of the masses.  It could be worse.

I still can't fathom why Rothfuss is as popular with the masses as he is, but whatever.  

The biggest surprise is no Dresden Files.  I'm going to assume that they just forgot since it's urban fantasy.

It's a pretty sloppy construct. Are we talking fifty years, or of all time? If it's based on sales, then Tolkien and Rowling should be ahead of Rothfuss. They have absolutely no clue about what's going on in the SFF community, otherwise they'd know Goodkind is considered laughable or that MZ Bradley is now shunned from any consideration. If it's a list for all time, where's Fritz Leiber? Jack Vance? 

Jerol - as much as I dislike Goodkind what SFF community are you referring to?

Among SFF readers - the ones who don't frequent boards such as this (which would easily make up the majority) Goodkind is a best selling author. In fact most of his SoT novels were best sellers.

Now I hate Goodkind but this whole "SFF community" seems like bullshit. The guy is a moron who writes trash but that trash sells and is therefore very popular.

*Off to jump off a cliff after arguing Goodkind is popular....

Surely that means it should be on this list then.

ooh, meeow :p

Yeah, it's easily the second most popular current fantasy series after ASoIaF

Hmm, interesting. I was being serious when I said I hadn't realised btw, I wasn't trying to suggest it wasn't popular.

It is curious to me that such a list only lists books written in English and does not even mention "these are XY best fantasy series in English". It is like it does not even occur to people that literature in other languages exists. :huh:

Jerol - as much as I dislike Goodkind what SFF community are you referring to?

Among SFF readers - the ones who don't frequent boards such as this (which would easily make up the majority) Goodkind is a best selling author. In fact most of his SoT novels were best sellers.

Now I hate Goodkind but this whole "SFF community" seems like bullshit. The guy is a moron who writes trash but that trash sells and is therefore very popular.

*Off to jump off a cliff after arguing Goodkind is popular....

Oh yeah, I get your point. And yes I am referring to SFF boards such as this one. Among the masses he is a best-selling author. Then again, so is Dan Brown. (going off to bleach my fingers for typing both of those names)

Archived