A Globe of Gold is Always Cold...

BabyMeraxes

Now that the season is wrapped, let's rate the performances. Top 5 ladies, Top 5 dudes, and Top 5 Minors

1. Alfie Alan's Theon: He really killed it this season, and the beheading of Ser Rodrick really sealed the deal. That was almost the most moving scene of the series.

2. Jack Gleeson's Joffrey: Spot on. I think it takes a lot to create and portray a truly irredeemable character, on top of the fact that he's just a kid...

3. Charles Dance's Tywin: Almost the exact opposite of Joff. Dance gave me a whole new perspective on Tywin's character, and made a potential one-note character (a character I never cared to read about) one of the highlights of the season.

4. Conleth Hill's Varys: Destroyed every scene he was in. Pitch perfect Varys, his coy, salty faces gave Dinklage a run for his money

5. Liam Cunningham's Davos: The best of the new male character's introduced this season. I wish he had more scenes.

1. Michelle Fairley's Catelyn: She murdered Catelyn. My favorite scene, and the best acted, of the season was when LF delivers Ned's bones. Gut-wrenching stuff, and she'll sweep awards season if there's any justice left in this world.

2. Gwendoline Christie's Brienne: I was really nervous about the casting of this character, but Christie surpassed all my expectations. She's totally overshadowed NCW's Jamie in the few scenes they shared this season, and her reaction to Renly's death was moving, when it could have been super clunky and rushed.

3. Lena Headey's Cersei: I was not on the Lena Headey ship until Blackwater. Martin gave her some wonderful stuff to work with, and she really stepped-up to the challenge.

4. Sophie Turner's Sansa: She barely edge's out over Williams' Arya, but Sansa had the harder scenes (The riot in King's Landing, Joff's Throne Room assult), and Sophie sold Sansa better than actress twice her age.

5. Maisie Williams' Arya: How old is she again? 13? She's got a great career ahead of her.

1. Pyat Pree: Ignoring the dragons, he saved Qarth.

2. Ygritte: Can't wait to see more of her, I'm glad she ditched secretary school

3. Shae: If they continue with her story line as it plays out in the books, everyone is going to FREAK OUT

4. Yorin: I was sad to see him go, more so than when he died in the books

5. Irri: For that guttural sobbing in episode two alone...

Top 4 for me:

Men:

1. Allen.

2. Dinklage. It's obvious and he gets the best lines, but still. The range was fantastic and he kept some potentially cheesy moments real (the speech, time with Shae).

3. Dillane. He got so little time, but I think he took a very hard character and really nailed him. Stannis is petty, pedantic, righteous, bitter, and at the same time courageous and driven. Dillane got that across so well with so little time to do it.

4. Coster-Waldau. Of all the actors, I think his Jaime might be the one I'd see most while reading. Just seems perfect and the "too many vows" speech was nailed.

Women:

1. Cersei. Headey killed the whole season. Bitter, drunk, triumphant, impatient, bored, lashing out, determined, caring mother and a willing, if odd, mentor.

2. Fairley.

3/4. Williams/Turner. I can't really pick. The "Anyone can be killed/shrug" versus "Dinner with the Lannisters/Lashing out at Shea" Good stuff all around.

Minor Characters:

1. Malahide. Balon Greyjoy had a tiny bit of time, but that's basically him in a nutshell. They didn't even need to introduce him.

2. Maester Luwin (don't know the actor's name). Just great stuff. A lot of emotion in his voice without overacting.

3. Dotrice. Wildly amusing. Perhaps this is too minor, but I really enjoyed his character.

Top 2 for me, because these ar those I think will get nominated

Men

1. Peter Dinkledge - and he walks off with another win. This is the role of a lifetime for him

2. Alfie Allen - absolutely astonishing work and could have won if not for Dinkledge beating him out.

Women

1. Leena Headey - For her work on The Blackwater. We won't see a better acting performance this year

2. Maisie Williams - She just might be the surprise of the awards this year and pull off an upset

If we are talking absolute stand-out performances that will put the actor in consideration for awards, I have to agree with Holafernando Torres.

Others worth mentioning would include Liam Cunningham, Stephen Dillane and Charles Dance. Each pretty much nailing their character, even in scenes that didn't make the book (Tywin's great scenes with Arya adding to the also-not-in-the-book scene from last season with Jaime, Stannis first into the breach).

