Pronouncing the names of the characters?

Felguy

I've heard so many people pronounce Jeor as Jee-or, which doesn't make much sense to me. J and G can sound the same, and you wouldn't pronounce George Jee-or-j, right? I pronounce it just like George without the final -ge. That's just me though.

I think we are supposed to use the pronounciations in the show. Because the author gave them guidance

I refuse to pronounce Aegon, Eggon so the show can shove that one up their arses.

Damphair is the killer..

It's just Damp-Hair.

The only problem I have with names is Jaime. Jaime is a Spanish name, a common one. My own name is Jaime. And it's pronounced completely different in Spanish.

I know an English guy who's name is spelt Jaime and pronounced Jamie.

Aerys is like the God Ares.

I've heard so many people pronounce Jeor as Jee-or, which doesn't make much sense to me. J and G can sound the same, and you wouldn't pronounce George Jee-or-j, right? I pronounce it just like George without the final -ge. That's just me though.

To me Jeor pronounced Jor is like forgetting to finish pronouncing George. I keep waiting for the ending.

So I say Jee-or.

I will never accept the show pronunciation of Tysha and Margaery. I've always pronounced Tysha with "y" as in Tyrion, not as in Tywin (Ta-i-sha). She said "Tyrion and Tysha, Tysha and Tyrion, our names go together". That doesn't work at all if you pronunce it as Dinklage did!

I pronunce Margaery as Margery with "g" as in Margaret. I hate the "Marjory" pronunciation they do on the show. For one thing, it sounds terrible. Like Marge Simpson. "Queen Marjory", why not Queen Kelly or Queen Tiffany while you're at it? Second, since when is "g" in front of "a" pronounced as "j"?! Which language is there where it can be read like that? Ugh

I never listened to the audio books, but they play Roy Dotrice saying the name of the POV characters in book episodes of Podcast Winterfell, and when he says Pee-TYRE or Bra-YEENE... ugh just no, no, no!

id even be happy with bra-yeene, he typically pronounces it "Brian" 

A lot of these names could logically be pronounced a number of ways (in particularly those of Valyrian origin).  What I cannot stand though, is the tendency to pronounce every Y as "eye," (TIE-rion, Pet-TYRE, TIE-rell, etc.) regardless of its placement in a word.  It also seems to always become the stressed syllable in the name for some reason.  It just grates on my ears.  It brings to mind an exaggerated southern accent, something with which I am sadly, well acquainted, being from Florida and having relatives in the Western parts of North Carolina and Virginia.  I love a drawl, but I can't stand a twang. 

The BRY-eene part is exactly what I mean :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG_bQJHapSU

3:01:22 to be exact

I couldn't endure more than two minutes of that, with that terrible voice of the old lady in Sansa's chapter. That's why I usually don't listen to audiobooks - and if I do, definitely not to ASOAIF audiobooks!

I couldn't endure more than two minutes of that, with that terrible voice of the old lady in Sansa's chapter. That's why I usually don't listen to audiobooks - and if I do, definitely not to ASOAIF audiobooks!

I like  it. Easily fall asleep to it. :P

Gendry - Jendry
Ramsey - Ramsie
Rickon - Rickun
Catelyn - Caitlin
Ygritte - my cousins call her Ingrid
Aegon - thought it was Aygon instead of Eggon.
Lysa - thought it was Lisa
Loras - I pronounce it LorAss
Margaery - Margarerie
Arya - ArYA.
Sansa - it's pronounced Sarnsa. I say Sanssa. Pronoucning the 's more.
Missandei - Missanday

I don't bother trying to name any character that Dany encounters.

My only issues are with 'Ah-Ree-Ya' as opposed to just Ar-Ya. I always thought if it were the former, it'd be spelt Aria. Maisie Williams seems to stick with Ar-Ya, but in an American accent they sound almost the same so it's hard to say which GRRM goes for.

The show bugs the shit out of me for pronunciations. Both versions of Arya are present within the Stark family for gods sake, nobody can decide on the three variations of Tyrell. I seem to remember somebody saying meister once instead of maester. Show schmoe for pronunciations.

Damp-hair though, not Damfair. I recall the interview where GRRM said he didn't care about pronunciations, Damfair was pointed out to him and he said 'oh no, that's definitely Damp-hair. I should have put a hyphen in.'

Archived