Quaithe's Prophecy and Why do you think she's helping Daenerys?

well Bloodraven said you can't effect things from the past, so...

I dunno why i'm using rationale against your crackpot, it's a pretty silly one :huh:

It is pretty silly I know ... coming to think of it I am not sure why I posted it ;) I won't get on the debate about Bloodraven's powers or anything like that.

Quaithe is someone we have already heard tales about, her real identity, possibly the same for Mel. Quaithe seems personally interested in seeing Dany get to Westeros. We will have to wait and see who she is if GRRM ever reveals her identity.

Yeah except Martin uses a period there, not a Semicolon, but Others is not capitalized. I call this a tease.

Oh yah I get what you're saying - the Others have been active of late, so Quaithe would be accurate on that part. Prophecising is so mysterious...and I like all the possible interpretations! So interesting.

Quaithe in that prophecy mentioned everyone who we know that is trying to reach Dany but he didn't mentioned Marwyn. Is it means that he failed somehow in his quest or he is not threat to Dany or something else?

She mentioned him indirectly. They must be in touch via Glass Candles.

The real question; Is Quaithe truly helping Dany ?

Very good question.

For instance, we know that Quentyn, the sun's son, was coming with an offer that was 100% legit and in good faith, and very, very beneficial to Daenerys. Yet Quaithe warned Dany not to trust him.

She may be poisoning Dany against potential allies.

Very good question.

For instance, we know that Quentyn, the sun's son, was coming with an offer that was 100% legit and in good faith, and very, very beneficial to Daenerys. Yet Quaithe warned Dany not to trust him.

She may be poisoning Dany against potential allies.

That's a good point, unless Quaithe is referring to the underlying scheme of revenge against the Lannisters, where we might argue that the Martells are acting predominantly in their own interest and not Dany's. However, I do believe that Quaithe has motives of her own and definitely not acting in Dany's best interest, because if she did, she wold have given her hard data, not some mystical confusing mumbo jumbo.

• 2 months later...

The more I think about Quaithe, the more I can't shake the feeling that she has a personal connection to Dany. The other two Helpful Prophetic People, Mel and Moqorro, have pretty clear political motives. They each are serving the Red God and also believe they have found AA reborn, and are clearly trying to be important people in the AA entourage.

But Quaithe doesn't seem to be getting anything out of her relationship to Dany. And unless she can read minds, she has reason to think that none of the people who have/will approach Meereen (Tyrion and Quentyn included) do not truly have Dany's best interest at heart. Since all the other prophets we've met have been falible, I feel pretty certain that Quaithe is on Dany's side but can't read minds and/or doesn't see the future very well, just the past/present (which I think makes sense if she's using the glass candles).

Now I'm racking my brain to figure out what person from Dany or the Targ family's past might have washed up in Asshai and become a masked shadowbinder. (I'm not considering Ashara, we should leave that poor woman alone.)

Now I'm racking my brain to figure out what person from Dany or the Targ family's past might have washed up in Asshai and become a masked shadowbinder. (I'm not considering Ashara, we should leave that poor woman alone.)

thing is, the exact phrasing of the words "then or now" in that particular order only shows up two times, once said by Arthur Dayne, once by ..Quaithe. Coincidence? Probably.

Quaithe: to go forward you must go back.

Dany (many times): if I look back, I am lost.

Somewhat inherent contradiction (despite "go" =\= "look"). We know enough about Tyrion (and GRRMs personal feelings toward him) to assume that he doesn't mean Dany any harm. Yet Quaithe cryptically warns her to not trust the lion, or really anyone else but her.

My theory, unsubstantiated as it is, is that Quaithe's guidance will lead to Dany becoming the other major villain in the story.

I don't buy the theory that Quaite is Ashara. But it feels like a crackpot kind of day so I will expand on it for the sake of amusement.

In another thread, I think the latest GNC, there was some talk of a communication method between Greywater Watch and the other northern lords. Ravens can't fly to and from Greywater Watch, so what if the alternate form of communication is glass candles?

It's a fairly common theory that Ashara is in Greywater Watch with Howland and she is Meera and Jojen's mother. Perhaps she is there and astral projecting to Dany and the northern lords and she is giving Jojen his green dreams.

Why is she helping Dany? I don't know. It is after all an extreme crackpot. She could be trying to bring her down by making her paranoid like her daddy. It could be that she is trying to help in order to have her get the Lannisters out. Then she can use her astral projection to convince her to let the north remain independent.

Did I give good crackpot?

I don't buy the theory that Quaite is Ashara. But it feels like a crackpot kind of day so I will expand on it for the sake of amusement.

In another thread, I think the latest GNC, there was some talk of a communication method between Greywater Watch and the other northern lords. Ravens can't fly to and from Greywater Watch, so what if the alternate form of communication is glass candles?

