Orphan Black - BBCA

~ZombieWife~

This show is absolutely amazing. I have no idea if they're building towards a closed season or a cliffhanger, but this needs to be picked up, NOW.

The main actress is out of this world. I have no idea what kind of work she did to differentiate between her aliases, but whatever it was, it works flawlessly. The mix between tension and humor is spot on. I like several of the secondary characters as well - the foster brother is a given, but Vic, Mrs. S and others really contribute as well.

Great to finally have a new show to look forward to after so much crap over the last half year.

I am in awe of the lead actress in this, Tatiana Maslany. Holy shit. The more characters she gets to play, the more she seems to relish the challenge and excel at it. I honestly don't think I've ever seen the one actor/multiple roles trope done so well. Could we go back and fire Noomi Rapace so that Maslany can do Prometheus, please? Fuck it, having her play ALL the roles in Prometheus would go a long way towards redeeming it. Fassbender and Idris Elba can stay. I guess.

And credit where credit is due; Feelix is an Fing riot! I think it says a lot about this show that the audience stand in, the guy who asks the necessary plot questions, is pretty flamboyantly gay. They're taking chances and showing some balls with that (well, not literally showing balls, but basically everything else) and yet Feelix doesn't come across as a "statement" character to me. He just seems real. It helps, too, that he gets all the greatest lines. "Later, dragsters!" :lol:

I can't wait to see how this season turns out. I agree that something has to be up with Ms. S. They made a point of implying that Sarah is (so far) the only one who can have children, so her daughter has to be important, and Ms. S. is tied up with all of that. I'm predicting right now a scene where Kira finds one of those black rings in Ms. S.'s jewelry box or something.. it will happen.

first post, woot

Can she have children? They've been cagey about it, imo. Allison asks her outright whether Kira is adopted, and Sarah's response could definitely be mined for a defensive beat, imo - or not. I think it's still up in the air whether Kira is biologically hers.

Doesn't make much sense if Kira isn't her biological daughter. She doesn't strike me as someone who would (get to) adopt a daughter, and I believe it's unlikely that Kira is the daughter of a former boyfriend that somehow got stuck with Sarah after the breakup (she seems to attach to a girl that appear to have spent most of her life being taken care of by Mrs. S).

I think theres more Kira backstory to be discovered, and I don't think it's as simple as, "well, I had a baby once." Not that that necessarily means she's not her biological daughter, just that I doubt they'll leave it at that. (I wish they would leave it at that, but this is turning into one of those shows where everything ever is connected and always has been, after all, so I figure theres no hope of that.)

Well, we don't know who Kira's father is. I almost wonder if Kira was implanted in Sarah (test tube baby). We'll see. Definitely intriguing.

Could we go back and fire Noomi Rapace so that Maslany can do Prometheus, please? Fuck it, having her play ALL the roles in Prometheus would go a long way towards redeeming it. Fassbender and Idris Elba can stay. I guess.

I'd be all over that. :)

I got the impression that Kira's existence was to clue is into that Sarah wasn't actually a clone but the original. I also think that the "angry angel" might actually be her twin, unless she was just being bleedingly obvious when she said they had a connection. That would make the whole "who's the original" plot line a bit more original.

... Sarah's response could definitely be mined for a defensive beat, imo - or not.

Was there a beat there? I'll have to watch again. So much stuff happens in this show, sometimes I miss nuances. I sincerely agree that it would be great if Kira was just Sarah's daughter, no crazy backstory necessary. I think part of the reason why their reunion when Sarah picks her up from school was so affecting was it's normalcy. But yeah, judging by how things have gone so far, Kira is likely the culmination of some cold war super soldier program or an alien Hitler or something.

I got the impression that Kira's existence was to clue is into that Sarah wasn't actually a clone but the original. I also think that the "angry angel" might actually be her twin...

That's good, I like that. The crazy blonde one (I think her name is Ilenya?), maybe her task is to kill off all the clones that can't have children? That would explain why she didn't just stab Sarah to death when she had the chance. She's got to find out if she's even supposed to kill her. Especially if she's looking for the original. So far it's looking like Allison and Beth are/were pretty much confirmed to be infertile. We don't know about that German one (although she didn't seem too healthy to put it mildly) or Cosima.

Speaking of her, damn hell, Cosima! They create the ultimate, archetypal Nerd Girlfriend of my dreams and then make her a lesbian. That's cruel, but I'll find a way to suffer through her kissing that french chick. Should be tough.

Was she definitely a lesbian? I sort of got that impression but wasn't sure if that was just wishful thinking on my part :P

Also what does that mean for the whole clone thing? I mean genetics does play a large role in your sexuality, though I guess initial predispositions are just that - predispositions.

Also what does that mean for the whole clone thing? I mean genetics does play a large role in your sexuality, though I guess initial predispositions are just that - predispositions.

Not much, given that there's plenty of identical twins where only one is gay. That's not how genetics works - a predisposition is not deterministic.

Not much, given that there's plenty of identical twins where only one is gay. That's not how genetics works - a predisposition is not deterministic.

Eh my mistake, but like I said a predisposition is just a predisposition.

I still need to catch up on the most recent episode.

Do we know whether all the clones really are identical (in the sense of their entire genome hasn't been sequenced so their could be the odd difference)? The experiment could have been tampering with behaviour too by altering genes believed to affect behaviour. I suspect it is more a case of nature vs nurture though as that's less complicated and in many ways more interesting.

The show is interesting enough so far. The actress is doing an excellent job at making all the clones unique.I was especially impressed at how she managed to play soccer mum playing main character - that takes a lot of skill. It has me wishing if they have a male counterpart in the clones they should get Enver Gjokaj (victor from "dollhouse") on board as he was great at playing multiple parts well, Then again the male version could be her with one less X chromosome and a Y thrown in.

Shame about the fingerprint mistake - that's something that is easily googleable and undermines the genetics expert clone somewhat. It'd have been forgiveable with one of the other clones.

I suspect there must be an older original version of her out there somewhere - especially if the person who created her was an egomaniac.

It hasn't been established that Cosima is definitely a lesbian, it's just been hinted at really. She certainly shut down that dude in the lab with alacrity. To be fair, he didn't exactly make any kind of decent pass at her. Cosima's preference is clearly the most important plot point to me, at the moment.

We also don't know for sure yet that the clones are genetically identical. Whoever put together that briefcase with all the blood samples probably does though. I wonder where the German got it from. Allison and Cosima obviously know more about that than they've told Sarah, since they've been trying to get their hands on it.

I kind of hope, but at the same time don't that Felix turns out to be Sarah's monitor, just because it would be so shocking. But then I really like Fe, so I'd be kind of sad to see him be evil.

I think there have been a few hints towards it though. I mean I was a little disturbed at his behaviour in the morgue. Obviously he knew it wasn't Sarah's corpse but what kind of guy is able to flirt with people when he's looking at a battered corpse identical to his foster-sister?

It's difficult to believe it would be Felix, since they grew up together since very young. Fostered with Mrs. S around 6 years old was it, and then immigrated to Canada at 8? Perhaps she'll get paranoid and suspect him, but it would be dumb if it were true.

Archived