A Thread for Small Questions for ADwD IV

Angalin

In Volantis, Tyrion and Jorah get a description of the ship that would take them towards Dany, the Selaesori "Stinky Steward" Qhoran:

Two days from now, the cog Selaesori Qhoran will set sail for Qarth by way of New Ghis, carrying tin and iron, bales of wool and lace, fifty Myrish carpets, a corpse pickled in brine, twenty jars of dragon peppers, and a red priest. Be on her when she sails.

Anyone we know?

In the ADwD and AFfC appendices, it is stated that the Greatjon is captive at the Twins, and his name isn't in brackets that indicate death.

good deal, I listened to the books, so there isn't any appendices for me to look at. Good I like Greatjon and I imagine he is like a bear just waiting to rip some throats and tear some heads off.

Sorry I'm not certain this is exactly the right place for the question but it didn't seem worthy of a thread.

Whats west of Westeros? Euron sailed to the far east but did he travel west from the Iron islands to reach Asshai. Its possible there's nothing or we just don't know but I was wondering.

Sorry I'm not certain this is exactly the right place for the question but it didn't seem worthy of a thread.

Whats west of Westeros? Euron sailed to the far east but did he travel west from the Iron islands to reach Asshai. Its possible there's nothing or we just don't know but I was wondering.

Westerosi call it the Sunset Sea. It's unclear what lies beyond. An old king in the North, Brandon the Shipwright tried to find out and never returned.

IIRC GRRM once stated that his world is a globe, albeit one that's several times as large as the Earth. Considering how long it took for Columbus to even reach America, I would be very much surprised if Euron had managed to circumnavigate the whole planet. That's just guessing though.

Westerosi call it the Sunset Sea. It's unclear what lies beyond. An old king in the North, Brandon the Shipwright tried to find out and never returned.

IIRC GRRM once stated that his world is a globe, albeit one that's several times as large as the Earth. Considering how long it took for Columbus to even reach America, I would be very much surprised if Euron had managed to circumnavigate the whole planet. That's just guessing though.

Cheers for the reply. Yeah it probably would be a large distance. But the Iron Islands to Asshai is pretty close to travelling the length of the known world anyway. I guess it's one of those things we'll never know like that Sothoros exists but is highly unlikely to be involved in anything.

I just read the small piece of the Theon chapter the Martin released, and it makes me wonder why so many people think that the letter Jon received is pure crap, and it might even have came from Stannis himself.

I can see Stannis using the fear that Theon has for Ramsey as his muse in writing the letter. Stannis knows that Jon would never just leave the wall to come help him, but perhaps if he spices it up then jon would come. But with all that aside do people assume the time line overlaps? Do people think the letter was sent after the Theon-Stannis discussion in WOW?

I just find it odd that a lot of the things Theon says of Ramsey are in the letter and the reference Stannis made about "you might here that I am dead". It just seems like to much coincidence.

Is there a piece that I am missing?

[pink letter, Stannis, Theon's gift chapter, timeline overlap]

I guess that's quite a complex array of questions and there have been many different theories brought forth about them without a single one being universally thought of as the "correct one". The timeline is murky enough so that it might well overlap (if it doesn't, then an imporant part of the letter is clearly bogus - but that may be bogus anyways).

A discussion about Stannis as author (paying special attention to the Theon chapter you mentioned) with many arguments pro and con can be found in that thread.

Why were the Targaryens so close with the Martells? There have been multiple marriages between the houses, yet the only other time a Targ has married someone from another noble Westerosi house was Viserys I if i'm not mistaken.

Why were the Targaryens so close with the Martells? There have been multiple marriages between the houses, yet the only other time a Targ has married someone from another noble Westerosi house was Viserys I if i'm not mistaken.

It is quite possible that the reason is to maintain the don't bother me/i won't bother your kingdom. Dorne would not bow to Aegon I, and it would be a good alliance just to keep each in their own areas.

Rhaelle Targaryen married a Baratheon, if you count them as an entirely separate house.

The Martells were double-married into the realm by the Targaryens in a single generation. What multiple marriages are you're referring to?

How does Dany know how to ride Drogon? And how the hell did they land up next to Khal Pono and his horde from Mereen?

Dany simply climbs on his back, and she doesn't know how to steer him yet.

Also, it's Khal Jhaqo; Khal Pono is near Volantis. We don't know how far Dany is from Meereen, or how fast Drogon can fly. For example, if he flew an average of 30 mph, and he flew for 8 hours, that would mean they could be 240 miles from Meereen.

How does Dany know how to ride Drogon? And how the hell did they land up next to Khal Pono and his horde from Mereen?

As to the first question, her initial flight from Meereen is more being along for the ride than anything. She practices during her stay at Dragonstone 2.0, treating it like learning to ride a horse.

As to the second question, a wizard did it. Seriously, though, it's luck.

Not sure if this goes here but figure this would be a good of place as any. Do we know of any Starks a generation up from Robb and them that demonstrate any kind of skin changing or having any "special" traits? I mean its kind of wierd that Bran might be the last green seer and yet we don't hear about mom or dad with any kind of abilities.

Not sure if this goes here but figure this would be a good of place as any. Do we know of any Starks a generation up from Robb and them that demonstrate any kind of skin changing or having any "special" traits? I mean its kind of wierd that Bran might be the last green seer and yet we don't hear about mom or dad with any kind of abilities.

I'm pretty sure none of them showed any kind of ability we know of. I think it is a genetic trait that has been dormant, woken as the magic is returning to the world.

The Starks are called," wargs" by the wildlings and they seem to be more knowledgeable about these things. I think the Starks specifically need a direwolf to awaken their ability and they hadn't been seen in hundreds of years south of the Wall.

We learned from Varamyr Sixskins that he had gone to "skin-changers" get-togethers with other folks like himself north of the Wall. So I believe that the ability was active during the 30-40 years of Varamyr's life when magic was not active in the land. I think when magic started growing, either the Old Gods or the 3-eyed Crow made sure that the Stark's path would cross that of that direwolf family. They wanted to awaken the wolf in the Stark's DNA.

No, no one in Ned, Lyanna, Brandon or Benjen's generation was a warg. The fact that there are six wargs in one generation of Stark children — Jon, Robb, Sansa, Arya, Bran and Rickon — is almost statistically impossible and it's likely that some other supernatural force is behind it.

Archived