Oh and Ben Crompton (Dolorous Edd is comedy gold).

I'm just going to list everyone in random order, because I'm lazy like that.

Alfie Allen - Theon Greyjoy

Maisie Williams - Arya Stark

Rose Leslie - Ygritte

Tom Cantspellhisname - Jaquen H'ghar

Dillane - Stannis

Charles Dance - Tywin

And that's about it.

Men:

1. Alfie Allen: I didn't believe in him at first, but he surpassed all my expectations. The best performance of the season.

2. Peter Dinklage: Tyrion was the most important character in A Clash of Kings and Dinklage nailed it.

3. Jack Gleeson: very promising young actor.

4. Conleth Hill: was the perfect Varys in every scene.

5. Liam Cunningham: so likable as Davos, the way he should be.

Honorable mention to Stephen Dillane. I'm sure Charles Dance is a great actor, but I hate what the writers did to Tywin. Not Dance's fault, I know.

Sam Tarly was great last season, but in this one not so much. Maybe it's due to a lack of good scenes. I hope to see more of him in future seasons.

Women:

1. Lena Headey

2. Gwendoline Christie: I was very impressed. Can't wait to see more of her, even though I don't like what the writers did to Brienne (turned her into a vicious killer).

3. Sophie Turner: This could be just because I love Sansa so much. Whatever. :P

Minors:

Bronn, Maester Luwin, the Spice King, Pyat Pree.

Top 2 for me, because these ar those I think will get nominated

Men

1. Peter Dinkledge - and he walks off with another win. This is the role of a lifetime for him

2. Alfie Allen - absolutely astonishing work and could have won if not for Dinkledge beating him out.

Women

1. Leena Headey - For her work on The Blackwater. We won't see a better acting performance this year

2. Maisie Williams - She just might be the surprise of the awards this year and pull off an upset

Geez, maybe you should keep this name, I love everything you write. Better than Howdy did.

I don't get this Alfie Allen hysteria, he was good, but not amazing. He got progressively better as the season went on but to me he can still be quite wooden. I don't think shouting a battle speech warrants a Golden Globe.

Gleeson, Dinklage and Dance are the best male actors in it IMO, with an honourable mention to Maester Luwin.

I don't get this Alfie Allen hysteria, he was good, but not amazing. He got progressively better as the season went on but to me he can still be quite wooden. I don't think shouting a battle speech warrants a Golden Globe.

His best moment in the last episode was when he was talking to Maester Luwin IMO.

Gleeson, Dinklage and Dance are the best male actors in it IMO, with an honourable mention to Maester Luwin.

Oh, I have been astonished at how his work has just gotten better and better, going back to his scenes at home with Balon and his sister, and writing his letter to Robb. He started to take on a look of desperation as events progressed, and the play of emotions across his face in the Luwin scene were wonderful.

His best moment in the last episode was when he was talking to Maester Luwin IMO.

Oh, I have been astonished at how his work has just gotten better and better, going back to his scenes at home with Balon and his sister, and writing his letter to Robb. He started to take on a look of desperation as events progressed, and the play of emotions across his face in the Luwin scene were wonderful.

I found the whole "Kill the guy with horn" pretty annoying though. To me he was quite poor at the beginning of the season, but he has grown and become fairly decent. He just doesn't convince me enough with it, and he seems quite monotonous.

Ladies

Emilia Clarke did an admirable job with her material this year. It wasn't perfect stuff, but the early scenes in the Red Waste, and the always humorous Spice King scenes set up some great payoff in "Valar Morghulis." In many ways, Daenerys' story reflected what the second seasons of television series are usually about: characters questioning their purpose and assessing whether they are really strong enough and committed enough to get what they want.

Lena Heady has been a favorite of mine since the pilot, unlike many fans who first came from the books. Her performance and interpretation of Cersei has certainly evolved for the better, and her moments in Blackwater were an exciting culmination of that evolution.

Rose Leslie will undoubtably be a rising fan favorite in season 3. My only complaint is that she didn't get to tell the Bael the Bard story. If she had she would have been the breakout character of season 2, instead of...

Gwendoline Christie has done what many of her castmates before here did: erase any doubt in my mind that another actor could fill their role. I loved her, but don't really have anything else to say aside from my high anticipation for her performance in season 3.