It's a fairly common theory that Ashara is in Greywater Watch with Howland and she is Meera and Jojen's mother. Perhaps she is there and astral projecting to Dany and the northern lords and she is giving Jojen his green dreams.

Why is she helping Dany? I don't know. It is after all an extreme crackpot. She could be trying to bring her down by making her paranoid like her daddy. It could be that she is trying to help in order to have her get the Lannisters out. Then she can use her astral projection to convince her to let the north remain independent.

Did I give good crackpot?

yes, definitely :bowdown:

1. Quaithe mentions the people coming to Meereen in Daenerys II. That's way before Victarion or Moqorro set off. So either the kraken is Euron and the black flame is someone else, or she can indeed see into the future. And if so, why no mention of Marwyn?

2. The perfumed seneschal can be anything from Reznak or the Selaesori Qhoran to Varys or Illyrio or even Garth Tyrell. Though I personally believe it's Illyrio.

3. I strongly doubt she's in Dany's side, though not necessarily wants to do her harm; more like using her as one would use a dragon in cyvasse.

We first saw Quaithe along with Pyat Pree and Xaro, when the three were pursuing the rumors of Dany and her dragons. Pyat Pree and Xaro had their own ulterior motives, and I don't see why Quaithe couldn't be any different. Quaithe seems to know the magic and lore of having dragons back in the world, and she seems to thrive off that magic. Surely, Quaithe wouldn't want the dragons to die, should the magic vanish once more. Perhaps magic only gets stronger as the dragons become stronger.

"To touch the light.." always sounded a bit foreboding to me, in the way that death is oft portrayed as a light at the end of a tunnel.

1. Quaithe mentions the people coming to Meereen in Daenerys II. That's way before Victarion or Moqorro set off. So either the kraken is Euron and the black flame is someone else, or she can indeed see into the future. And if so, why no mention of Marwyn?

2. The perfumed seneschal can be anything from Reznak or the Selaesori Qhoran to Varys or Illyrio or even Garth Tyrell. Though I personally believe it's Illyrio.

3. I strongly doubt she's in Dany's side, though not necessarily wants to do her harm; more like using her as one would use a dragon in cyvasse.

The timeline between Dany and the Westeros chapters is off, you can't trust the chronologically of the book chapters

The timeline between Dany and the Westeros chapters is off, you can't trust the chronologically of the book chapters

I know it's a bit off, but can't be that much off. I used many different AFFC/ADWD chronology sets found on the net, and none had Daenerys II even remotely close to either The Reaver (when Victarion is sent to fetch Dany) or Tyrion VII (when the widow instructs Tyrion to board the Selaesori Qhoran).

I re-read the chapters where she appears to Dany and I think she is trying to help Dany. She tells Dany not to trust anyone especially the two companions she came with when she first met Dany and yet Dany goes to the HOTU anyways and stays with the one dude (sorry forgot how to spell his name). She tells Dany to leave Qarth as it is not safe for her and her dragons and being around Dany and her dragons makes people's power return and more powerful.

When on ship in Astapor she comes to Dany and again warns her. In my opinion she is trying to help Dany and telling Dany to go to Asshai to find the truth. I was thinking she might also mean Valyria but not sure if Valyria is on the way to Asshai. She never asks anything of Dany or expects anything from her.

I don't know what Quaithe's deal is, but she is clearly weird. She said to Dany "trust no one", hence why should Dany trust her?

I don't know whether Quaithe has visions that she just tells Dany, but I don't really understand why she speaks to Dany in riddles if she knows who she is talking about and what's up. Quaithe must have an agenda, otherwise she wouldn't come to Daenerys. She is most likely interested by the Dragons as dragons originated from Asshai. So she might really be willing to help Daenerys but, so far, all she is doing is putting doubts in Dany's head, she is not really showing her true colors yet.

I think Quaithe is an acquaintance of Melisandre as they both come from Asshai and have possibly met before.

As to her identity, I've seen a lot of people say "Ashara Dayne cannot be Lemore because Tyrion doesn't notice her eyes, she is Quaithe!". But actually, the only features that Dany can see on Quaithe's face are her eyes. And Dany says her eyes are "wet and shiny" but never mentions an eye color. Hence if we follow the same logic as we do with Lemore, Quaithe isn't Ashara Dayne either.

I guess Quaithe is either just Quaithe or someone who has an interest in the Targ family (aka one of the branch of sorceresses: Shiera Seastar or her mommy, or one of their descendants, who knows. IIRC, Shiera didn't take sides during the Blackfyre rebellion. And actually -edit- when Dany sees Quaithe in her dream in ADWD, she has a mask made of stars - if it's a clue at all)

Archived