TGS Chapter 1 available

lordofavalon

Don't know about the other books in the series, but this sample chapter is unreadable. A waste of 5 minutes. The first half is probably the longest and dullest description I've ever read. The rest isn't much better.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that, but it isn't Jordan. Besides, I hate reading my books onscreen.

Don't know about the other books in the series, but this sample chapter is unreadable. A waste of 5 minutes. The first half is probably the longest and dullest description I've ever read. The rest isn't much better.

If you have'nt read the rest of the books, of course this chapter is going to be boring for you.

Personally I loved it, the voice of Rand was good, and the hints about Moiraine, Ituralde, Aviendah, Asmodean, Graendal, and the "Strike at Shayol Ghul" were great.

I also got the feeling that things are finally coming together, at least in Rands own head.

The first chapter is always really description heavy with that wind, and the whole setting the scene, but once it got to Rand, it was pretty awesome. It certainly makes me want to read the next chapter.

The most exciting part might be:

4.And that’s not all — Each of the WoT eBooks mentioned above (not the TGS prologue) will include new “cover art†by different professional artists. Tor is commissioning a different artist for each book, so you’ll see brand new art for each one of the books in the series. Here are the details for the artists of the first four books:

Anything other than Sweet will be nice.

The sad thing is, for the first time the narrator of the book seems distinct from the setting and the story, an observer, who uses words like workaday, metaphor, painting, artist, etc. He sees the need to say "Rebel Amyrlin Seat, Egwene al'Vere" when trying to capture the thoughts of the Rebel Aes Sedai, which is silly, since they would refer to her as Egwene al'Vere or the Amyrlin.

The story structure is like RJ's, the events in the chapter have RJ's signature, but the voice of the narrator is horribly off.

Worse, Rand just doesn't think like the Rand I know, except at some parts in between. Maybe that was RJ's writing, maybe Brandon was able to do well only in some parts. But Rand explains too much, thinks of things too differently.

But Brandon did say he was explaining too much in the initial chapters, so maybe this'll stop.

Story is still great though!

The sad thing is, for the first time the narrator of the book seems distinct from the setting and the story, an observer, who uses words like workaday, metaphor, painting, artist, etc. He sees the need to say "Rebel Amyrlin Seat, Egwene al'Vere" when trying to capture the thoughts of the Rebel Aes Sedai, which is silly, since they would refer to her as Egwene al'Vere or the Amyrlin.

Yes, but that observation is from the omniscient. objective perspective of the metaphorical wind (which blows without a beginning or an end, yadda yadda), not one of the rebel sisters.

Only later do we settle into the POV of Rand, which was, sad to say, pretty much the Rand we've come to love and hate.

Worse, Rand just doesn't think like the Rand I know, except at some parts in between. Maybe that was RJ's writing, maybe Brandon was able to do well only in some parts. But Rand explains too much, thinks of things too differently.

I would disagree.

Personally, I thought it was par for the course for WoT. I would think that people that like WoT will like this, people who don't like WoT will continue to not like it. There was too much description of clothing. There was braid tugging. Rand was still an irrational fool. Very Robert Jordanish.

I'm not sure where the complaints are coming from.

RJ's openings with the wind are such a ... well, almost iconic thing, that there's simply no way Sanderson could pull it off. And in my opinion, he didn't. As someone else said, it felt almost like a book report or rather lame travelogue, bouncing here and there. I know he's not trying to mimic RJ's voice, but when you have that opener, you're setting yourself up for it. Nothing much he can do about it, I guess.

I suppose it improves in the second half, with Rand, as others say. Rand sounds Rand-like to me, and Nynaeve and Cadsuane sound like their respective characters as well.

Yes, but that observation is from the omniscient. objective perspective of the metaphorical wind (which blows without a beginning or an end, yadda yadda), not one of the rebel sisters.

The thing is, I've never heard of Egwene being described as the Rebel Amyrlin Seat. And in KoD, when the same wind passes through the same Rebel camp, it was "the Amyrlin" who was captive or dead. Not the "rebel" Amyrlin.

Its a small thing though, which I pointed out because it reminded me quite forcefully that this wasn't RJ at work. But I still liked the chapter. Still loved the set up for the up coming conflict between Egwene and Rand. Loved the parallels that are silently drawn between Egwene and Latra Pose. It was a nice chapter.

Only later do we settle into the POV of Rand, which was, sad to say, pretty much the Rand we've come to love and hate.

Never hated Rand. But many of his thoughts/statements were too brusque, too direct, to feel like Rand. Rand would never say "This cannot be ï¬xed, and so I move on." He'd have a different way of saying it. More metaphorical, less direct.

When Rand discusses his needs, the need for his army to be strong... all of it seems off. Its not the way Rand thinks. It is too clinical, more like someone reporting what Rand is thinking than Rand himself thinking.

But all these are minor nitpicks. I'm still glad to know, finally, that the story will have the hallmarks of RJ.

I think that Rand does do a lot of explaining in this chapter, but I feel it might be for the benefit of those who haven't read a Wheel of Time book in the past four years and don't follow this as closely as we do. For example, BS takes great care to mention every country in Randland and their current political status, as if reminding us that the Borderlands are missing their leaders, or that Darlin was just named king of Tear.

The prose is a little off, but none of the characters in this chapter (that is, Rand, Nynaeve or Cadsuane) say or do anything that feels different. Even if the prose and dialogue is a little different, it felt that BS had gotten the characters right so far.

Also, I'm just excited to see Rand back in a major plotline after two books of him not doing much.

One thing bothered me. From the TGS prologue:

He’d never . . . never tried speaking to Lews Therin out loud where others could hear.

But I was rereading Crown of Swords last night, and here's a quote from Chapter Two of that books:

"One hundred and fifty-one, Perrin. One hundred and fifty-one Maidens died today. For me. I promised them, you see. Don't argue with me! Shut up! Go away!" Despite his sweat, Rand shivered. "Not you, Perrin; not you. I have to keep my promises, you see..."

The context makes it pretty clear that he is yelling at Lews Therin in front of Perrin.

I suppose this could be explained as Rand having a faulty memory, but it seems like BS made a mistake.

I'd say it's Rand not remembering off the top of his head or not thinking of that situation that way.

I'd agree with fionwe1987 though. It's not bad, but it's definitely Sanderson, not RJ. The style and such is different.

Archived