May 2011 Reading Thread

palin99999

I finished Blood Rites by Jim Butcher a couple of days ago, and I really enjoyed. I think this will be the year that I finally get caught up on the series. I do wish Harry would learn the proper use of whom versus who though... so annoying.

Before that was Daniel Abraham's The Dragon's Path which I thought was absolutely wonderful.

I'm now about 8% through The Wise Man's Fear by Rothfuss.

Ah, glad to see the % thing catching on. I'm about 70% done with Valente's Deathless, which is readable and enjoyable, but ultimately I think this kind of semi-surreal fairy tale retelling type thing isn't quite my cup of tea. I keep waiting for, well, the plot to begin, and real characters to show up and so on, and i'm belatedly realizing this is the plot. It helps that it's shortish, and that i'm interested in the main character though.

I've also been reading, for a value of reading that means 'skimming between sex scenes' a couple of bodice ripper type romance novels ('Beyond the Highland Mist', which has our heroine time travelling to 16th c Scotland, and the most risible alpha-male hero i've ever read, and 'Love Slave to the Sheikh', which despite the preposterous title is actually set in Australia and includes one tame mention of utterly vanilla bondage.) For the sake of research into my increasingly involved 'Highland Sheikh' parody. I need to find a book with an actual Sheikh with actual harem girls - the romance novel 'sheikh' category seems to feature mainly 'glamorous' oil tycoons living in Europe with a thing for horses. Don't tell anyone the 80's are over!

I think next is either Steph Swainson's Year of Our War, becuase it sounds interesting and becuase i've conciously been trying to read more women, or Winds of Khalakovo, by Bradley Bainlieu, becuase its available and sounds neat. I still look for that sort of total-immersion epic fantasy book, despite suspecting i've actually burned out on the sub genre somewhat. I was thinking of reading the Unremembered, by Peter Orullian, but its was just depressingly long and sounded so unbelievably boring somehow. (I'm not sure I want more Russian settings again though, between Valente and Adam Roberts Yellow Blue Tibia a few weeks back.)

I was thinking of reading the Unremembered, by Peter Orullian, but its was just depressingly long and sounded so unbelievably boring somehow.

I don't think I've seen a good review of this book, yet. I've seen several stating that the series has potential, but nothing actually praising the first volume.

About a third or more through Richard Morgan's Woken Furies. Still haven't really engaged in the story, but I'm stubborn and going to finish this trilogy! Also, I didn't really get into the previous one until the second half, so I'm hoping for something similar.

To start the new month I am reading Winterbirth by Ruckley thanks to many recommendations from this board. I am also taking my time enjoying The Tough Guide to Fantasyland by Diana Wynne Jones, in order to remember a great author.

Just started Paul Kearney's Monarchies of God series. It seems promising so far, and I've heard some great things baout the series.

I'm struggling through "The Crystal Cave" by Mart Stewart. I love anything to do with King Arthur, but I think I've just read too many different Arthurian adaptations and this one just hasn't drawn me in yet. I've heard some heavy praise for the series, so I plan to finish it, but I just can't get myself to be really involved in the story or the characters.

I don't think I've seen a good review of this book, yet. I've seen several stating that the series has potential, but nothing actually praising the first volume.

All the reviews seem to describe it as Generic McGenre. :dunno: I wouldn't mind, in a way, but no one has any particular praise for the characterization or worldbuilding within that either, so i'm kind of thinking "Whats the point?"

Finished Deathless (Cat Valente), and the last third made me revise my opinion a bit. Its really, really good, despite not being entirely my cup of tea. The last part builds on the rest of it, brings it a bit closer back to real history, and the overall effect is sad and powerful. (I ended up getting slightly teary eyed while reading under the table in calculus class.)

Looks like Swainsons "Year of our War" is next.

Three quarters through Weaveworld by Clive Barker. It seems to have lost some of its momentum halfway through but hopefully it will recover. Interesting book, not your run of the mill portal fantasy. After I finish that one I want to read The Hero of Ages, the first two of the series were pretty good. After that more Terry Pratchett.

I finished Blood Rites by Jim Butcher a couple of days ago, and I really enjoyed. I think this will be the year that I finally get caught up on the series. I do wish Harry would learn the proper use of whom versus who though... so annoying.

Have you tried the audio books? The narrator is great.

Hi all !

I'm reading Dragons Deal by Robert Asprin. Light easy reading , the last book of the Dragon series. I'll miss Asprin's humor greatly.

I'm going to risk being stoned to death and say that I actually still get a kick out of his books. It's a pity that when he passed away the antasy world barely blinked.

Archived