Daenerys - Jhaqo confrontation

Clegane'sPup

I had been trying to figure out how to phrase my question so I took almost verbatim from the wiki the following info which is based in ADWD:

Daenerys is thousands of leagues away from Meeren with Drogon at a hill, in the Dorthraki Sea, which she names Dragonstone. They are eventually found by Khal Jhaqo and half a hundred of his Khalasar.

Daenerys is not on Jhaqo’s friend list. Are Jhaqo and his Dorthraki going to yield to Daenerys? Does Dany have enough control over Drogon to overtake Jhaqo’s men and go on to claim Jhaqo’s Khalasar? Could 50 Dorthaki horsemen with arakhs, bows and whips put an end to Drogon?  The reason I am asking is because of the following quote:

"I swore no harm would come to Yunkai if they released their slaves," said Dany.

"These Yunkish dogs cannot be trusted, Your Worship. Even now they plot against you. New levies have been raised and can be seen drilling outside the city walls, warships are being built, envoys have been sent to New Ghis and Volantis in the west, to make alliances and hire sellswords. They have even dispatched riders to Vaes Dothrak to bring a khalasar down upon you.   

ASOS Daenerys VI

I think that Drogon will burn/kill enough of them (including Jhogo) that the rest will eventually surrender. Thing is drogon doesn't have to kill ALL of them, just enough to prove that he and Dany should be top dog.

That said, the show leaves it looking the other way (like Dany will be taken first). So I dunno.

According to the fundamental beliefs of the Dothraki, Dany's place is with the dosh khaleen in Vaes Dothrak. IIRC, it was Pono who insisted on this, and Jhaqo may well think Dany isn't worthy of that privilege. But Jhaqo also knows that it's the last thing in the world Dany wanted, and that she saw it a punishment. Which may make him pretty happy to insist on the tradition.

If so, Dany may surprise him by sending Drogon away and not resisting. If she waits to get to Vaes Dothrak before calling in Drogon and proclaiming him the true Stallion Who Will Mount the World, she has the potential to raise the entire Dothraki people in a massive khalasar of khalasars. A lot cooler than just claiming his khalasar.

(The show would then just be simplifying things so viewers don't have to remember Dothraki traditions and politics that they haven't heard about for four years, or understand Dany's thoughts in sending Drogon away, but things end up the same anyway.)

If she just wants to fight Jhaqo, I don't think it'll be to claim his khalasar. Remember that she swore an oath to brutally punish Jhaqo and Mago shortly after they left. I don't think she's going to forget that.

And if she doesn't want to raise an army or to punish Jhaqo, she might as well just hop on Drogon and fly away.

Oh yes, they will recieve the dragon's mercy indeed, as falcotron mentioned. Here is the quote from AGOT

“Khaleesi, “ the handmaid Irri explained, as if to a child, “Jhaqo is a khal now, with twenty thousand riders at his back.”

She lifted her head. “And I am Daenerys Stormhorn, Daenerys of House Targaryen, of the blood of Aegon the Conqueror and Maegor the Cruel and old Valyria before them. I am the dragon’s daughter, and I swear to you, these men will die screaming."

I believe she will make good on this because she always thinks back on the girl, Eroeh, so she has not forgotten what they had done. The way she declares it gives me gooseflesh

Oh yes, they will recieve the dragon's mercy indeed, as falcotron mentioned. Here is the quote from AGOT

I was thinking of this line:

It was a cruel fate, yet not so cruel as Mago's will be. I promise you that, by the old gods and the new, by the lamb god and the horse god and every god that lives. I swear by the Mother of Mountains and the Womb of the World. Before I am done with them, Mago and Ko Jhaqo will plead for the mercy they showed Eroeh.

Either one gets the idea across, but this is a hell of an oath; she's made sure that if she, say, gives them a quick but glorious death in battle against a dragon, she's just offended every god in the world.

PS:

Daenerys is not on Jhaqo’s friend list.

Actually, I imagine Jhaqo being not very good with technology and not knowing how to take Dany off his friend list, and she keeps trolling him by sending pictures of herself as a Queen with a fanatical army of Unsullied behind her with status messages like "not dead, ruling more people than Jhaqo". :)

If you reread that last chapter of Dany, you will realize that all the clues are hidden there about the immediate future of Dany. When Jhaqo came, the sun was about to set. It was said in that chapter that Drogon returned to his home every evening. The Dothraki are religious people. By right, Dany should have been taken to Vaes Dothrak to join the dosh khaleen, something Dany herself thinks in that chapter. What is also likely is that Dany must be judged by the dosh khaleen for practicing blood magic. No khal can dare meddle with the affairs of dosh khaleen.