Natalie Dormer was everything I wanted and more from Margaery Tyrell. My excitement for her casting was dulled by the fact that the character doesn't flourish for a while in the novels, but I think we can all agree that her performance in the first half of season 2 certainly allowed the Tyrell rose to flourish more than it did in A Clash of Kings.

Gentlemen

Isaac Hempsted-Wright broke my heart as Bran this year. The character gets largely set aside for parts of the season, as well as parts of A Clash of Kings, but still he sticks out in my mind, particular his unspoken scene at the end of The Prince of Winterfell. That's a testament to the young man's performance, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with Bran in the future.

Alfie Allen. Being a fan of his sister, Lily Allen, I spent the first season singing her song "Alfie" in my head whenever he was onscreen. This year, however, I was floored time and time again by his ability to communicate the unwritten; some of the most classic parts of his narration from A Clash of Kings, such as his envisioning himself rising in the ranks of the Night's Watch, and his decision to turn his cloak and the inner conflicts involved, were told without a line of dialogue thanks to Alfie's grand performance. (For those of you who haven't heard the song, click here to enjoy Lily Allen's song "Alfie," which is obviously about our own Theon Greyjoy)

Charles Dance was a revelation this season. I love love loved his scenes with Jaime and especially Tyrion last year, and I'm very excited for his final tenure as Hand of the King, but his scenes with Maisie Williams will probably stick out to me as one of the best creations of the show's creative staff.

Liam Cunningham. I don't have much to say for his performance aside from how much it grew on me as the season progressed. Even though I'd read the books, I found that as more of his backstory was told I became more invested with him. I've always been a little skittish about Davos; the first time I read A Clash of Kings, I hated him, but I consider his three chapters in A Dance with Dragons to be one of the highlights of the book (especially the one and perhaps only time we'll see the Three Sisters, which has become one of my favorite chapters of the series).

Nicolas Coster-Waldau delivered the standout performance of episode seven, which in my opinion sealed the deal for his strong claim to award nominations this year.

Minor

Ben Crompton nailed the dour and understated humor of Dolorous Edd.

Donald Sumpter. I'll admit that Mr. Sumpter would have had to do the absolute worst job of any actor on a television series ever for me to not be happy with Maester Luwin. His goodbye to Bran and Rickon is a staple for the series, and he seems to be one of the few actors unanimously liked by newbies and experts alike. I'm proud to say I'm one of those people.

Joe Dempsie could just stand in the background of every scene with his shirt off and I'd love him. I'm a big fan of his (and Hannah Murray's) performance on Skins, and I greatly enjoyed his undeniable chemistry with Maisie Williams.

Finn Jones to me qualifies for this category, and his reaction to Renly's death was very well done. I certainly hope his scene with Sansa from the beginning of A Storm of Swords is intact next year.

Carice van Houten was suitably deadpan when appropriate, as well as creepy, fascinating, a little sexy, and obviously kissed by fire. I'm a little burned out from earlier paragraphs, so I'm going to end my post here. Except to say that IF SHE HAS HER HAIR DONE UP IN BUNS ONE MORE TIME... :tantrum:

(For those of you who haven't heard the song, click here to enjoy Lily Allen's song "Alfie," which is obviously about our own Theon Greyjoy)

I've always hated this song because I think it makes him look like a total loser. But I'll admit it fits very well now that Alfie is playing Theon Greyjoy.

I've always hated this song because I think it makes him look like a total loser. But I'll admit it fits very well now that Alfie is playing Theon Greyjoy.

Really? I think the song is fun. It's some of Lily Allen's worst songwriting, to be sure, but it's catchy and has some good rhymes. But then again there's probably the chance that we have a fundamentally different opinion on whether or not all stoners are losers, lol.

Really? I think the song is fun. It's some of Lily Allen's worst songwriting, to be sure, but it's catchy and has some good rhymes. But then again there's probably the chance that we have a fundamentally different opinion on whether or not all stoners are losers, lol.

In the video he just sits in his bedroom and watches TV, plays games, jerks off and smokes weed. Total loser! And in truth he's been the best actor this season.

Not gonna rank Dinklage since he pretty much makes everybody's lists...

1. Liam Cunningham did a fantastic job in my opinion, probably the best new character this year. Dillane deserves a mention, but I think Cunningham had Davos down.

