Would Robert have waged war on the North if he found out about Jon (assuming R+L=J)

The Snowman

Robert would not have been able to gather the support to start a war with the North even if he wanted too. The Vale under Jon Arryn would not join, the Tullys and Starks are allies, Dorne hates you, the reach won't commit to anything.

That leaves the Stormlands/Crownlands and possibly the Lannisters to fight a unified North and Riverlands. Un-winnable war the would end Robert's reign before it started.

First of all Robert couldn't know the whole story so it really depends on what Ned would say in defense of Jon.I think if Ned told Robert that Jon was the product of rape but Lyanna told Ned that Jon was an innocent in this situation and wanted Ned to protect Jon, I think then FRobert might have let it go.

And about warring Ned I think Robert wouldn't go that far.First of all if he really wanted to kill every targeryan infant or not then there was nothing to stop him from killing Dany or Visery same goes for Aemon too.Robert was all talk in his rage.Only after he learnt about Dany being pregnant and posing a real threat with a real army did he decide to send someone after her.

But again, if someone, (probably in the Lannister employ), told Robert that the Starks had broke the betrothal, or that Lyanna had willingly gone with Rhaegar, (I'm sure a letter could "produced"),just his emotional reaction, driven by hatred, jealousy, and now betrayal would be devastating.

And I'm sure the Lannisters had a contingency plan if Lyanna was brought back to Robert.

Cersei was going to be Queen whether it was Rhaegar or Robert, and since the same woman took both men from her, I'm sure Tywin wasn't going to allow that insult to stand, no more than he allowed the insult of Elia.

But again, if someone, (probably in the Lannister employ), told Robert that the Starks had broke the betrothal, or that Lyanna had willingly gone with Rhaegar, (I'm sure a letter could "produced"),just his emotional reaction, driven by hatred, jealousy, and now betrayal would be devastating.

And I'm sure the Lannisters had a contingency plan if Lyanna was brought back to Robert.

Cersei was going to be Queen whether it was Rhaegar or Robert, and since the same woman took both men from her, I'm sure Tywin wasn't going to allow that insult to stand, no more than he allowed the insult of Elia.

Even Robert isn't that much of an idiot, Starks lost a brother and a father because of the Targeryans.In reality affter his dismisal Tywin didn't have any power until Cersei was queen.Tywins influence grew because Robert wasn't interested in ruling so like Ned and Jon said everywhere was full of Lannisters.Roberts squiires, kingsguard, money(came from Lannisters).Robert tied his own hands.

If by some miracle Lyanna and Rhaegar married even then Robert couldn't do anything because with Rickard as the head of the family Starks wouldn't rebel, Jon woldn't until there was a life threat and noone would go to war for Roberts crush.

I guess my take on it is, if Jon Arryn can't calm Robert down and he calls his banners, I think the sides might boil down to this:

Robert: Crownlands (begrudgingly because he is king, but I think it would be a great twist if most of the Targ loyal houses defected to Ned and Jon once they got North), Stormlands (because he was their liege), Westerlands (because Cersei is Queen)

Ned: North (he is liege), Reach (they supported the Targs in RR and might support another one hiding up North, assuming Mace can arrange a marriage pact with Ned)

Sitting it out: Riverlands (Wouldn't support Robert because Cat is up North, but wouldn't support Ned because that isn't Cat's child), Vale (Jon is not going to pick sides among his two wards whom he considers sons), Dorne (didn't like Robert taking over, but wouldn't support a Rhaegar child that isn't of their bloodline)

Wild Card: Iron Islands (could join Robert [if it's before Balon actually rebelled] to gain territory or could very well just start attacking at will, probably the Westerlands since all their troops are going North, probably not the North since they are on the defensive and hold all the castles)

Not every kingdom has to choose a side. And Robert isn't going to waste his time or men subduing kingdoms that don't answer his summons. Although the Riverlands might get set ablaze as Westermen and Crownlanders and Stormlanders march through to get North.

I think Robert must have suspected. He isn't that stupid. He thinks Rhaegar raped Lyanna repeatedly. He knows Rhaegar is fertile. He knows that Ned went to Dorne and that Ned watched Lyanna die there. Then Ned came out of Dorne with a baby.

But he is good at ignoring facts that are inconvenient. He never asked Ned directly, he just went along with the polite fiction (if R+L=J is true) that Jon was Ned's son. Every once in a while, he gets Ned to repeat the lie so they both know where they stand.

Now, if it became public in some provable way, Robert would just have the High Septon confirm Jon's status as a bastard. Either because he is a bastard or because polygamy is against the Faith and a violation of Rhaegar's wedding vows to Elia.

Finally, no army has ever taken Moat Cailin from the south. Robert knows that. Why start a war he probably can't win over wounded pride?

I don't think the whole deal in hiding R + L = J is the threat of Robert alone, because this one could by convinced by Ned + Jon Arrys + Look at this cute baby how could you you even loved his mother!!. The problem is the what the other Houses would do.

And by other Houses I mean Tywin Lannister.

No Robert would not have waged war just to kill Jon if L+R=J .He hated Rhaegar for kidnapping and raping Lyanna . But the rebellion was because Aerys called for the heads of Robert and Eddard . Robert wants to be thought as a noble knight, and noble knights do not murder children. And if Robert aware of Jon's alleged identity he would think it was caused by rape .

