progress?

Young Lion,

Well, we'll certainly be linking to Amazon.com for the book, but no, I don't think we'll have a direct ordering method available at this time.

Lord o' Bones,

No. Easteros is where the Easter Bunny lives.

I'm not sure it's wise to give thousands of fanboys the power to summon George and ask him inane questions in the middle of the night. ("George, if Jaime still had his arm, and Brienne was some kind of cyborg, and they were fighting... do the Bears still win?")

I think pictures/layout of castles would be more interesting then a few extra geographical maps (of course if both can be included all the better). For example the map of the Iron Isles in FFC was really quite duh, but if we had a map of Castlery Rock or some other castle that would have been a major woah!!

Of course it may be harder work to draw but will we have thorough descriptions at least?

Well, you'll have excellent paintings of many important castles. There may be some extra descriptive material as well, I don't know about that yet (that's a section that will have to wait for George).

Well, you'll have excellent paintings of many important castles. There may be some extra descriptive material as well, I don't know about that yet (that's a section that will have to wait for George).

..and paintings are better than layouts, at least in my opinion. If you search the net for castle maps/layouts, you'll find a lot of locations to look at. Just imagine they are Westerosi fortresses :)

A few more questions/partial suggestions:

1) Will you show the coinage used in Westeros? A tip could be to show the coins that were produced some years ago, I don't remember the company's name right now, but I do have the coins allright

Edit: http://www.shirepost.com/ of course

2) Bah forgot the rest. lol

The eastern continent, so far as I know, will still be named -- I've got the name down in a couple of sections of the history -- but don't expect anyone to explain why it hasn't been used until now. My gut feeling is that Westeros is synonymous with a relatively cohesive, nigh-continent spanning culture, so it makes sense the people mention it a lot ... but the eastern continent (hoped I'd let it slip, eh? ;) is a lot more fractured culturally speaking and there's really no point to naming the whole continent -- it doesn't convey anything more than "across the Narrow Sea" or "the Free Cities" does.

Just my guess as to what a "in world" explaination would be, though.

I suppose another answer would be if one culture we hadn't encountered much came up with the name. For example, if Valyria or Lhazar had a name for the eastern continent it may not have travelled into common usage elsewhere, but a particularly triva-minded maester in Westeros might know about it. Perhaps a bit like the way that a citizen of the Roman Empire may have heard of Asia or Africa but a Gaulish tribesman probably won't have.

Good news on the regional maps though. Is there a plan for a big 'world map' (or at least a map of the known world) or just lots of regional ones?

My recollection -- I'd have to dig through e-mails -- is that there won't be a Map of Ye Known Worlde, but there will be regional maps, including three or four for the East, that when combined by imaginative fans will doubtless serve quite well for that purpose. :)

I'm gonna repeat my question, will you have something on the coinage of Westeros? Groats, halfpennies, dragons etc. with pictures?

Gonna throw in a second question:

Will there be new artwork depicting scenes from the series (as an example, in the A Game of Thrones Role-playing Game, there is art depicting the tourney for the Hand, the tower of joy etc.) or will all the pieces be depictions of the topic at hand (like the AWESOME locations by Ted Nasmith - I have fallen in love with his version of Dragonstone, and now I can't imagine it any other way. Really grew on me).

thnx

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I'll add that a map of Casterly Rock looks to me like it'd take a whole book of its own...

Just sayin'. ;)

So.... The next book you will be working on is Castles of Ice and Fire? :)

Actually, that gets me even more excited than World of Ice and Fire... Being the castle nerd that I am.

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I was wondering if there was any new information about the progress of the book? I've just recently started A Song of Ice and Fire series and something like this would be most helpful. Also, will it list all the magic in the series so far? The reason I ask is that I am currently reading A Clash of Kings and during one of Tyrion's POVs it mentions such things as Sweetsleep, Nightshade, Demon's Dance, Blindeye, etc which, of course, sound very intriguing to me and I want to know what they are! Of course, there is the possibility they are mentioned more in the 3rd and 4th books that I have not read yet, hm? Just curious.

It's still something that won't be done until George is done with DANCE. We tweak and work on bits and bobs that we can fiddle with. I expect the first draft will be completed and to the editor within 2-3 months of GRRM being done and turning his attention to it.

I don't think we'll have much herbal information in there, but possibly there'll be a little new information as a sidebar to material on the Citadel. :)

Archived