2. Conleth Hill- Good work as always. A perfect Varys.

3. Alfie Allen- Have to mention him. He's done a very good job reflecting Theons emotions during his short reign as Prince of Winterfell.

4. Nikolaj Caster Waldau- He was in way too little episodes. I love him so much.

5. Jack Gleeson- Through and through a perfect Joffrey

1. Michelle Fairley- I actually find myself rooting for Catelyn in the show

2. Gwendoline Christie- physically and personality wise she's exactly like how I picture Brienne

3. Lena Headley- Some don't like her portrayal as Cersei, I think its amazing and makes her look like an actual human

4. Turner/Williams- Equally fantastic jobs from these girls

5. I dont know her name, but whoever plays Yara. She gets a lot of hate because she doesn't look like her at all (and her names different), but the scene with her in Winterfell with Theon was awesome

Minor

1. Donald Sumpter as Luwin- Seriously, I think he was my favorite. The scene in the Godswood was emotionally riveting, and probably in my top 5 scenes for the season.

2. Ben Crompton as Dolorous Edd

3. Patrick Malahide as Balon Greyjoy

4. Eugene Simon as Lancel Lannister- This kid doesn't get enough props in my opinion. He did an awesome job playing Lancel

5. Whoever played the Spice King- TV made character I know, but he was hilarious and anyone who calls out Dany like that deserves my respect.

HM: Julian Glover as Pycelle, Finn Jones as Loras, Natalie Dormer as Margaery, Rose Leslie as Ygritte

Just gonna do my fav for each category:

Female: Michelle Fairley's Catelyn(every single scene from the beginning of the series to the end of season 2 she has been perfect)

Male: Dillane's Stannis(the convo about Storm's End with Davos was masterful!)

Minor: Roy Dotrice(he shined in both(?) his scenes)

My fav younger actor was probably Sansa or Gendry. Arya is always fantastic, too hard to pick one single young actor from this show to say is best.

The top male performances for me were definitely

- Peter Dinklage - Clash of Kings was really his time to shine and Dinklage didn't disappoint. He has been the most consistent character on the show and all scenes with him are a joy to watch.

- Alfie Allen - He really was great showing Theon's struggle. And although at this point in the books I still hate Theon I felt for him. Especially in his final scene with Maester Luwin.

- Isaac Hempstead Wright - I have such a soft spot for Bran and Isaac is perfect at bringing his character to life. The story in the north was probably my favorite, and that is saying a lot compared to everything else that happened.

For the ladies:

- Michelle Fairley - Remember those days when people said that Michelle Fairley was too old and too ugly to play Catelyn? Yeah, me neither. She has been the most consisten female actress on this show I think. She kills the emotional scenes and seems to have such great chemistry with so many characters including Robb, Littlefinger and Brienne. She has been fantastic and I don't think gets the credit she deserves (and thats probably because people hate Catelyn).

- Lena Headey - pretty much for her performance in Blackwater alone. She was beyond perfection as Cersei in that episode and really killed it.

- Gwendoline Christie - She really brought Brienne to life in a way that doesn't happen in the books until the latter parts of A Storm of Swords. Her little quippy lines were killer and she was so badass, I can't wait to see her interact with Jaime more.

- Maisie Williams - She was killer in the first season and didn't disappoint this season either. Her early scenes with Gendry were hilarious and her scenes with Tywin were creepy yet amazing and an unexpected highlight of their episodes.

Minor (this category for me doesn't necessarily mean minor characters just characters with great performances just not as great as the ones listed above)

- Donald Sumpter - As I said before I was very impressed with the North story line and Maester Luwin's scenes with both Bran and Theon brought so much more emotion to them.

- Natalie Dormer - I love this new Margaery and, while her role was tiny, I think she stole the scenes she was in. I can't wait to see her as a character in the politics of King's Landing.

- Rose Leslie - I was worried about Ygritte at first but Leslie really brought it home. She was so fiery and a great sparring partner for Jon.

- Finn Jones and Gethin Anthony - Particularly Gethin but I had to include Finn Jones too. Renly's scenes with Catelyn really showed why he was a loved king and Gethin was perfect in his scenes with Stannis.

And finally - Liam Cunningham - I feel like we didn't get enough of him but he portrays Davos perfectly.

Archived