A Thread for Small Questions XVII

Angalin

Unanswered questions from the previous thread:

In one of Dany's last chapters in ADWD, she noticed that the high grasses of the Dothaki sea have changed color from green to yellow or brown, I’m not sure…

So there are seasons in Essos, I would assume that it’s the same as in Westeros: colder North and warmer south…

But the mystery is still complete to me; maybe it snows in Bravos and in the Dothaki sea, but what about Slaver’s bay?

Anyway, if no one knows the answer, I guess we’ll learn it soon enough in TWOW.

I can't remember snow being mentioned in Dorne, but I did find a quote from one of the Queen's Men gaurding Stanis (Jon notes they are wearing cloth gloves, offers to have them see Bowen Marsh for fur lined leather gloves):

So it at least gets cold in areas of Dorne, but relative to what?

not sure if this has been covered by anybody, but did anybody else notice tom o'sevens at riverrun when jamie left? i'm wondering if that's where the BwB is going to strike next and if that is 'proof' that the blackfish is working with them now?

any thoughts/conspiracies?

I do not think it would snow in Dorne. I believe there is a comment made somewhere along the way about some boys from the Reach arriving at the Wall without ever having seen snow, so I don't think it would snow in Dorne. Braavos is actually pretty far North, about the level of the Neck.

Lord of WInter

not sure if this has been covered by anybody, but did anybody else notice tom o'sevens at riverrun when jamie left? i'm wondering if that's where the BwB is going to strike next and if that is 'proof' that the blackfish is working with them now?

I noticed that, too. Probably a delannistering/defreying of Riverun is in the works.

Here is what George has said about Dorne and winter:

"Surely, the import of grain from the South alone can't cover the North's needs. And, by the way, does it snow in the South during the winter?

Yes, some times, in some places. The Mountains of the Moon get quite a lot of snow, the Vale and the riverlands and the west rather less, but some. King's Landing gets snow infrequently, the Storm Lands and the Reach rarely, Oldtown and Dorne almost never."

I'm not sure that this is evidence that the Blackfish is working with the BwB, as Tom was in the Lannisters' camp, not Brynden's. I think he's just there to show that the BwB has a spy at this location.

Which King's Hand built the passage to Chataya's? I've been assuming it was Tywin, but has anyone found an answer for this?

It's never said outright (like many, many, many solutions to hanging questions ...), but it's heavily implied to be Tywin. And that's as much confirmation as you're ever going to get, I'd wager.

Sorry if this was discussed before . . .

I wondered what the order of succession is now when the Baratheons are in the power?

Do they keep the Targs´ system or did they change it to the more common "if King doesn´t have a son, his daugter will come before his uncle/brother/nephew/male cousin"?

If Tommen dies, who is the next in line - Stannis or Myrcella?

I think that Stannis would be skipped as a heretic, but I´m curious.

I wondered what the order of succession is now when the Baratheons are in the power?

Do they keep the Targs´ system or did they change it to the more common "if King doesn´t have a son, his daugter will come before his uncle/brother/nephew/male cousin"?

Far as we have been told, no such change occurred.

You mean, as a rebel? The Iron Throne is not directly linked to the Faith of Seven.

Odds are good that Myrcella would be supported by the Lannisters and, possibly, by at least some of the Dornish Houses. Stannis, of course, would not accept it, just as he did not accept Joffrey or Tommen.

Since there is no established external arbiter to break such an impasse, it would doubtless come down to military might. Basically, it would be the War of the Five Kings round two.

Why exactly was Dorne unconquered by Aegon? Why couldn't his dragons access the place?

Apparently, they could. To the best of our knowledge, Dorne resorted to guerilla tactics to wear down Aegon's troops, striking and fleeing before the dragons could reach or find them.

Still, the story is somewhat suspect. Dorne doesn't seem to have the kind of geography that would facilitate such tactics, and how come none of the other Kingdoms thought about resisting in the same way?

Interestingly enough, Dorne was eventually conquered by Daeron I Targaryen, shortly after the last dragon died. And then it rebelled, quite violently so and regaining its autonomy.

My guess is that in some sense the Targaryens had overextended themselves. It is possible that something in Dorne was anathema to the Dragons or even to the Targaryens themselves.

Can Bran father children?

I don't mean yet...I mean, has it been specified whether or not his injury will prevent sexual activity?

I don't think it's been mentioned. It's possible that no one, including Bran, knows for sure.

---

I've a question: I cannot recall whether Sansa heard about Arya marrying Ramsay or not?

I don't think the Baratheons kept Salic law. They made it that way in the show (in the first season when Sansa and Septa Mordane are talking about inheritance Stannis and Renly come before Myrcella) but I'm not sure it's really that way in the books. At least not for Lordships and such, since Cersei became the Lady of Casterly Rock over Kevan. Meaning that you have to go through an entire branch before switching to the next (meaning that all of Tywin's children and grandchildren have precedence over his brothers and sisters). In any case, with the war going this point is kinda moot.

You mean, as a rebel? The Iron Throne is not directly linked to the Faith of Seven.

It´s not, but with the re-arming of the Faith Militant . . . Will they support someone who converted to the R´hllor? I think not.

That he´d rebelled wouldn´t help him, too.

Archived