Is Jaime going to become skilled with his left hand?

JaegrM

I think it's pretty clear he will become good enough. He has all the instincts, tact, and smarts to outfight an able opponent, but he needs to retrain himself so that he can fight without thinking. Given how much time we have left in the story I don't think we'll ever see him be a top tier swordsman, but I don't see why include the constant training and emphasis on his mechanics if he's just going to be forever hopeless against good fighters.

Knowing George he'll get really good and have to fight in single combat against a renowned swordsman, will come within a hair of winning, and then get stabbed in the back by a child.

I think it's beyond a doubt that he will. I think it will follow the arc of Meadros or Beren from the Silmarillion, or something like that (at least regarding their regaining and improving their skill after losing their sword hand). I'll be sort of disappointed if he doesn't. He's starting to grow on me, and I think before the end he will totally redeem himself and bring some honor back to the Lannister name. The biggest reason I think that is when he's reading the White Book, and says to himself he can write "whatever I choose" or something to that effect.

It's impossible he'll attain the level of proficiency he had as a right-hander: (one of) the best swordsman in Westeros. But he still has the element of surprise, thanks to keeping his practice with Ser Ilyn secret. Eventually, in some critical duel he seems to be losing he could suddenly switch the sword to the other hand, and his stunned opponent would probably not have time or poise to riposte. And if Jaime is lucky and does this in an unwitnessed duel, he can do it again. I don't think it will save him in the end, but GRRM might give him at least one shot at the new move.

That would indeed be impressive, since he only has the one hand...

I think it's beyond a doubt that he will. I think it will follow the arc of Meadros or Beren from the Silmarillion, or something like that (at least regarding their regaining and improving their skill after losing their sword hand). I'll be sort of disappointed if he doesn't. He's starting to grow on me, and I think before the end he will totally redeem himself and bring some honor back to the Lannister name. The biggest reason I think that is when he's reading the White Book, and says to himself he can write "whatever I choose" or something to that effect.

The scary thing is he says that after arguing with Cersei about not being public with their relationship.

I think he' become okay with his left hand. He'll never be as good with it as he was with his right. I don't think he'll have enough time to hone his skill with that hand. He had over thirty years of practice with his right hand, and only a book or two with his left.

Ok sorry for the threadjack BUT...

Didn't swordsmen of the past practice with their off hands?

There is every reason to believe your dominant hand might get wounded or even chopped off in combat and that the ability to at least defend yourself to some lesser extent off hand might mean life or death.

I practice shooting weak hand, reloading with mittens to simulate injury, etc.

I am not sure historically if they did that, but it seems logical.

My hope: no. I think it will downplay how good you have to be for 2 guys to become great that late in life with their off hand. QHH should be an exception, not a precedent.

My expectation: very slow, gradual improvement and then *click* moment where he suddenly gets it. Not as good as he was, but a tier or 2 below.

No, Jaime will become mediocre at best. Before Jamie lost his hand, he was a great swordsman, but a poor knight. *The loss of his swordhand has now made him humble. He'll never be the swordsman he was, Instead he'll become the knight he utterly failed at.

I never thought I'll see King Robert advocate for Jaime's comeuppance. :lol:

Archived