NFL Preseason: Where every team has a shot at greatness, except the Rams

Young Wolf

I would take him as the third receiver for the Cowboys right now. This will not happen though. We passed on Plexico because we didn't want the media attention.

The Dallas Cowboys didn't want media attention? Sorry, does not compute. That's like the Kardashians passing up a reality show.

Love the thread title.

Whether Chad Johnson ends up in Oakland or not, I'm very curious to see how Palmer does this year. He was thrown into a pretty tough situation last year. This year he's settled and has a training camp and all that.

I do not approve of the title! Sweet bejesus the Rams D looked terrible about the only upside i took away was jenkins was not caught with a baggie of weed during the game tonight.

The Dallas Cowboys didn't want media attention? Sorry, does not compute. That's like the Kardashians passing up a reality show.

I(t is incredibly strange. They are going for a new outlook. It is one that only our senile owner/worst GM in the league gets all of the attention for making an ass out of himself.

WTF happened to Chad Johnson? I mean skills wise? I'm not exactly a Bengals fan but was it just a bad QB situation after Palmer got injured or what?

It's a combination of things. The Bengals cut him after the 2010 season when they were in the process of gutting the entire team. Palmer wanted out. TO wasn't being resigned. They brought in a new offensive coordinator with a new offensive philosophy. Their first two draft picks were a new WR and a new QB. All of these things lead to a change in the dynamic of the team and they no longer wanted to be associated with the old. Chad could still play but he was a distraction and they wanted to start fresh with new leadership.

Chad then went to the Patriots where he failed to grasp the intricacies of their playbook. The NE offense is very much read and react and Chad isn't smart enough to pick up all the little nuances. He was constantly out of position and Brady is an intense guy who needs to have his WRs in the exact spot that he expects them. Chad was always a free lancer which pissed off Palmer at times so there was no way this was going to work.

In Miami, he looked good. ACtually, very good. Sure he dropped the one pass thrown his way in the preseason game but he was showing great quickness and the ability to get open. However, he's playing for a no nonsense coach in Joe Philbin and the cursing press conference, the interrupting of coaches meetings (as seen on Hard Knocks) and finally the domestic abuse was enough to cut him. They don't want the distractions; it's why they got rid of Brandon Marshall.

All that being said, he's still good enough to join a team somewhere but he's a liability these days in the locker room, especially with that ridiculous wife of his. She is destroying him and he's too nice to do anything about it. Chad has a great heart and she's exploiting that shit. I feel bad for him in that respect.

The Rams do not need to leave St. Louis. They've just endured the worst 5 year stretch of any team in the history of the NFL and still have good fan support. There have only been a few blackouts during that stretch, there are other teams in the league who have a much harder time selling tickets than the Rams.

Yesterday's game was pretty bad but, the Rams did go 4 and 0 in the preseason last year only to implode during the season. So I'm not ready to give up on them yet based off that game alone. They also had either the most injuries last year or very close to it. I'm not saying they are play-off bound, but I don't think they'll be in the running for the top pick next year either. My biggest worry is the offensive line, although a few starters didn't play yesterday, I worry about them. I think the defense is much better than what they showed yesterday.

When it comes to preseason, and especially the first preseason game, you really can't extrapolate much if anything at all. About the only thing that's interesting to me is getting a first look at this particularly compelling class of rookie QBs and seeing how they do in their first live game action.

RGIII looked good in his very limited action - poised and in control and one good long scoring drive allows all of us to come away optimistic even with only 6 passes thrown.

Andrew Luck meanwhile looked very good in more extended action. I know it's the Rams and I know it's preseason, but it's more about just how the guy looks and just the way he evaded pressure and hit guys in stride downfield, he looked like a 5 year vet...which you kinda expect with the most polished QB prospect in years but still has to be reassuring for Colts fans.

Also Russell Wilson went 12 for 16 passing with a TD and 3 carries for 59 yards. Unlike the first two, didn't get a chance to see this one and he was playing against second teamers, but I been high on this guy for a year and would love to see him force his way into making this a legit QB battle in Seattle.

Cause we know 3 rookie QBs will be starters from day one (Luck, RGIII, Weeden), but Tannehill's strong first game could easily make that 4. And if Wilson keeps putting up lines like that, we may see 5 at some point in the season. Last year too 5 rookie QBs were or became starters as the season went on (Newton, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Dalton) with varying degrees of success. But Newton's season threatened to blow up the idea of first round rookie QBs sitting forever more and Dalton's season shows that even polished non-first round picks can potentially compete from day one in the modern NFL. There's the Aaron Rodgers route, sure, but it looks like a luxury that few if any rookie QBs will get going forward. Mallett and Osweiler get to be on that track but the rest need to look good from the first moment on or quickly get deemed disappointments.

