Favorite Quotes 2

mcbigski

eta: formatting

"People do terrible things to one another when it all falls apart Slade.

But it's always the same things.

That's what makes our job easier."

-The Filth

"My parents...they weren't nice either. Not very nice at all."

"How did you -"

"-Become a stripper? Every date wants to know that."

"No. How did you...How did you keep your kindness?"

-Secret Six

"The dead man’s death gives us the essential primitive experience, access to the other world, which is not without warning or noise but which is without the loss of our birthplace. So it gives us everything, it gives us the end of the world; to be human we need to experience the end of the world. We need to lose the world, to lose a world, and to discover that there is more than one world and that the world isn’t what we think it is. Without that, we know nothing about the mortality and immortality we carry. We don’t know we’re alive as long as we haven’t encountered death: these are banalities that have been erased. And it is an act of grace.”

— Helene Cixous

"I just needed time alone, with my own thoughts

Got treasures in my mind but couldn't open up my own vault

My child-like creativity, purity and honesty is honestly being crowded by these grown thoughts

Reality is catching up with me, taking my inner child I'm fighting for custody

With these responsibilities that they entrust in me..."

-Kanye West, Power

• 3 weeks later...

"You ever heard of the masada? For two years held their own against 15, 000 roman soldiers.

They chose death before enslavement.

And the romans, where are they now?"

"You're lookin' at'em, asshole."

-Sopranos

“It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.”

- Morpheus, The Kindly Ones by Neil Gaiman

“Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own; sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction.”

-William James

"If you have to look along the shaft of an arrow from the wrong end, if a man has you at his mercy, then hope like hell that man is an evil man. Because the evil like power, power over people, and they want to see you in fear. They want you to know you are going to die. So they'll talk. They'll gloat. They'll watch you squirm. They'll put off the murder like another man will put off a good cigar. So hope like hell your captor is an evil man. A good man will kill you with hardly a word."

- Terry Pratchett

“Only an animal does useful things. An animal gets food, finds a place to sleep, tries to keep comfortable. But I wanted to do something that was not useful, not like an animal at all. Something only a human being would do.”

- Gerard d’Aboville

You lied to her.

No. I told her a story.

Shit! You sound just like your dad.

Actually I was thinking of something...my mother said. That most

times, the truth is like a close-up conjuring trick. You can look

straight at something and think you're seeing the truth of it. But

really, you're seeing what someone else wants you to see.

So FUCK the truth. We don't know where it is, and we probably won't

know it when we see it. She just chose the story she needs right now.

The story that keeps her standing. That's probably all any of us get to do.

-the Unwritten # 17: The Many Lives of Lizzie Hexam

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent." - Thomas Jefferson. Have it on my computer at work. Show it to those reluctant to give a witness statement from time to time.

"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against those dark rulers, dark authorities, dark powers around us, and the forces of evil in the heavenly realm." Ephesians 6:12. Barracks mate had a poster of this on the wall when I was in the military. Loved it in my youth.

“But we have to pass the [health care] bill so that you can find out what's in it. - Nancy Pelosi. Still cracks me up and astonishes me.

..almost forgot...

"Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their laws, we lie." - Simonides of Ceos' epitaph regarding the Spartans at Thermopylae. Another favorite quote from my military days.

"Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their laws, we lie." - Simonides of Ceos' epitaph regarding the Spartans at Thermopylae. Another favorite quote from my military days.

And a favourite of mine from my classical days. There's just something about this translation that won't go away. That is boastful and regretful at the same time.

Another favourite quotation of mine:

If equal affection cannot be

Let the more loving one be me.

(Auden, The More Loving One)

"We don't have the parts to fix that so that can't be the problem. Find something else wrong and fix it."

Direct quote from an idiot supervisor I once worked under.

I don't know the exact situation, but out of context there IS some deep wisdom there. :)

I don't know the exact situation, but out of context there IS some deep wisdom there. :)

There was some deep stupidity there also. The margins are too small for all the marvelous stories I could tell.

There was some deep stupidity there also. The margins are too small for all the marvelous stories I could tell.

Your bosses' quote reminded me of this:

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

The courage to change the things I can,

And wisdom to know the difference."

Love is a lot like a good memory.

When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all you think about. And you can focus on it and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient and hold still, maybe, just maybe, it'll come to you.

- Red vs Blue: Revelation

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Love that quote Theda.

"So you had this opportunity to help this patient see the truth. But you chose instead to perpetuate his denial. Why?"

"How would he be better off thinking of his sister in the ground somewhere instead of thinking her free, liberated, waiting for him?

Explain to me what exactly is so great about seeing reality for what it is?"

-Awake, Season 1 Episode 6

[missed the word me]

"When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him." - Jonathan Swift

Imagination is the real and eternal world of which this vegetable universe is but a faint shadow

William Blake

You say I resemble a flower; I partly agree; My brain is governed by black petals of burnt daisies

Anne Sexton

Heh, you're definitely on a roll, but how about a quote from Transmetropolitan? ;-)

Archived