[TV/Book Spoilers] TWoP Unsullied Thread Part 4

The Anti-Targ

I don't put much stead in some of the Unsullied's reactions, a fair few of them just seem too squeemish to watch anything remotely gruesome. I am aware that some of them are genuinely just not interested in the lack of progression in his storyline though, I can sympathise, it has began to stagnate. But I've found other arcs within the show more boring than this one, it's keeping my attention and it's a short part of each episode it's in. I just wish they'd included more mention of the other Greyjoys or explicitly shown them.

It could be argured that being short changed on screen time has directly lead to some of those arcs being boring.

Oh and I laughed that Joffrey was actually RIGHT to worry about what Dany's up to, and Tywin pooh pooh'd him. Might this come back to bite them?

I'm sureit would, if they had any chance of living past Season 4. But yeah, and interesting irony that the idiot boy has the right of it whereas teh wise and venerable Tywin is way off base.

The Unsullied represent a pretty niche segment of the non-readers, in that they watch with an eye for analysis. I'm semi-interested in what it is about this particular group of non-readers that so many here find all that interesting... Sure, some of them are very astute, but a lot of the time the nose is hit on the head a little too closely... In terms of their general reactions, I've found a few sources that seem to have more genuinely emotional reactions to the proceedings (again, as opposed to the more analytic reactions of some of the posters at TWoP), and where the non-readers don't seem to have the foresight of the three-eyed raven.

Frey didn't ally with Robb in the show, the Starks never took two wards and Bolton didn't marry (yet)

Actually, part of the deal to cross the bridge included all of Frey's men except 400 that Frey kept back to guard the bridge (S01E09).

Theon's torture chamber I'm actually starting to enjoy. There's something impressively insistent about his scenes, they're not merely different scenes hammering the same point in - they're the same scene. Yes I do think we're supposed to be inside his head and go slightly mad at the same horribly psychological and physical games being repeated over and over and over. He'll come out of it as a Gollum creature to be sure!

See they don't all hate Theon's story arc. And I agree with TomBadgerlock, it wouldn't make sense to viewers if Theon had been missing for a whole season or we didn't find out what had happened to him. With this latest episode I finally saw the Theon as Reek. He finally had the fear of God in him the second he was unchained.

As for the torture, it's nothing compared to the New French Extremity films. I think the books are far more gruesome.

The Unsullied represent a pretty niche segment of the non-readers, in that they watch with an eye for analysis. I'm semi-interested in what it is about this particular group of non-readers that so many here find all that interesting... Sure, some of them are very astute, but a lot of the time the nose is hit on the head a little too closely... In terms of their general reactions, I've found a few sources that seem to have more genuinely emotional reactions to the proceedings (again, as opposed to the more analytic reactions of some of the posters at TWoP), and where the non-readers don't seem to have the foresight of the three-eyed raven.

Your post would have been interesting. Had it been honest. When I first glanced at your post earlier today, I thought.. cool, a new angle.. why do we find the Unsullied interesting, hyper-analytical as they are? A good new discussion to be had! Then, went about my day ,gave your post some thought, and now came back to sit down and discuss. But then, I read your post again. And, again. And found..? Bummer. Not an actual interesting intellectual question at all. Just another allegedly-clever way to accuse some Unsullied of being bookwalkers. sigh... I had hopes. But, no. Just another snitch, alas. And that really disappointed me--I've seen your posts in many other threads, enjoyed them, you're smart, confrontational, analytical yourself. Truly looked forward to a discussion about why we enjoy the Unsullied's hyper-analysis. But it was not to be, here you are...

Sure, some of them are very astute, but a lot of the time the nose is hit on the head a little too closely (You, cleverly accusing bookwalkers, while trying to get around our Mods rules not to do that. sigh...)

where the non-readers don't seem to have the foresight of the three-eyed raven. (You, cleverly accusing bookwalkers, while trying to get around our Mods rules not to do that. sigh...)

I've never understood people on this board's... glee, in trotting from that site to this to out suspected bookwalkers. Like, what? Nobody else is smart enough to see them? We've all read the books, we can all clearly see bookwalkers when they crop up. And we see them disappear when the smart TWoP Mods ban them. Its none of our business. This thread is not in the silly snitch business, we're in the observing genuine Unsullied business. That is all.