They're all going to get relentlessly compared against not just each other but the example Newton set last year. Better believe I'm turning on preseason games involving any of these teams if I get the chance.

But Newton's season threatened to blow up the idea of first round rookie QBs sitting forever more and Dalton's season shows that even polished non-first round picks can potentially compete from day one in the modern NFL. There's the Aaron Rodgers route, sure, but it looks like a luxury that few if any rookie QBs will get going forward. Mallett and Osweiler get to be on that track but the rest need to look good from the first moment on or quickly get deemed disappointments.

They're all going to get relentlessly compared against not just each other but the example Newton set last year. Better believe I'm turning on preseason games involving any of these teams if I get the chance.

Cam's case is extremely unique--though I think you're right, no matter the intricacies involved everyone's going to point to Cam and say "SEEE??!!"

But really, Cam benefited from a strike year, wherein his first two or three live-action no BS NFL games were against defenses who had no idea what they were doing. Not saying Cam was a fluke AT ALL (Panther fan right here), but I don't doubt this really, really helped him get integrated into the NFL style so that by the time the defenses honestly got into playing shape there was little to no drop off.

Are we gonna end with somewhere around 10 great quarterbacks at once, like we're going to have to rethink how to define "franchise quarterback" or are some of these guys gonna flame out or decline as Brees, Brady and Manning retire?

I don't think we'll ever be in a situation where there are as many legit starters as there are franchises. It's just the nature of the NFL to be cruel to quarterbacks who aren't quite talented enough. Some of the young guys undoubtedly will not work out. If we were looking at only players currently in the NFL, and wanted to say who the great quarterbacks will be in 5 years, I would probably say: Rodgers, Stafford, Newton, Luck and Griffin. Am I wrong? Yes, undoubtedly, but that's the best guess I would make. Some of those guys won't work out and injuries could easily derail any of their careers, but all of those guys have the look of stars in the league.

It's a combination of things. The Bengals cut him after the 2010 season when they were in the process of gutting the entire team. Palmer wanted out. TO wasn't being resigned. They brought in a new offensive coordinator with a new offensive philosophy. Their first two draft picks were a new WR and a new QB. All of these things lead to a change in the dynamic of the team and they no longer wanted to be associated with the old. Chad could still play but he was a distraction and they wanted to start fresh with new leadership.

Chad then went to the Patriots where he failed to grasp the intricacies of their playbook. The NE offense is very much read and react and Chad isn't smart enough to pick up all the little nuances. He was constantly out of position and Brady is an intense guy who needs to have his WRs in the exact spot that he expects them. Chad was always a free lancer which pissed off Palmer at times so there was no way this was going to work.

In Miami, he looked good. ACtually, very good. Sure he dropped the one pass thrown his way in the preseason game but he was showing great quickness and the ability to get open. However, he's playing for a no nonsense coach in Joe Philbin and the cursing press conference, the interrupting of coaches meetings (as seen on Hard Knocks) and finally the domestic abuse was enough to cut him. They don't want the distractions; it's why they got rid of Brandon Marshall.

All that being said, he's still good enough to join a team somewhere but he's a liability these days in the locker room, especially with that ridiculous wife of his. She is destroying him and he's too nice to do anything about it. Chad has a great heart and she's exploiting that shit. I feel bad for him in that respect.

Wow, nice things to say about Chad... that's inspiring.

Are we gonna end with somewhere around 10 great quarterbacks at once, like we're going to have to rethink how to define "franchise quarterback" or are some of these guys gonna flame out or decline as Brees, Brady and Manning retire?

Ehh, I think that QB's are taking advantage of some new rules and changes to the core game, but defenses will catch up eventually. And there will be an undeniable drop-off when Brees, Brady, and Manning go. Rodgers will continue to light it up, and a few youngsters might step it up, but nothing like what we've seen recently.

In Colts news: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000049085/article/pat-angerer-of-indianapolis-colts-out-at-least-six-weeks?module=HP11_headline_stack

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Why? Why does it have to be the ONE highlight of the defense!?! Don't get me wrong, Freeney and Mathis are still wrecking it out there, but they're old and on the decline. Angerer, however, is young. And he's the best MLB we've had in years (Gary Brackett was good, but let's be honest). It's only 6 weeks, but this is a grim omen for my Colts. :(

Archived