I think at first Robert would want him dead, but Eddard would have calmed him down, explained Lyanna's last wish to him, reminded him that the boy is still her son as well, and the baby would have immediately been sent to the Wall with Benjen, or else raised until the minimum age it could be sent to the Wall.

If it came to war:

Sitting out

1. The Iron Islands

2. The Vale (Jon Arryn would not choose)

King Robert I Baratheon:

1. The majority of the Stormlands

2. All of the Westerlands

3. The majority of the Crownlands

4. Half of the Narrow Sea Houses

5. A portion of the Reach's Houses

King Jon I:

1. All of the North

2. Most of the Riverlands (This would be a good time for Ned to take advantage of having a Tully for a wife and call for aid)

3. A majority of the Reach (A strong chance that the Queen of Thorns could see potential in supporting Jon since they could arrange for an age-similar Margaery to be betrothed to him. Ned would see them as opportunistic scoundrels, but he needs all the help he can get

4. A portion of the Stormlands (who still hold amnity against Robert for overthrowing the Targaryens and slaying their family and friends)

5. Half of the Narrow Sea Houses - like House Velaryon and House Bar Emmon

6. A portion of the Crownlands who still harbor Targaryen loyalty

7. And finally, Dorne would stay neutral at first but would join Jon's side after playing the waiting game. Oberyn, Doran, the Sand Snakes and the Dornish nobles and smallfolk may have a grievance against Jon being an insult against Elia's memory, but I think they would hate Robert more, and especially his primary supports - the Lannisters)

Yeah Robert is stupid, but he aint that dumb to face those odds. Especially a short time after a bloody war. He would probably demand to have Jon sent to the Wall when he reaches the minimum age and revoke any potential claim to the throne.

First off, some epic thread necromancy over here, and secondly, I doubt that a full blown war would've taken place. Robert's hatred for the Targs, Rheagar especially, was great. But his friendship with Ned was bountiful as well. I think Jon Arryn could talk them down. Maybe Jon is still raised by Ned or maybe even taken in by the Arryns as a sort of compromise. I agree with someone about it depending also on how Bob finds out.

I'm going on some other assumptions here:

1. Robert finds out about R+L=J but not EVERYONE knows it yet, except possibly Jon Arryn.

2. He finds out shortly after taking the throne and the ensuing balance of power has already been set in place between Arryn, Stark, Baratheon, Lannister, and the others.

3. Robert believes Rhaegar and Lyanna's relationship was nonconsensual and therefore Jon was a result of rape.

4. Ned intended to raise Jon as his own bastard, as we assume he promised to Lyanna.

I believe that Robert would still want Jon killed. The reason for this is not just his hatred of Targaryens and everything related to them. It is almost a necessity. Any remaining Targaryens are a direct threat to his legitimacy of his reign. You may say 'well he didn't do anything about Viserys and Dany for so long', but their situation was a bit different. They were Targs through and through. Their mother was not of a different great house in the 7 kingdoms, so they had no familial ties. Furthermore, they were on Essos and on the run the entire time. Jon was (is) half Stark anyways, and as Ned has promised to raise him as his own, he'd be in Westeros for at least his childhood, and probably his whole adult life. Therefore, Robert would have almost no choice. Now, would he ask for the baby dead willingly? Of course not. It's Lyanna's son and an infant besides. But I think he'd think it would have to be done, in order to protect his own kingship and his own potential heirs (yea I know, protect Joffrey? ugh).

Now, the confrontation between him and Ned would be downright ugly. The problem here is that Ned is too damn honorable. What he should really do is switch Jon w/ some commoner baby (ie. pull a Varys), and 'let' Robert's assassins do the dirty work. But I doubt he'd sacrifice an innocent baby. On the other hand, I also highly doubt he'd go to war with Robert for this. It would all come down to Jon Arryn to try to reconcile them again. If Robert pushed the matter to war, Arryn would probably resign as Hand and return to the Vale. Not having the support of the Vale, and going against Ned would be enough to dishearten him.

In conclusion, no, I don't think they'd go to war with each other, but it'd probably be much more complicated than 'nope we are best buddies man, I love you bro.' Jon would have to at least APPEAR to die.

Robert Baratheon loves Jon Arryn like a father and Ned like a brother, I cant see him going to war with the North over killing a child of his beloved Lyanna. Robert hates Targs yes but the child is also half Stark and Robert would know Ned would rather die then give up is Kin, his only bond he has left with his sister.

I wonder if any other kingdom would rally behind Ned ??

I think Riverlands might and the Vale would stay neautral because Jon loves both men like sons and wouldnt.wanna help with the destruction of eithers house.

@Tall Tyrion Actually, keeping Rhaegars son around in Westeros is treason so Jon Arryn joining isn't impossible and getting the Tyrells to join wouldn't be as hard as you think. All he'd need to do is match Joffrey with Margaery.

@The King of the Seven Kingdoms Robert was loved by the most of the people he defeated. Many of the people who took up arms against him ended up dying for him. The Storlmands would be with him entirely.

Robert Baratheon's hatred of all things Targaryen went way past any rationality. Even Ned's resignation as Hand didn't stop him from sending assassins after Dany and even nearly had him break relations with Ned. If Ned Stark was discovered to be harboring Rhaegar Targaryen's bastard that defiled his idealized version of a woman Lyanna, it would eat at him and eat at him. Until finally in a dark moment of rage he would act on it. I don't think he'd call his banners to march on Ned, but I could see him sending assassins. If they failed, and got caught, then all hell would break loose.

Archived