We who love this thread love the point-by-point analysis of the genuine Unsullied, who listen to every word, watch every eye movement, every twitching hand and side glance, remember every word the character said from two seasons ago. We enjoy the very smart analysis. Not the snitching on the cheats. That's stupid kid stuff.

iheartseverus,

I don't think people find glee in outting so-called 'unsullied' who have obviously been spoiled in some way or another (not necessarily bookwalkers). Those who enjoy reading truly unsullied posters are merely pointing out that those who are spoiled are pushing the real unsullied in the right direction and thus tainting their analysis by providing them with 'spitballs

iheartseverus,

I don't think people find glee in outting so-called 'unsullied' who have obviously been spoiled in some way or another (not necessarily bookwalkers). Those who enjoy reading truly unsullied posters are merely pointing out that those who are spoiled are pushing the real unsullied in the right direction and thus tainting their analysis by providing them with 'spitballs

True, and thank you. But my point was, don't bring it here, period. Our Mods will not tolerate 'gossip' about another site. That's all. They will shut us down. They've done it before, they'll do it again. Whether 'spoiled' members are pushing 'unspoiled' members at another site is--not our business. This thread is only to observe the true Unsullied's reactions to the show. If 'those who are spoiled are pushing the real unsullied in the right direction' its not our business.

iheartseverus,

Exactly this. I'm not interested in playing coy about the intention of my original post, but where you see snark, I see a missed opportunity. I think that it's because of their analytic approach to the source material that we all find their conversations so interesting in the first place. Unfortunately, all too often they are cleverly steered in the right direction, which makes the entire enterprise lesser as a result. I'll say no more on the subject, though. I know a lot of people enjoy this thread (I do myself), and I don't want to ruin it for anyone, but the private message function doesn't seem to be working, so...

I find that I don't enjoy the unsullied as much anymore. Early on they threw out all kinds of spitballs and crazy interesting and clever posts together that were worthy of professional writers. I find the more right they are the less interesting they are. Honestly the last ten pages of that thread has basically spelled out what going to happen in the series and even things that a speculated heavily on here now. And as that has happened the clever and punny posts have kind of been on the downswing. When they do get something right the rationale tends to be so perfect that they can't help but accept it. I guess thats a credit to the show that you can figure the stuff out, but I liked it better when they are wrong. I can't even really think of a surprise in the series they haven't figured out yet. I guess noone has predicted how Joffrey is going die.

Case in point of the Unsullied being not representative of general viewership.

The average viewer will not invest any time or mental energy into trying to figure out the different aliases for gods.

Yeah I found that conversation really weird. They were upset that the LOL was the red g-d. Who cares? While I am up and down on Theon scenes there is a difference b/t not likeing a scene and a scene being useless. Many of them are still under the impression that Theon isn't a major character, which makes their opinion sort of moot. And they aren't the only ones. I'm surprised by the number of bookreaders who don't really appreciate that Theon is a major character.

I seem to enjoy the unsullied thread less because of their hyperanalysis (which I think is a worthy topic of discussion, not that other thing). They now seem to have come to a state where they "complain" about the show much in a way the other posters on this board do (compare f.e. the lenghts of the negative and positive nitpick threads). Some unsullied for example need Theon's story to have a payoff at the end, they can't 'enjoy' these scenes as a character study and good television anymore. Or the Red God vs. Lord of Light discussion. Where the show treats that as 'background flavour' and the 'normal casual' viewer probably didn't even notice the differences in wording. I can't remember if I did in the books, I don't think I did. [On that topic, it's a pity that they didn't get that Jaqen was playing a persona (of a Lorathi Rhollor believer), the show hasn't established he's from Braavos, right?]

I bet the unsullied will grow to like the season more when they are rewatching it later this summer. It seems clear to me that Game of Thrones is supposed to be binge or marathon watched, 2-4 episodes at a time. Because I fear, that their "hyper-analyzing" (and being totally unspoiled, even on the maps and bluray extras which are supposed to help you get the show after all) is making them enjoy the show less as a 'visual' medium and B) that they are putting too much focus on certain small details that may be oversights by the producers. Of course, that is why they are a good 'quality assessment' of the episodes (but not the tv show alltogether), so again... But still, some seem to label certain scenes as "boring" or "I don't want to watch that" (re Theon), and I think that misses the whole point of the tv show. You need to sit back and let the show lead you, instead of sitting by with pen and paper for the analysis. Or is that just me that enjoys tv more like this?

oh wow

If a relatively small city like Yungkai has 200k slaves, this is a mass slavery society for sure (Rome, being much bigger than Yungkai, had 400k slaves at maximum). I will assume that essentially all kinds of actual work is done by slaves here. That will it make very, very difficult to "free" them without completely destroy the social and economical structure.

So, in a real world, if SWNMNBM manages to free the slaves, most of them die within six months. Luckily her arc is rather fantastical, sometimes good (DRAGONS!), sometimes bad (villains still being successful even after they donated their brains) and I almost expect that the show will play the "slavery = bad, therefore freeing slaves = good" card as straight as it played the "rob the arms dealer with his own weapons" trope. I will not invest too much thought into anything in her arc at all ...

Exactly. And if Dany did conquer all kingdoms and rule Westeros, she would find the same practical nightmare. Most existing societies would not want to completely reorder what they have grown up with. She's literally trying to upend the world and change it, overnight, almost. She cannot free every slave without having some economic genius at the ready with a plan, or better yet, implement that plan as part of the transition. However ethically simple it is to her to decide, logistically it's a nightmare.

Archived