There is also no point of making a cliffhanger like this if the immediate future will not be quite different than what the readers are led to believe. In addition, George does not raise his characters high before having them hit lows. Davos had to be imprisoned before George raised him to be the Hand. Dany will get a strong following among the Dothraki but she must hit a bottom to rise so high.

PS:
Actually, I imagine Jhaqo being not very good with technology and not knowing how to take Dany off his friend list, and she keeps trolling him by sending pictures of herself as a Queen with a fanatical army of Unsullied behind her with status messages like "not dead, ruling more people than Jhaqo". :)

Hahahaha :D she has more followers, that for sure. He'll probably try to post some supercute kitten videos on Essostoube.

If you reread that last chapter of Dany, you will realize that all the clues are hidden there about the immediate future of Dany. When Jhaqo came, the sun was about to set. It was said in that chapter that Drogon returned to his home every evening. The Dothraki are religious people. By right, Dany should have been taken to Vaes Dothrak to join the dosh khaleen, something Dany herself thinks in that chapter. What is also likely is that Dany must be judged by the dosh khaleen for practicing blood magic. No khal can dare meddle with the affairs of dosh khaleen.

There is also no point of making a cliffhanger like this if the immediate future will not be quite different than what the readers are led to believe. In addition, George does not raise his characters high before having them hit lows. Davos had to be imprisoned before George raised him to be the Hand. Dany will get a strong following among the Dothraki but she must hit a bottom to rise so high.

This could happen. I think the first Dany chapter in TWOW will start in Vaes Dothrak with intermittent flashbacks of how Dany gets captured by Jhaqo.

PS:

:rofl:  I am so glad I had already finished my coffee before I read this. :thumbsup:

I’m thinking that she has to get back to Meereen and her followers and her army somehow. If she takes over Jhaqo’s khalasar she rides in triumphant.

Victarian’s fleet has arrived at Meereen during her absence. If she builds an alliance with him she has enlarged her forces and would now have access to his ships to sail her army back to Westeros and Dragonstone.

If Martin wants to kill Daenerys off what better way to do it than having her and Drogon face off with Jhaqo. A dragon on the ground is a sitting duck so to speak.

If as suggested she is taken to Vaes Dothrak isn’t that is going to drag the story out further.

With the possibility of a book release next year I have been re-reading the entire saga. I just finished AFFC a few days ago and am taking a break before getting into ADWD.

I had not paid close attention to Daenerys story line prior to this so there are a lot of forgotten and missed details awaiting me in ADWD.

My intention for the OP was so I could read other posters thoughts and ideas about how this is going to play out. I mean at this point there is no right or wrong answers.

Killing off Dany at this point would be even more ridiculous than Jon being permanently dead, IMO. Not gonna happen.

As for going to Vaeys Dothrak, while I agree it will be dragging the story out to some extent, since you said you hadn't paid much attention to Danys story prior to this point, you should read her chapter at the House of the Undying again. They give her a prophecy that all the crones will bow to her at the mother of mountains. Since it hasn't happened yet, most people think this will occur in twow. Seems likely she has more to do with the Dothraki than simply taking over one small Khalasaarz

If as suggested she is taken to Vaes Dothrak isn’t that is going to drag the story out further.

Except that exactly what George said to happen. He said that Dany will spend a lot of time with the Dothraki and meet Tyrion maybe in mid TWoW.

Killing off Dany at this point would be even more ridiculous than Jon being permanently dead, IMO. Not gonna happen.

As for going to Vaeys Dothrak, while I agree it will be dragging the story out to some extent, since you said you hadn't paid much attention to Danys story prior to this point, you should read her chapter at the House of the Undying again. They give her a prophecy that all the crones will bow to her at the mother of mountains. Since it hasn't happened yet, most people think this will occur in twow. Seems likely she has more to do with the Dothraki than simply taking over one small Khalasaarz

Sometimes I do not explain myself clearly or concisely. Earlier this year I started re-reading the books from the beginning to the end, starting with AGOT, ACOK, ASOS, AFFC page by page, chapter by chapter. Before I started re-reading the books (again) earlier this, I had not paid close attention to  Dany's story line because I had not been interested in her story line.

So, this time through the books I have been paying closer attention to Dany's story line. I am going to start re-reading ADWD soon and I am sure that I will find much and more that I missed or forgot when I read ADWD the previous times.

I do agree that Daenerys IV in ACOK was one of her more interesting chapters and I agree that killing her off is not going to happen. Although if Martin wanted to he surely could and would. :wideeyed:

She did hit rock bottom in her last chapter. And in that chapter she rose pretty damn high.
Plus I don't think Drogon would abandon dany. In her last chapter, he kept checking up in her when she was trying to walk back to Meereen.
Drogon-mummy's-boy wouldn't abandon his mother in a dire situation.

Archived