Leigh Butler First time reader

Whitering

I don't know how many of you were involved in the old newsgroup regarding the Wheel of Time, but Leigh was a big contributor in the latter stages of that group and maintained the Wheel of Time FAQ for quite a while.

Anyway, she is doing a reading of Ice and Fire on TOR.com Ice and Fire recap

She's an intelligent and fun writer who has gained a decent following because she is simultaneously doing a reread of the Wheel of Time, also on TOR.com.

Give it a gander, don't post spoilers in the comments there, as this is Leigh's first time through the books and she hasn't been spoiled at all.

It is going to take that woman years to read the series at that rate. Most blog like reads of the series like that tend to burn out before they finish ACOK. I will be happy to be wrong but I think I will wait and see if she is still going strong at the beginning of book 3 before getting too invested.

It is going to take that woman years to read the series at that rate. Most blog like reads of the series like that tend to burn out before they finish ACOK. I will be happy to be wrong but I think I will wait and see if she is still going strong at the beginning of book 3 before getting too invested.

She has done a much more in depth recap of the Wheel of Time, longer quotes, longer commentary, for a couple of years so far. I do imagine that she will continue. Keep in mind, it's probably 5 more years before Winds of Winter and likely 10 years before the series ends. I think she will probably catch up and be as annoyed as the rest of us before Winds comes out.

Yeah, I enjoyed it. Lots of unintentionally funny things in her commentary. I like her writing, it's got a lot a voice, and is readable despite being loose and casual.

Her views about the role of women in (fantasy) literature seem to be simplifying things a tad, but I agree with them for the most part. I don't agree with her opinion that Jaime did what he did for ambition. Even when I was reading the book for the first time, it seemed more about survival.

Other than that, this project is streets ahead, and I look forward to reading her thoughts in the future, especially as she seems consistent about this sort of thing.

Totally enjoyed that, thanks! She's got some great insight--that the identity of Jon's mother Is Important. And, 'Jon Arryn died of a fever, my ass!' And the 'dragon eggs are stone, my ass!' LOL, I especially enjoyed her mild response to Jaime's 'the things I do for love.' :laugh:

'A fucking incestuous murdering ASSHOLE BASTARD of a fictional character who deserves to have his fictional nuts torn off and fed to the fictional crows instead of (fictional) corn. WHILE HE WATCHES. FICTIONALLY.'

Can't wait for more, keep at it, Leigh! :read:

She's never going to finish this. ASOIAF is not written to be read at that kind of pace where you read 1 or 2 chapters a week and write about it, it's meant to be enjoyed at a faster rate than that, people who read it this way never end up finishing, they either give up on the project and just start reading without writing or they stop altogether. Because the books weren't meant to be enjoyed this way. That's why every one who has attempted this has failed.

Note I am not talking about people who stop for a one or two sentence comment on a chapter and move on. That's normal. I'm talking about people who write these elaborate chapter analysis after each chapter so they can only read 1 or 2 a week.

Imagine you were watching the Lord of Rings movie trilogy but you watch them in weekly 15 minute segments and write about your reactions, so it takes your 8 to 9 month to finish the movies. Do you really think you would have enjoyed the experience of those movies as much as if you watched them as they were meant to be watched?

Most of the time they've already read the book and are just pretending it is their first time, making up humorous and often correct 'observations' as they go along. Very rarely are these snails pace read-a-long blogs anything but farce. In the least, they read far ahead and make the entries later on.

She has done a much more in depth recap of the Wheel of Time, longer quotes, longer commentary, for a couple of years so far. I do imagine that she will continue. Keep in mind, it's probably 5 more years before Winds of Winter and likely 10 years before the series ends. I think she will probably catch up and be as annoyed as the rest of us before Winds comes out.

As I said if she gets to Storm of Swords I will go start following her. So if she gets that far good for her.

I am not really annoyed at how long he is taking to write the series anymore. The past six years has trained me well. :P

Well thanks guys for throwing negativity into a thread for no reason!

You could just keep comments about her never finishing and stuff like that to yourselves but, of course, this is the internet!

I enjoy the recaps, so have some of the others. It was more of an informational post than a debate on it the merits of the undertaking, but have fun slagging it.

AGoT is 73 chapters, at the current rate she won't be finished before the end of the year.

ACoK will take a further nine months, ASoS virtually a year, AFfC six months - by which time hopefully TWoW might be out and if she presses on with DwD and that she may catch up to George himself.

Most of the time they've already read the book and are just pretending it is their first time, making up humorous and often correct 'observations' as they go along. Very rarely are these snails pace read-a-long blogs anything but farce. In the least, they read far ahead and make the entries later on.

Took the wind right out of my sails. :(

• 11 months later...

Thread resurrection time. Something definitely worth reading, and I wonder if this thread could maybe be moved to the Still reading sub-forum. Nothing like sharing a journey of discovery with someone who's written what you're feeling, or who has written the complete opposite of what you're feeling.

Leigh is brilliant. I think I am in interweb love. Then again I'm liable to fall for any woman with a great sense of humour, a good turn of phrase and a love of good fantasy. What else does a man need?

Totally platonic of course.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived