Has Tyrion already encountered Drogon?

RadSam

Bat seems likely. And didn't Bran see giant, fossilized bats hanging in the crow cave?

edit:

ah, skeletons of bats:

As Hodor he explored the caves. He found chambers full of bones, shafts that plunged deep into the earth, a place where the skeletons of gigantic bats hung upside down from the ceiling.

What would the wings of a harpy sound like? Seems he's in the right area of the world to encounter one if they exist.

Though the emphasis on 'leathery' would suggest a dragon. Doesn't Drogon go missing for awhile before showing up in one of her last POVs? Or is that too late for these events to be related?

It would just be kind of exciting, but kind of sad, to think that Tyrion had already encountered a dragon but didn't know it.

I lean more towards it being sad, because to me it was just Tyrion having dragons on the brain so much that he keeps seeing signs wherever he looks, just catching what he thinks are glimpses, the ships sail whipping slightly from a wind.

It's very much the same way that his sister keeps thinking he's lurking in every shadow.

could be foreshadowing of tyrion being one of the heads of the dragon. maybe he will ride viserion? this is the scene that he falls into the river and doesn't get greyscale like joncon does, so maybe he's immune to disease like dany. that is said to be a targ trait i believe.

Where does it say that Dany is immune to greyscale? I didn't see it anywhere. I think you mean immune to fire, which has been disproven.

If Tyron is not Tywin's son it would destroy one of the best dynamics of the books.

Also there are much better events that could foreshadow that he will ride a dragon, such as his dreams of dragons, and his interest in them, and the fact that he had a special saddle made for a horse, so he could have one made for a dragon.

Where does it say that Dany is immune to greyscale? I didn't see it anywhere. I think you mean immune to fire, which has been disproven.

If Tyron is not Tywin's son it would destroy one of the best dynamics of the books.

Also there are much better events that could foreshadow that he will ride a dragon, such as his dreams of dragons, and his interest in them, and the fact that he had a special saddle made for a horse, so he could have one made for a dragon.

I think I heard somewhere the Targs are immune to more common ailments like The Pale Mare. Could be totally wrong though of course.

Though it is a fantasy story in real life a bat would evade fog. The echolocation it uses would be totally useless when there is fog, even us humans experience the dampening effect fog has on sound.

I also doubt it is a dragon seen the distance between the locations. Most logical would be the psychological effect of Tyrion having dragons on his mind all the time, therefore "seeing" them wherever he looks.

• 8 months later...

I never said she was immune to greyscale i said its been mentioned that some targs are immune to disease like the pale mare etc. You can definitely disprove it with the fact that during the great spring sickness a bunch of targs died, but I was just trying to connect dots idc if they are immune to disease or not.

As far as the dynamic between Tyrion and Tywin goes I think it makes their dynamic even more complex. Its nature vs nuture. He is like Tywin because Tywin raised him to be a Lannister, not because he has his blood. Also it means that Jaime killed his father and he killed Jaime's = fuckin awesome

Could be the gray prince, or a corrupted dragon, if the Valyrians sacked the city it is always possible that a dragon cot cursed with a smiler thing to grayscale?

That’s basically my (crackpot) hope as well.

There’s no indication of size in Tyrion’s half-seen encounter, so leaving the door open on larger creatures for the moment…

Perhaps there is a fourth dragon, or a wyvern, or some other “great beast” that’s contracted greyscale, being that it was spotted near the Sorrows.

This would tie in neatly with Dany’s HOTU vision from the “slayer of lies” triplet: "From a smoking tower, a great stone beast took wing breathing shadow fire."

Of course, we won’t have seen the tower (or the shadow fire) yet, as this would be a vision of the future... But an actual “stone” beast – possibly even a “false dragon” – that Dany has to slay would make for an excellent obstacle late in the series. After all, a bunch of wights in a field seem like "cannon fodder" for dragons, IMO, so giving the dragons an aerial nemesis would be a lot of fun...

I think we can also note that the word “leathery” is frequently used to describe dragons in flight in the series, FWIW.

And another fun potential “Easter egg” is that Hazzea was killed when she was four… which could later be revealed as a very subtle literal clue that there were indeed four dragons all along. Further, what if she wasn't actually killed by Drogon? I realize her father says "it were the black one," but we didn't see the event happen... so might "favorably" conclude that Hazzea being killed by a different dragon is an interesting possibility to consider.

Finally, in TPATQ:

It’s revealed that

four dragons survived the DOTD – Sheepstealer, Silverwing, Cannibal, and a fourth one yet to be named (according to Ran). And while we don’t know the dragons' complete history (post DOTD), we also haven’t confirmed all of their deaths yet, so I’m on the hopeful lookout for a dragon that may have fled Westeros 170ish years ago, maybe even a wild dragon like Cannibal. Such a beast might live long enough to be the size of Balerion before he died, which would make for a badass adversary for Dany and her own (much smaller) dragons.

In any event, I’m leaving the door open for a more “interesting” answer than Drogon, a bat, or some other random creature we’ll never hear from again…

I'm inclined to think that this has something to do with Tyrion's perceptiveness or sensitivity, so to speak. along the lines of green dreaming or being able to sense things in the past. It sounds similar to Tyrion's experience at Winterfell when he hears the wolf's howling and is transported to the dark forest of the mind, running naked ahead of the pack. Dragons may be tied to the Sorrows in some way. Something that Tyrion picks up as an echo of the past.

Archived