Asha Greyjoy's fate

David C. Hunter

I think Asha will get the Iron Isles. Its part of a trend in the series that was highlighted in Feast; the ladies are taking over. We've had Cersei running KL for awhile, with Margery poised to take her place. Dany has ceased tentative control in Slaver's bay, but I think she too is destined for the Iron Throne. We know that Arianne is supposed to get Dorne. Sansa seems poised to win the Riverlands (and/or possibly Winterfell). By the end of the series we may see half of the 7 kingdoms ruled by women, with a woman on the Iron Throne as well.

Good points but with two books (at least!) left in the series things could still change quite a bit. I have read that when imagining this series GRRM wanted to take his fantasy tale away from the romanticized story typically presented and show medieval society for the brutal unfair thing it actually was. Some of these prominent female characters will triumph and others will fail. I'm hoping that Cersei fails spectacularly.

Asha, on the other hand, is a character I want to see succeed in glorious fashion.

I like the idea of Asha convincing Stannis to get Theon to take the black (he has to be punished somehow, surely. Spared life for his work at the end saving Jeyne Pool and all). Maybe he meets Bran again. I don't like either of the Greyjoy siblings dying, but I'd rather it not be Asha (I havnt read the Theon sample yet). No idea what's in stall for her but she's in a prime storytelling position and as one of my favourite characters I eagerly await it. Like Davos I feel she's a character very deserving of a payoff.

Edit: though using Theon to pull a re-moot is a cool idea also and I do see this as more likely. Definitely not the end of her tale though, particularly if she relies on Southron support.

but I hope she doesn't die especially while the clown she calls brother lives.

Meh, if one of them has to die I rather it be her.

Seeing how IMHO Theon is one of the best written and compelling characters in the series, while she comes off extremely flat with the sole characterization being that she is "spunky."

Why do people hope Theon lives? He killed two little kids, their mother he had probably raped quite a few times, and the miller. Fuck him.

As for Asha, I think, regardless of what happens to Theon, she gets ransomed back to the Isles. Someone there will have enough money and will to get her back. That's if Stannis doesn't bit it and she escapes.

With Winter coming, I can't see Asha going far. I hope she does live, but don't really know where she'll be headed.

Theon. I think the little prick (even littler now) will survive into the last book. I think Bran will save him when (if) Stannis goes to kill him infront of a weirwood tree.

I got a strong suspicion that Stannis will die at Winterfell and that it will fall to Jon Snow to unite everybody at Winterfell against the Others.

Why do people hope Theon lives? He killed two little kids, their mother he had probably raped quite a few times, and the miller. Fuck him.

Because he fundamentally one of the most interesting characters in the book, similar to how people want Jaime and Sandor to live despite them both either killing or attempting to kill a child. Additionally, there is nothing that indicates that he raped the Miller's Wife only that he slept with her before.

Because he fundamentally one of the most interesting characters in the book, similar to how people want Jaime and Sandor to live despite them both either killing or attempting to kill a child. Additionally, there is nothing that indicates that he raped the Miller's Wife only that he slept with her before.

Well, that's presuming a married woman gave herself up to the hostage of her Lord, which I don't.

He might be interesting, that doesn't mean he needs to live much longer, there are theoretically only two books left and one of them will be a lot of war with undead. I also don't think Jaime should survive, or the Hound. I am grateful to the Hound for protecting Arya, helping her get vengeance and becoming yet another in a line of teachers imparting survival skills, but he rode down and chopped a little kid in half. Jaime can be hanged by the BwB in the prologue for all I care, as amusing as he is he still threw a boy out a window and murdered some North men in KL and later admitted that he would have killed Arya had he found her.

Well, that's presuming a married woman gave herself up to the hostage of her Lord, which I don't.

Yes, one cannot image why a poor peasant women might be interested in the handsome and charming heir of a Lord Paramount. Moreover, I am sure Ned "honor before common sense" Stark would allow his ward to freely go around raping his small folk.

Actually, if all those men that Aeron drowned and brought back are not completely back and go postal when the Others cross the wall, and if all those burial at sea bodies come ashore at that time, then nobody on the Iron Islands are safe. It may well be that Asha and Theon may well be the only people left except for those out at sea. I hope Roderik the Reader takes a trip down to Oldtown and the Citadel to look at those found pages of the Targaryen seer.

If this does come to pass then Asha and her men may survive since otherwise a whole culture is wiped out - lousy as it is. As least Asha would reform it.

It won't.

Asha had some cousins from a distant branch with her, and there could be more.

But the main branch will be extinct. GRRM said there are a few Stark branches in Barrowtown and other places in the North, yet when Robb died and Rikcon and Bran are believed to be dead, House Stark is considered to be extinguished.

I know some people don't want Asha to die, but we didn't want Ned to die either and he still lost his head.

I know people don't want Asha to die, but we didn't want Ned to die either and he still lost his head.

Some want her to die and others don't. Regardless, there has been heavy foreshadowing for the last two books that she has a major (and specific) role to play in the future politics of the Iron Islands, and at least from the "Chekhov's gun" perspective, I expect that she will eventually get to play that role.

Bumping this...

Asha is the only Greyjoy I like/care about. She's honestly one of my favorite characters in the series. I don't have a lot of strong opinions about her fate, however. I just hope that she makes it to the end of the series alive. I would be very happy if she buries an ax in Ramsay's brain pan in retribution for his mutilation of Theon, but I'm not holding my breath.

The only thing I feel strongly about is that she is currently pregnant with Qarl the Maid's child, conceived on the night the Ironborn lost Deepwood Motte. GRRM including her thinking about the need to brew some moon tea after their escapades and then never getting the chance is a Checkov's gun to me. If she's even noticed her lack of bleeding, it could easily be attributed to the meager rations Stannis' camp are eating. I think that baby might even save her life, if the cry for her head grows louder among his men. I don't think Stannis would execute a pregnant woman. By the time she'd give birth, he may find a better use for her or no longer have the chance to do it.

l see it, l ship it.

Some want her to die and others don't. Regardless, there has been heavy foreshadowing for the last two books that she has a major (and specific) role to play in the future politics of the Iron Islands, and at least from the "Chekhov's gun" perspective, I expect that she will eventually get to play that role.

There has been heavier foreshadowing that she will die.

They (Qarl and Asha) spent the night devouring peaches and each other

Peaches are for ASOIAF, what oranges are for the Godfather trilogy.

"Marriage is not for you," Theon decided. "When I rule, I believe I will pack you off to the silent sisters."

The silent sisters are charged with attending the dead.

As evidenced by the name of her last POV, "The Sacrifice", yet she isn't being sacrificed or even considered as one. Her death may be used by BR to revive Jon.

Meh, if one of them has to die I rather it be her.

Seeing how IMHO Theon is one of the best written and compelling characters in the series, while she comes off extremely flat with the sole characterization being that she is "spunky."

I agree Theon is very well written, but his time to go has been long overdue.

I agree Theon is very well written, but his time to go has been long overdue.

I disagree I believe he still needs to rise harder and stronger.

Especially, as how we have been hearing that line multiple times in connection to the Ironborn yet never witness it in action, and he fits the first half perfectly in how everyone thought he was dead but he never died.

Archived